Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

====== EDIT =========
These instructions are for the Girling 4143 caliper, as sold by Smallcar.com and Burley from appx 2009 to 2016.
For the PROCEDURE, jump to page 2. Its simple.
My rear discs had no parking brake for 7 years. Now it will hold the van on a hill, but just barely. Also doing an emergency stop, braking power was undetectable. Now it holds back a little, stopping the van from 20mph in 72 feet. Not great for emergencies.

Others claim their brakes work better than this. I would prefer better performance, but I'm enjoying at least SOME parking brake now.

===================

Some folks are claiming their Audi parking brakes work and for that I am extremely envious. Mine have ZERO (to 1%) parking brake therefore it must be a "setup problem". If there exists a method, I'm hoping to create a HOW-TO thread with a specific, searchable subject. Here goes.

My rear brakes were installed by Smallcar in 2009. I took it back and mentioned the parking brake didn't work. They clickety-clicked it, felt the pull on the handle and proclaimed "I tried it, it feels fine". They did not address "holding power" didn't even move the van, just pulled the handle.

The behavior of my brakes suggests that the ebrake mechanism is NOT producing any squeeze upon the pads. While the Hydraulic footbrake performance is "stellar", the handbrake is about a ZERO ....

----------------

So far, I've found two different Audi brake setup schemes that contradict mightily. Does anyone have a procedure from Burley?

Samba member wesitarz recently posted the UK info. Reading thru the UK Audifans site caliper disassembly instructions page the UK audi fella (Phil Payne) instructs (in a much more detailed manner):
    1) Preset the initial position of the caliper piston carefully (by screwing piston outward on its e-brake screw). On the piston preset page he tells you to measure the stackup of the pads/disc you have and preset the piston on its e-brake screw with 1mm clearance (for fitting).
    2) bleed the brakes completely using the footbrake. Be careful to NOT MOVE the ebrake actuator before the hydraulic system is completely bled. he recommends to disconnect the handbrake cable, to ENSURE the caliper e-brake actuator is not moved prior to bleeding the hydraulics.
    THEN
    3) the handbrake being preset will self-adjust with use.

Contrast this with Smallcar instructions (unchanged since ~2009):

Smallcar disc brake instructions:
    1) operate the handbrake cable 20-30 times
    THEN
    2)bleed the brake fluid.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So here we go. I got calipers off, gotta do something else for awhile but back at it this eve or tomorrow. Anybody want to work along? Cool Cool

Does anybody on theSamba have experience setting up these brakes?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:35 pm; edited 7 times in total
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How to setup Smallcar REAR disc e-brake (parking brake) Reply with quote

Have you backed off the adjusting nut at the equalizer bar under the van? This would be your final adjustment as your cables are probably pulled really tight now? I suspended the equalizer bar loosely from the frame so it would pull more equally on each brake cable. Hope it works for you.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: How to setup Smallcar REAR disc e-brake (parking brake) Reply with quote

I loosened the nut at the equalizer bar all the way then disconnected the cables, and removed the calipers. The plan is to setup the calipers per the UK Audi guy's instructions and put it back together.

How is everyone else doing it?

Handbrake first then bleed. (Smallcar method)
    or
    Bleed first, then handbrake (UK Audi method)

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: How to setup Smallcar REAR disc e-brake (parking brake) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

or

You have experienced the small car way and it seem not to work, so I would try the UK way.
There is a third way. Sell what you have and install new drums and hardware. They hold and millions are in use.
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: How to setup Smallcar REAR disc e-brake (parking brake) Reply with quote

Michael4104 wrote:
Sodo wrote:

or

You have experienced the small car way and it seem not to work, so I would try the UK way.
There is a third way. Sell what you have and install new drums and hardware. They hold and millions are in use.

Hasn't it been proven that rear disks have better stopping power than drums - hence the reason for the conversions for heavy vans with more powerful engines, etc.?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: How to setup Smallcar REAR disc e-brake (parking brake) Reply with quote

Micheal certainly returning to drums is an option if this plea goes dark like others have. I spent $1100 on this kit and have been trying to resolve this since 2009. I should have asked for them to switch it back. I don't have my parts anymore but would LIKE to make these discs work at least as well as some other members have.

Discs (especially vented discs) are better than drums for stopping power. Especially on long downhills, higher speeds, and the heavier GVW that of bigger engines have offered our old vans. You can carry more stuff, and stop. They handle overheating better. There are some good reasons. People do get kinda frustrated with drum brakes though, I don't know if its genuine or just the spectre of shiny new discs is what sours them to re-newing their drums.

But the parking brake (or the safety of a last-ditch-effort emergency brake) are not as good as a drum, in comparison. Mostly because a drum brake is self-energizing, which means when you try to rotate the drum, it draws the brake shoe in 'tighter'. This works even better 'from stopped' or parked, resulting in higher static friction, resistance to 'get rolling'. Discs cannot do this, once they slip a little, they require INCREASED pressure, which a foot or brake-booster can do, but an un-manned cable cannot. Thus the Van rolls.

I started this thread IN HOPES we can get theSamba minds together to "publish" a method on the forum, HOW to get a disc-parking brake to work. Some members out there have WORKING disc parking brakes. How did you do the initial setup of the caliper? I composed this subject title carefully to be searchable to Samba members with rear disc "upgrades". I respectfully ask to keep this discussion to Rear Disc parking brake setup.

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: CALIPER setup Smallcar REAR disc (e-brake&parking brake) Reply with quote

What is this, like your sixth thread on this very topic? Have you looked at Audi and/or EV brake setups with the exact same parking brakes? I have both vehicles in my driveway, and they each work perfectly fine. I've never once had to adjust the parking brake on my Audi, even though I've owned it for over a decade.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Smallcar REAR disc CALIPER setup (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

So...in light of all that you have tired over the years and seeing how you generally take the scientific/engineering approach to things, why not go into this as a two-part experiment.

A few people have claimed to have changed nothing but the cables which resulted in better parking brake performance. I know you have shunned that idea in the past, so why not try the "UK way" to adjust the calipers and if that doesn't work, try a set of the Lokar universal cable kits just to put that to rest one way or the other.

If you try those last two things, I can't think of any other thing that you could possibly try other than moving on to something else. At least that way you can say that you have literally tried about every single thing possible to get them to work.

Just a thought!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Smallcar REAR disc CALIPER setup (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

I appreciate what you are doing Sodo. I don't see it as beating a dead horse, I see it more of separating the wheat from the chaff.

Stop me before I use any more metaphors.

I hope this thread stays on track, a technical exploration, and that my show of support does not lead to an off topic derailment.

Keep it up Sodo,

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Smallcar REAR disc CALIPER setup (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Looking at the Audi Bentley for the 5000 family up through 1988 it shows a couple variations of the rear calipers with some differences in setup procedures. They emphasize the need to leave the parking cable adjustment for last and do the basic setup first while making sure the cables are loose.

What markings are on the calipers in question? Brand, numbers....

Mark
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Smallcar REAR disc CALIPER setup (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
A few people have claimed to have changed nothing but the cables which resulted in better parking brake performance. I know you have shunned that idea in the past

Have NOT shunned cables per se, I've focused HEAVILY on the cables. Maybe shunned buying bigger cables I'll give ya that. One power-posting fella years ago said his disc brakes can skid the rear tires on pavement, but he would NOT help any members to spec out the special cables he uses. I wouldv'e done cables, but couldn't get myself to special-order cables based on a forum post, where the guy won't even share the info.

During that time (years) I checked out the cables I have, which were new, and flawless (so to speak). I made a custom bracket to straighten out the path of the housing (the bowden?), to be perhaps the wickedest cable path in the history of vanagoning. I reveled in the positive feel and the two perhaps three clicketyclicks. This modification had ZERO effect on braking.

And then some fellas have found larger cables for $120-$190 on Amazon that can be easily fitted to the Vanagon.

All the time I've been trying to imagine how stronger cables could possibly result in more tension on the actuator arm. It can't, a stiffer cable just reduces the click-count. But I can already set clicks to any number I want by twirling a single m6 nut. I gots extra clicks up the yin-yang. Rolling Eyes

So next step, how much tension can that brake lever actually generate? I did some measurements and determined a 40 lb pull creates 280lbs output. That's 140 lbs per brake cable. Not a lot, pretty easy for an engineer, knowing that 3/32 cable holds like 1500 lbs, conclude "it ain't the cables". But I could be wrong. In any case I reduced the cable tension necessary by welding extensions to the lever arm at the far end, reducing necessary cable tension by 70%. My cables just got 70% stronger, basically. No effect.

During that time, others have posted of success with cables, but I'm not really on the cable program,,,,. But I could be.

It's more likely a setup error or caliper defect, that's what I want to discuss first. The cable contingent may benefit too if this pans out.

===========

Thanks for your help Mark! I'm very interested re: "What would Bentley do?"

Now I understand why I couldn't find the partno, I was looking at the passenger side caliper which the p/n is obliterated by rust. Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like 12 32 23 9274

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Smallcar REAR disc CALIPER setup (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

No real setup for me. I just made sure the park brake cables had the correct tension on it like a factory VW rear caliper. Then I just adjusted the center nut until the cables weren't too tight, and weren't too loose. No adjustments have been needed since then, almost 55000 KM ago (over 34000 miles).
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Smallcar REAR disc CALIPER setup (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

My kit was installed by a shop .I gave them the Smallcar instructions and they didn't say they had a problem or changed anything,so I don't know what they did for sure. I did change the pads last year to PBR ceramics and screwed the piston in using my big C-clamp which actually turned the piston (next time I'll use the proper tool) and wasn't too particular about the clearance - just enough to get the caliper back on. I did pump the pedal and bleed before pulling the handbrake lever for sure and everything worked OK. I have not re-adjusted at the equalizer bar under the van.
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Smallcar REAR disc CALIPER setup (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Quote:
What markings are on the calipers in question? Brand, numbers....

Mark

Pretty sure those are Girling 4143 calipers. You can make it out on the caliper on the left. Those are pretty rusty! I have a couple of sets I pulled at the jy for this project down the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Smallcar REAR disc CALIPER setup (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Sodo- have you tried activating the ebrake caliper mechanism by hand with the brakes off the car? Perhaps you could rig up something with some leverage to pull on the caliper actuator whilst in a vice or something. Maybe the mechanism is stuck?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Smallcar REAR disc CALIPER setup (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

These calipers have 30,000 miles. I don't know if they were new when installed at Smallcar, that one looks pretty old.

PC thats a great suggestion, too dang simple I tellya. It should advance the piston of course!! I've never tried it without a disc.

Can see (passenger side) tightening the pads onto the disc. But theres no way to guess how hard its gripping until driving it. Will try it with no disc to see if it appears to advance beyond the disc thickness.

All the sliders look good, will add grease and reassemble, try to set it up like UK guys instructions, (and bentley) do all the bleeding etc first.

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Smallcar REAR disc CALIPER setup (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Mrs. Howesight and I both drive modified URS4/6 Audi cars. Although the front brakes are modified, the rear brakes we use are stock, in excellent condition and properly adjusted. They are the same set used in the SmallCar kit and a few other vendors' kits.

I have to say, they are quite weak on the parking brake application which I know because I like to do e-brake turns whenever Mrs. Howesight becomes complacent with my more hum-drum driving. I find I can only do a good e-brake 180 (or 270) turn on shiny concrete and barely any e-brake turn on asphalt.

I realize that the requirements on the Syncro Westfalia have more to do with not rolling off the campsite into the river than the ability to do any hooning. Absent you folks finding a solution, I would not use these brakes to hold my Westy overnight. On my Westy, I still have my antique drums which I admit are not great for dissipating heat.

Sodo, if you and other posters here solve this mystery, I am ready to try some of my Lucas caliper spares on my Westy. Apart from the Lucas rebuild data sheet and my comments above, I can't contribute much to this discussion. Popcorn

Here's a link to the exploded view of this brake system with part numbers:

http://12v.org/urs/RearBrakePNs.jpg

Here's a link to the Lucas publication XZB137on these Lucas Calipers:

http://www.20v.org/brakere.htm
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How to setup Smallcar REAR disc e-brake (parking brake) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
The plan is to setup the calipers per the UK Audi guy's instructions and put it back together.

Sodo, those instructions are for the ur-quattro. Have you determined that your calipers, likely from a later vehicle, are similar enough to the ur quattro's to work with those procedures?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Smallcar REAR disc CALIPER setup (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Thanks Howesight for your assessment of URS4/6 brakes. I don't know anything about a URS4/6, but you wrote that your car(s) having Lucas calipers. The Smallcar and others use Girling 4143 calipers. Knowing Audis (or at least the URS4/6 model) do you think these piston preset instructions apply to the Girling 4143 calipers?

The "UR-quattro" instructions unearthed by Wesitarz include the words "5-cylinder Mechanic", FWIW.
Mark referred to Audi 5000 procedures. WildWsty, I have not proceeded on these "UR-Quattro" instructions yet, have been procrastinating on other projects, hoping more "setup info" will float up on theSamba. I need to first look inside at the e-brake mechanisms prior to bolting them back on, so have a little time.

The plot is thickening. I need help with the language of Lucas, Girling4143, URS4/6, Audi5000, 20v and UR-quattro etc. Can anyone translate this to Girling 4143?

Phil Payne (UK guy) writes in his UR-Quattro instructions in step 2&3 of setup conditions: "if there is play between the piston and pads, handbrake function will not be achieved." Note he previously recommended cables be disconnected to avoid even wiggling the actuator lever during initial setup.

Wesitarz that's interesting yours were installed with no fanfare. If any of you Girling4143 (smallcar/burley) owners have trick you have used (unknowingly?) please reply.

wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup PROCEDURE" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

The caliper and pads are from a 90-94 Audi V8 quattro. The rotor is from a 91 Audi 200 quattro 20v (Zimmerman). I don't see an external handbrake adjustment screw on these calipers so they must be self-adjusting like the ur quattro. Both are the same vintage (80s and 90s) so I think the mechanism should be similar if not the same. The other thing to consider is that the kits contained reman calipers. Does reman include a new handbrake mechanism - probably not in my mind. Maybe some are more worn than others. You can check them out on Rockauto. On some pics you can see 4143 last time I looked.
How did my pad replacement work? Just lucky I think. I want to replace the flex lines with SS and replace the rotors with new Zimmermans next spring,so I will have them apart again and plan to do it the UK way with the right piston tool. Looking forward to your outcome and write-up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: