Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bent, dented radius rod
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

Hey Vanagon owners,

I've finished tearing apart my front end. Had several bolts snap and shear and refuse to come out. Ended up having to burn them out with a torch and redrill the holes. Tried drilling, beating, heating, nothing worked. Everything is now cleaned and painted and ready for reassembly. One problem: one of my radius rods is slightly bent and there is a large dent in the threads. See pictures below.

Question is: Can I reuse this? The dent seems like it's in a place where it wouldn't be in the way of making adjustments (I found it underneath the metal sleeve, nowhere near either of the nuts.) I talked to Chris at T3 and he said it was probably best to get another one, but I can't find one anywhere. Anybody know where I can get one of these, or anybody have an extra one lying around? Part # 251068.

You can see a slight bend here.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see the dent here.

This is the complete part.

Thanks for any help,
Jacob.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

I would replace it.

What do you think about that?
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

I can't imagine that nut getting past the damaged threads...
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
I would replace it.

What do you think about that?

I think that's the right thing to do, but can't find a damn replacement anywhere. Anybody know the website for that huge vanagon graveyard I saw posted somewhere a few years back? I know they sell parts but can't remember what it was called.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

I'm going to booed at and hissed at and ridiculed but.......

When restoring antiques that have NLA parts in them, you do what must be done to get them safely on the road.

The best would be new...... But that ain't happening.
Second best is quality used..... But apparently that ain't happening.
Third best is to remanufacture, repair and reuse.

Weld up the missing chunk, file it smooth and run the proper die over the repair cutting new and restoring the threads.

Using heat and whatever means you have, remove the bend from the rod as well.

You'll invest hours fixing this but once done properly it will be a 100% serviceable part.

We live in a "just buy a new one" society and Vanagon history clearly teaches us that new is NOT always better than OG.

Trouble is that the level of skill in America to make repairs like this is dwindling away quickly as the competent elders retire and die.

Just my opinion, but that's what I would do..... Oh wait! I'm one of the "competent" elders! 😳

Let the naysayers begin! 😂

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

When restoring antiques that have NLA parts in them, you do what must be done to get them safely on the road.

Weld up the missing chunk, file it smooth and run the proper die over the repair cutting new and restoring the threads.

You'll invest hours fixing this but once done properly it will be a 100% serviceable part.

We live in a "just buy a new one" society and Vanagon history clearly teaches us that new is NOT always better than OG.

Trouble is that the level of skill in America to make repairs like this is dwindling away quickly as the competent elders retire and die.

Just my opinion, but that's what I would do..... Oh wait! I'm one of the "competent" elders! 😳

Dave

Ya know dave, I was considering this. I am a union ironworker and a competent welder, I have some of the most rigorous certifications in welding that the state of ohio requires and have thousands of hours of on the job experience welding all sorts of things. I am also a millennial though, and want instant gratification, so If I can't find a good used or new part, that is obviously the route I'd rather go. Not nearly as satisfying as rehabbing the old one, but what the hell, If I can find it, why not.

I found the website for the vanagon graveyard, vuhvanagon.com and emailed them seeing what they can do. If they don't have one/won't sell that part, I'll go the competent elder way. Perhaps I'll be a better mechanic/vanagon owner because of it.

Thanks for the comment dave!

Jacob.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

I agree, it could be repaired without too much fanfare. However, before going that route I would place a wanted ad in the classifieds here and contact a seller by the name of sleepyjoe. He always has vans he is parting out.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

Dave,
You slipped a Terrence in there and got away with it.

If I suggested welding it up and running the appropriate die down the end of that rod, it always has been poo-poo'ed.

JB weld it, the usual blah, blah, blah.
And somehow the OP is a welder.
You better go to Vegas & get on the craps table.

That area is no big deal to lay a couple of beads on to repair the threads, unless there's something you ain't telling us.

A hidden, unknown issue.

You could have this knocked out in 45 minutes-- tops.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

I'd leave it alone - there's enough meat left. Just find a new sleeve to go over it, and don't leave it so long until next check. Razz
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

I know it isn't critical--how bout this:

Lets forget the cob jobbing and repair it right.

It's easy for you to say--slap it together--
Sure--why not?
It ain't your van or your ass.

Great---
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
I'd leave it alone - there's enough meat left. Just find a new sleeve to go over it, and don't leave it so long until next check. Razz

No, there is a reason it wore in that spot or was damaged in that spot.
If you leave the shaft damaged you risk having play, play in front suspension components creates all sorts of unwanted behaviour.
Minimize the risk, install tight components while you have the opportunity to do so.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

jacob. wrote:

fxr wrote:
I'd leave it alone - there's enough meat left.
djkeev wrote:
No, there is a reason it wore in that spot or was damaged in that spot.

What the heck caused that? Was it wear, corrosion, collision?

I'm a little surprised those are difficult to find.

As it is, the strength has been reduced maybe 5%? Welding it up will change the strength by plus or minus 20%. Not worth it. It's not a 45 minutes repair if you consider a couple hours searching online for that unobtanium fine-thread die. TK doesn't have that thread die, nobody does. And the careful welding, and grinding, (or sanding) to get it round enough for fine threads will be time consuming. Add the $80 for the die if you ever find one, and time better spent searching for a $40 replacement rod. It will be a whole day for + or - 20% strength.

I suppose that wound is entirely beneath the sleeve? What "front end play" would result? You can spacer the nut rearward, as long as the nut spins, allows leeway for proper alignment.

Not a big problem either way, of course replacement is best if you can find one before it has to go back together..

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

I agree with Mr. Sodo. I am neither a welder nor a metallurgist, but an interest in tool steel properties especially with respect to changes in temperature lead me to think the benefits of welding are strictly cosmetic, and the occult changes to the qualities of the steel from putting a fat bead in the divot will have a greater negative impact than restoring its outer appearance.

Craigslist is your friend. look for someone with a yard full of vanagons. They are out there. Maybe not in your city but nearby, or within the postman's reach.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

That isn't a high demand replacement part so you are unlikely to find one listed for sale in the classifieds.
Have you replied to any of the ads in the classifieds found with a search term of parting?
Jason26, sleepyjoe and vwcultmember always seem to be parting out vans...
Have you called interstate used parts?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

That part doesn't need to be threaded (as long as the inner nut is already on). It wore through because the sleeve around it wore through - because the outer bush wore through - all grinding against the big hole in the frame.

As long as new bushes and a new sleeve are fitted, it'll be fine. I'd use it as is if it were mine. The big hole in the frame might need some attention though, there are no pics of that so who knows.

Welding will change the strength in ways unknown to me - but I bet it'd weaken the tensile strength of that part.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

jacob. wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Ya know dave, I was considering this. I am a union ironworker and a competent welder, I have some of the most rigorous certifications in welding that the state of ohio requires and have thousands of hours of on the job experience welding all sorts of things. I am also a millennial though, and want instant gratification, so If I can't find a good used or new part, that is obviously the route I'd rather go. Not nearly as satisfying as rehabbing the old one, but what the hell, If I can find it, why not.

I found the website for the vanagon graveyard, vuhvanagon.com and emailed them seeing what they can do. If they don't have one/won't sell that part, I'll go the competent elder way. Perhaps I'll be a better mechanic/vanagon owner because of it.

Jacob.

I cant stop laughing...this made my day! Thanks for that! Very Happy
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

kalispell365 wrote:
jacob. wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Jacob.

I cant stop laughing...this made my day! Thanks for that! Very Happy

Glad I could put a smile on your face. I do enjoy making people laugh, even if at my own expense. Very Happy

I did search for quite a while for the die that will work on this rod. Couldn't find it. It actually doesn't seem to exist. What I did was heat the rod, straighten it, and run the nut up and down the length of the threads a few times. A couple of spots on the threads I had to use a thread file on, but all cleaned up now. Nut goes up and down the entire length by hand for the most part now.

I'll call this good. Perhaps I should edit the title and put a *resolved* in it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Appreciate it.

Jacob.
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
That part doesn't need to be threaded (as long as the inner nut is already on). It wore through because the sleeve around it wore through - because the outer bush wore through - all grinding against the big hole in the frame.

As long as new bushes and a new sleeve are fitted, it'll be fine. I'd use it as is if it were mine. The big hole in the frame might need some attention though, there are no pics of that so who knows.

Welding will change the strength in ways unknown to me - but I bet it'd weaken the tensile strength of that part.

Surprisingly, the hole in the frame is still round.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

Neither here nor there, just more nerdy info.

That radius rod is a forging - it's a very strong unit, with longitudinal grain. It's strong like a tool. Those threads were rolled (not cut) for higher strength and resistance to fatigue cracking of this critical control component. Threads are very fine, for reasons of alignment adjustment, and fine threads have more resistance to turning (changing the adjustment settings). Highly unlikely there is a thread cutter die available anywhere, the tool would probably have to be custom-made.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent, dented radius rod Reply with quote

Sodo,
What is the size & pitch on them threads on the end of that rod?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: