Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Had a bit of a time with the SC throttle cable. I had to mount it with a spacer to the front trans cross member. SC cable $54.95 RT $23256.57 [img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

I thought I Posted part of my gas line install, but the items are not crossed off my list of cost yet, so here they are. Sorry no pics. Tank reseal kit $79.95, fuel line kit $109.95, Pump mounts $5.90, hard line kit $24.95, tank sender O ring $5.00, fuel tank screen $12.62, hose clamps $10.90, pump and filter were brand new, thanks to PO Total $249.27 RT $23505.84
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Well summer is over again, and its getting colder. Time to put my project away for the winter. I hope to get Vino back on the road early next summer, and finish my posts here on Samba. I hope everyone has a great winter. Now I'm off to Baja, Maybe see some of you on the road down south. Adios Amigos
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Hi everyone. A long time has passed sense my last post, so here is whats happening. I have been doing double checks that timing and censers are all good, everything looks good but still no start. Found a local shop to take look and of corse he found my problem in no time. I was missing a power in on my ECU, So vino lives. time to finish dash and interior installation, get a full alignment and were on the road. YeeeHa Tow dollie $80, Shop time $100 RT $23685.84

Last edited by vino de vano on Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

glad they found your issue quickly!
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

I've been working on finding a strange noise coming from my motor. Sounds like a belt squeal, but it has been found not to be the problem. Checked intake air box and all intake hoses and found no leaks. I now believe it's from the Iris valve in the intake manifold. I did replace the 100 mm o ring. The sound happens right at start up, When I blip the throttle and when I turn it off. Each time it's just a quick short squeal. Anyone else have this issue. The motor sounds great and seams to run very well, But starts to idle up and down when warmed up. I am also trying to finish and clean up my electric system, Found loose and corroded fuses. Fuse box had similar corrosion and had to be replaced. Shoped around and found a killer deal at Hansauto $62.00 delivered. Swap was easy, plug n play, Maybe 2 hours. Still trying to get the subaru cruse control in stalled. Getting closer. Fuse box $62.00 RT $23747.84

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Well as usual life got in the way of getting Vino finished. I lost my electric helper to illness, so that slowed me down. So after finishing some house remodel projects I finally got to it. The wiring had me scared to be sure, but I decided I would just take it one wire at a time. It went well, and after looking at the Sub and VW wiring diagrams repeatedly, I've come to a greater understanding of things I may need to work on in the future. There are still some issues, No tack, I do have continuity from computer to main gauge plug. I replaced the blue foil with the solid-state black box a wire setup from SA, I think. Also my low antifreeze level light is flashing. Flashes as normal at startup and stops, then after 5 or 6 seconds starts flashing again and doesn't stop. I have the aluminum tank and I ran a ground to body from tank mount bolt, not sure what's up with that.Tank is full and overflow bottle is up to line. I installed an oil pressure gauge, works great. At startup I have 70 psi, once up to temp and at idle, around 30 psi, running 10-30 mobile 1 synthetic. But I have not hooked up the idiot light, but it's on. Can I ground it to turn it off? both warning lites are inaccurate, but it's hard to look at while driving. All other electrical systems are working as they should. I found that my speedometer cable top clipon was broken and it was the old two piece, so I ordered the long replacement and new wheel Grommet, install was no issue, speedo and odometer works great. So I have Vino licensed, insured and ready to roll. Only short trips so far, first was to the alignment shop, on the drive home I had the top engine coolant hose almost come off,I adjusted it and got it good and tight. That could have been way worse. I'm running Evans waterless permanent antifreeze, in an attempt to stop corrosion, $36 a gallon,I don't want to spill much of that. Back to driving, my general impression so far is, it's sweet! Smooth, solid and powerful, what more could a guy want. I'll revue all my mods in the future, plus pics. Thanks again to all those who contribute to making The Samba the awesome resource it is. It's great to finally be back on the road! Going somewhere. Mark. latest cost- Evans antifreeze $36 x6 $216.00.-speedo cable $56.83-allinment $90.00.-SA gauge pod wiring $150.00 Total $512.83. RT $24260.67
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Took a drive out east to camp overnight, loving it! stayed warm and comfortable in the bus, wind gusts to 40, no problem. Our dog Roo moved right in. The drive went great, water temp just above the led, oil temp mostly 190 climbing to 220-230 while climbing long hills, oil pressure 25-30 at speed, 20 at idle. Drove really nice, handled well even in the 30-40 mph winds in the gorge, no sports car but not a hand full ether. I read a warning about air scoops coming off at 100mph, well heading home into the wind I got up to 70 hit a gust and my passenger side scoop left the bus. It sheered off the top pins, popped outward and ripped off. I ran back about a quarter mile and recovered the scoop, a little scuffed but in one piece. I need to find a way to more securely attach them, those top plastic pins need to be stronger than they are, any idea's anyone.

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Well folks last summers joy didn't last long. After just a few short drives I was to realize I had a leaky head gasket. When I preped engine I did all the seals, water pump and timing belt. I didn't feel up to pulling heads and went ahead with my install. Turned out to be false economy. So pulled the engine and took it to my local Subaru mechanic late last fall. I made the mistake of telling him no rush, get to it when you slow down this winter. Well things didn't slow down and then along came Carona. After proding him every week or two, I asked him if I could come in and do most of the hands on with his guidance when needed. To my surprise he agreed. I had tried to find piston rings and failed, but my mechanic figured he could, and did. Hastings piston rings. So we took it down all the way except splitting the case or removing the con rods from the crank. All felt great and all bearing surfices look really good so we left it alone. I made a small disk from thin plastic with a center hole to hold the rods centered and honed the barrels. The pistons cleaned up to looking like new, oil rings were completely stuck with old cooked oil. Heads were sent off to be skim cut and fully rebuilt. All went back together without to many challenges, there were a few. Got it home and reinstalled in under two days, I was quite pleased with myself. Fired right up and I did the ring break-in procedure, Ocalating the throttle up and down staying above 1500 RPM, tell warmed up completely, Then a pull through the gear at 50% throttle.then75%and then 100%. Boy this bus flies now. After a few short trips to town and checking things over, We took our first big trip in vino 380 miles in two days to the Oregon Pacific beaches. Great trip no problems, saw 7 or 8 Vanagons almost every one flashed or waved. God its great to be a part of this Wonderfull and remarkable family. Best Health to all. Mark Very Happy rebuild time and parts $1700 he gave me a killer deal. Should have been more like $3000 RT $25960.67

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Looking real good. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Thank you Dobryan. I guess it's time to catch up on my recent mods. I decided to go for the china diesel heater, Went for fire wall instead of floor. Built ABS diesel tank that fits in the loop of my water tank. Vent line runs into the top of the top hat shaped stiffener on the fire wall. Tank holds five quarts. Cost of heater $150, Parts for tank $45.00, Total$195.00. RT $26155.67

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

I made the change to Land Rover mirrors. Brackets work nice, mirrors are as steady as they can get. Far better than my windshield mirror. Brackets and mirrors $125.00 RT $26280.67

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

I mounted a roof rack ahead of my sunroof and figured a wind dieflecter would be a good idea. Rack $150 or so, wind deflecter $60.00, RT $26490.67

Last edited by vino de vano on Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

BTW you are making me feel good about the costs of my euro bus project. It is amazing how it adds up.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
slomoracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

This build is far out awesome, thanks for the posts!
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Dobryan I'm glad it makes you happy. I am enjoying fallowing your build very much, I wish mine was taking a trip to Europe. O-well maybe Baja. Slomoracing Thanks for the enthusiasm and your welcome. Well when I had to remove my engine+trans I took the opportunity to do a trans vent line. The amount of dust stuck to area around the vent was a lot for only 500 miles. No oil leaking from vent so it just atomized oil in the air from the vent causing dust to stick. Installing the vent line was easy with the trans out, One thing to be careful of is you want to drill only the outer case, the drill will pop through and drop only an 1/8 inch before contacting the inner case, do not drill into inner case. For glue I used JB weld. Vent run into top of top hat stiffener on driver side fire wall. For only $15 your vent stays clear. RT $26505.67

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

There is one other improvement I made while the engine and trans where out. A spare 4 gallon gas tank that sits on the frame rails over the trans. 6x6 extruded aluminum, fill and overflow on top, Manual valve on bottom. Fed from gas tank fuel return line. Parts and materials $200.00, Welding shop time $300.00 Total $500.00 RT 27005.67
mock up

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

I did a couple wiring mods installing a flat 4 trailer plug and the blinker genie.
These are sweet, turns the side markers to double duty, normal on and blink with turn signal. blinking is opposite of tail light and really catches the eye. I tied them all in at the wire split in the drivers side rear corner. Blinker genie $35.00, Trailer plug $15.00, Total $50.00 RT $27055.67

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Installed the big shot shifter. Went in with no problems. I had dismantled my entire linkage and so I had to reset it. Made a guess and tried it out,nope only 3 and 4. then I put the trans in first under the van and the shifter to first. Checked both again and snugged the clamp. I know this is not the standard method but it worked and she shifts nice. One question there is a small zirt fitting on the big shot does anyone know if it's for grease, it's very small, or for lite oil. shifter $360.00 RT $27415.67

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Built a cold air intake block off plate for driver side rear box. Aluminum plate $5.00, rubber gromit $6.00, aluminum 45% $20.00, RMW intake $85.00? Total $116.00, RT$27531.67

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: