Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Installed under floor wiring and installed floor. [img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img][/list]
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Ground clearance, Ten inches. I think that will do. [img]
[/img]
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Heater and water system all installed. [img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Here is a mod I saw on Samba. But it used PVC pipe with a slot to pop it on and off. I made mine out of one inch aluminum tubing. Fits perfect! Slips right over shock, not lose and not to tight. Cut a bit shorter than the length of the shock inner shaft. Unhook from van at the van, not the hatch. Slide on, reattach shock and your done. It lives right on the shock, no need to remove and store. [img]
[/img]

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

The hiding spot of my spare engine. 127000 miles runs like a dream. Hope I never need it. SVX $400.00 not added to running total. [img]
[/img]
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Another Samba idea. Used spray rubber on the under side of engine lid. Reflective tape on top. Two great ideas. Spray on rubber $18.95,reflectors $15.88. Total $34.83 RT $22828.73 [img]
[/img]
[/img]
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

I cleaned the dash up and added a birch trim strip. [img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Ducted snorkel to drivers side air intake. Instaled the tank from RMW $224.10 RT $23052.83 [img]
[/img]

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Gave Vino a different voice. I installed the duel horns from the SVX. [img]
[/img]
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Found a drink holder. A exellent fit hooked with one screw to the seat stop. It had a nice recess for my bass level control. Holder $5.99 RT $23058.82 [img]
[/img]
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

All new parts for the rear shift linkage, plus delren bushings from GW for the shaft guides. Ball lever on trans $19.00, Boot from trans to lever $9.95, Socket arm $40.95, Boot for socket $12.95, GW bushings $59.95. Total $142.80 Running Total $23201.62 [img]
[/img]

Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Dang.... I'm whupped just reading this!

Looks great! Inspiring. I like the engine compartment lid mod, great idea.

Awaiting the secret of the aluminum window blank...."will have hole"...hmmm, arrowslits in case your surrounded by menacing Winnabego's?!? Drive up coffee shack mean barista protection plate?..no? Think
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

go buy heavy duty struts, i have a bent tail gate, a previous owner i guess forgot, and pulled down hard, it only lets water in now, when it's raining.
it's false economy, if someone else tries to shut your tailgate and does not notice the pipe on their, you will have the same issue.

vino de vano wrote:
Here is a mod I saw on Samba. But it used PVC pipe with a slot to pop it on and off. I made mine out of one inch aluminum tubing. Fits perfect! Slips right over shock, not lose and not to tight. Cut a bit shorter than the length of the shock inner shaft. Unhook from van at the van, not the hatch. Slide on, reattach shock and your done. It lives right on the shock, no need to remove and store. [img]
[/img]

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Thanks Alaskaberrys. It's been great to get to know each part up close and personal, but yes a lot of time and work. Good guesses on the window panel but not it. Hay Rubbachicken, Ya I thought of that so I put them on both struts, you would have to pull down really hard to do damage. Yours was most likely only on one, that can cause real damage. Thanks for the heads up though.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

so now you need 3 hands to close the tail gate

vino de vano wrote:
Thanks Alaskaberrys. It's been great to get to know each part up close and personal, but yes a lot of time and work. Good guesses on the window panel but not it. Hay Rubbachicken, Ya I thought of that so I put them on both struts, you would have to pull down really hard to do damage. Yours was most likely only on one, that can cause real damage. Thanks for the heads up though.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Sorry Rubbachicken, I should have explained that my struts are in good working order, and work as they should. I only plan to use them when it needs the extra support. I have the add a room for the rear, witch is hung from the hatch. I would prefer the hatch be solid when I use it for this. There easy to use with good struts, just lift a little, slide tubes onto body of strut. Close hatch as normal and away you go. Did you really think I would leave worn out struts on Vino?
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

The reason for my aluminum window filler is? It will have an opening two inch square, for the charcoal heater I made. It will sit on a insulated plate covering my sink. It works well but I would do it slightly different If ever make another. Not shown in pics are a bolt on elbow and two foot vertical chimney . [/img]
[img]
[/img]
All air for combustion comes from out side van.

Last edited by vino de vano on Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Love this build and subscribed for more!
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

vino de vano wrote:
The reason for my aluminum window filler is? It will have an opening two inch square, for the charcoal heater I made. It will sit on a insulated plate covering my sink. It works well but I would do it slightly different If I ever make another. Not shown I pics are a bolt on elbow and two foot vertical chimney . [/img]All air for combustion comes from out side van.

Ha! Your right, never guessed that! Hot water, cabin heat...looks like your ready to come north Cool
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Thanks Aryana. I'm almost done with my catch up on Vino's build, and there is not to much left. But I'm vary glad you are enjoying the build. Hay Alaskaberrys. Nope not heading north, Vino is our summer ride, I just don't like cold at my age.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: