Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

hello everyone!
I would like to start off with a huge thank you to all of you. The information on samba has been at times a lifesaver in my endeavor to restore and upgrade Vino. She's a 1987 GL manual tin top, titan red, tan interior.
I first met Vino in early summer 2015, drove through the worst Portland traffic I've ever experienced, almost turned around. The photos on Craigs list didn't look all that promising, looked like possible rust in the seams and the engine was barely able to run, possibly just the computer the seller stated in his ad.

Asking price was $2.000.00. Well we made it to the exit, finely off the hell highway. We rolled up to the house and there she sat in the driveway. From the street I was less than impressed, she looked like the pics in the ad, dirty and neglected.
As I approached Vino I realized what I assumed was rust in the seams turned out to be good old Portland mold and dirt.
As I crawled underneath I found it to be rust free with no damage at all. The body was straight but for several small dings in the usual places. I was interested in body condition first and foremost and this looked great.
Reading about rust repair on Samba let me know how big a problem it can be.

Inspection done, time to make a deal, I offered the owner $1.000.00 and he accepted! because the van wasn’t running I arranged to collect it the next day. At home that evening I went back to Craigs list and found a computer, made a quick call and it turns out the seller lives very near the van pickup, SOLD.

Headed in to Portland the next day with truck and tow dolly. Picked up Vino and called the computer seller, he met me in a parking lot by my entry to the freeway. $75 later I was headed home with our new girl and a new brain.

At home I fired Vino up and she ran, not great but no leaks, a short drive around the block. Brakes seem good, running so so, shifts well. Next day she would not start so I figured I might as well install the new ECU and Bamm she runs like a top.
Next we removed all the rear seats, built a quick bed platform, some window covers and off we went to the Younder mountain bluegrass festival. It was sweet camping in Vino and my wife loves her.
On our way home after a wonderful weekend. About 10 miles toward home Vino suddenly started to run like poop, remembering reading about vanagon syndrome I simply pulled over shut off and restarted, no more issue, thanks #1 to Samba. If I had not read this info I would have spent time on the side of road trying to figure out what had let go. As it was it was a great trip.

I love the cab forward driving position and what a view out that windsheld! Engine is very strong but its just a empty tin top. I didn’t want to risk Vino going up in flames so I started acquiring all the parts it would take to make Vino into my dream van. Now after over two years I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. My modifications included installing a Subaru SVX and I’m in the middle of harness installation. I am using the cruise control from the SVX with a generic control stock and landRover vac pump and actuator.
If any of you in the Portland area have done this conversion and could help with advice or help let me know. My only question now is if my 87 GL has the pre wires for the CC, if so I can’t seem to find them in front or back in the engine bays black connector box.

Now it’s time to try to give something back to the Samba community. I will be posting the process I went through in hope it helps inspire or inform anyone who is on the same road. I will admit I am not a fabricator More of a assembler. My project was done with mostly store bought solutions. My hats off to the master fabricators and salvage yard scavengers.
I would like to run a continuous list of actual cost of parts and supplies if this is ok on this forum and anybody is interested. I have added two shots of Vino the day we brought her home, after arrival at our house and after her first bath. Another question, how many pics per post is appropriate? I’d just like to say, I’m addicted to Samba and I love our van!
Thanks for reading. Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

Shiny van man!!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

Glad the information found in this site was helpful!

Post all the photos you desire, we LOVE pictures!

Documentation of your work is appreciated by those considering a similar path.

Welcome to the site! Hope to see a lot of you as you educate us about your Van and the work you've done.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

In the beginning there was the engine. I found it locally on crags list for $1500. It included all needed converion parts from SVX. plus two starters, manual fly wheel, two air flow meters,new timing belt and idlers, first gen SC bell housing, SC engine mount and a modified wiring harness. priced out over $2000 for the conversion parts. So almost like a free engine. Engine supposedly has less than 10000 miles and was tested and found in good condition. The seller had a beautiful Synchro with a svx and was collecting parts to build one for his wife. But decided to move to Hawii and so was liquidating. Nice guy probably a Samba member. I have loaded pics of my build so far, some 440 odd pics, in the gallery. I will be doing a small write up on each group of pics, but for those of you that can't wait please go to my gallery pics, there are only short descriptions but you'll get the jist of it. Cost so far - Engine and parts $1500, Vino $1000, car dolly $75. Total$2.575.00 and away we go.[img]

Last edited by vino de vano on Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

My 87 had the CC wires in it. It is a flat white 3 wire plug. It was just loose in the Black wiring box. Unsure of the colors without looking, but every 87 I have seen has them.
Oh , just because we love to nitpick on Samba the color of your van "Titian Red"
Make sure you service your transmission and Constant Velocity joints before you put that 3.3 monster behind it.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

16CV's glad to here from you. you mentioned on one of the CC posts your recommendation both Land Rover CC pump and actuator combo. I acquired same and would like to know if you would mind putting up a diagram of the plug input pins? Thanks either way, I've enjoyed reading your posts, and thanks for the input on the factory CC wires, for whatever reason mine are nowhere to be seen. As for the titian red my spell check did not see it. And I a 59 year old computer challenged dyslexic will endeavor to do the best I am able. I installed 930 CV's and axels, Tranny totally reworked by German Transaxle in Bend OR. Also I detuned it a bit with a new chip. Warning Taken.
[img]

[/img]

[img]
[/img]

Last edited by vino de vano on Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

Does your L/R pump have a circular plug or a flat one? I can look at my plug and give you colors. If circular it is the same as a VW or any European installed C/C.
On an earlier C/C install I used trailer wire, which is good as you can use the 4th wire as your CEL for your conversion.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

Thanks for responding so quickly, mine has the long rectangular plug.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

Right on! Looks fun.

Where in the Gorge are you? I'm in Hood River and surprisingly I've only encountered one other from the Gorge on The Samba.
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

hOOdrat yes the rebuild has been fun, but very long. I'm really looking forward to driving Vino again. PM me your phone # and will meet up. I'm about 13 miles from you in Rowena.

Last edited by vino de vano on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

started with the front suspension. installed Rebuilt stearing rack, G60 break kit, SS break lines, new wheel bearings, new rubber stearing shaft connectors, koni shocks and power flex bushings through out. Went well, but I had to have a shop press my lower ball joints out and then back in after painting. had a time with the sway bar drop links, screwed two peaces of twoxfour to some ply, this made it fairly easy to pop the end links onto the bar. Unfortunately as i bolted in the end links, with the suspension at full drop, they continued to pop back off. I have sense read that they should be attached with no grease, ho well after three times on and off, I finally got it. So thats $33.90 for tie rod ends, $50? for lower ball joints, $16.95 for steering cupler, $688.91 for power flex bushings, $274.91 for rebuilt rack, $100.00 for carrot springs, $58.00 for wheel bearings, $200.00 for Koni shocks, Big break kit $799.00 . Total $2221.62 Running total $4796.67 After cleaning and painting everything went together as it should with no modification or extreme challings. I'm very happy with the results [img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]

Last edited by vino de vano on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

very nice, keep the pictures coming Smile

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

Removed dashboard and heater box. New fome seals (truck shell fome) on all three air control flaps, new fan, new jeep fan resistor (posted by dhaavers), And my old good heater core. Be carful splitting the box, I used a hot exacto knife, and careful with the internal flap retention clips. That have a little release button, do not force. Also take a pic of your flap orientation to refer to at reassembly. I'm looking forward to good air and temp control. $17.99 Jeep resister, $60.00 heater fan, $15.00 fome Total $92.99 running total $4889.66 [img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

New radiator in. Easy R and R. Also took the opportunity to clean and paint fan shroud. $204.18 radiator, $79.95 front hose kit, $5.50 rubber pad washers. Total $289.63 Running total $5179.29 [img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

Got the engine ant trans out. Came out well. Easyer than I anticipated. Took a good look around plenty of dirt but no rust. Cost $0[img]
[/img]
[img][/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

got after the rear suspension, again clean and paint Install new parts. Wheel bearing and seals $126.00, SS break lines $55.90, Slave cylinders $29.90, Break shoes $49.95, Break master cylinder $59.95, Koni shocks $215.20, Rubber spring pads $10.00, Power flex bushings $139.98. Total $686.88 Running total $5866.17[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

Time for wheels and tires. Lorinser and Hankouk, Fixed wheel curbing and repaint outer rim. Spacers, lug bolts, Studs and lug nuts from T3, Thanks Chris. Wheels $400.00 off CL, Tires mount and balance $804.80, front 12 MM spacers $79.89, Rear 20 MM spacers $79.89, Small ball lug bolts 45 MM $29.90, 65 MM studs $49.90, Small ball lug nuts $19.90. Total $1464.28 Running Total $7330.45 [img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

Took a belt sander to the SC oil pan, looks far better. Will ad pan to cost list on engine build up. [img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

Under the seats looks great, I removed the battery and there it was, rust! Fortunately it was only surface rust, no flaking, so wire brushed, treated and Por 15. That should take care of it for a good long time. Also began installing Dynamat. [img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of my 87 GL Tintop Reply with quote

With the help of my friends, we installed Dynamat ( easy to work with) huge change in sound. What was once rang now it thuds. Also two to three layers of mylar bubble insulation. Applied with 3M spray adhesive. Cost Dynamat $178.00, Mylar $60.00, Adhesive $15.00. Total $253.00 Running total $7583.45 [img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: