Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup PROCEDURE" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

We have a van in the shop with the small car calipers. Park brake mechanism rusted solid. Can't actuate it with my hand at all.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup PROCEDURE" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
What is this, like your sixth thread on this very topic? Have you looked at Audi and/or EV brake setups with the exact same parking brakes?

Hey! over 7 years of non function have I posted more than once per year? Confused Confused And one entire thread was required to debunk the 3-clicks legend. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Zeit I'm still looking forward to your thread how to adapt one of those to to a Vanagon. Laughing Laughing Not too confident this will ever work, but what a way to blow it, right?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup PROCEDURE" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

I took both calipers completely apart. Can't find any problem. Both actuators look the same, behave the same. Both advance 0.068 inches by lock-to-lock actuator rotation. looks good inside. Seals good, boots good (but they're only 30k miles).

========= OK, ONWARD TO SETUP ============

I put it all back together, and preset the pistons per the UKguys instructions. Kinda,,,,,, except a lot simpler. I ground the rust-rim off the disc so I could slide the caliper easily onto the disc. Inserted the brake pads into the caliper. Then by measurement, adjustment, etc I set the pistons just a little wider than the disc. Then with a screwdriver, was able to easily adjust the final amount to be about 1mm or less (wider than the disc thickness).

See pics below, it's pretty easy to do.

Disconnect your brake cables and make sure the caliper's cable brake actuators are all the way "out" (as their spring drives them).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Measure the dic thickness and set the pads appx that wide. You can see the distance from the piston to the pad

Tip the pad outward to get access to the piston.

With a waterpump plier, turn the piston to drive it outward. It's a course right-hand thread, it moves outward quickly.

Bolt the caliper onto the disc. Wiggle it on its sliders and watch the clearance between the disc and the pads. With a screwdriver you can turn the piston a little tighter if necessary, until there's less than 1 mm clearance between pads and disc.

Connect the brake lines. Open the bleeders and let the disc calipers slowly fill by gravity. When the fluid starts to run out of the bleeders, perform your final bleeding process, and your footbrake should be firm.

Hook up the cables, and adjust your brake handle to the desired number of clicks. There are 12 clicks. Internet legend prefers the low count (3 clicks) but the vanagon handle offers 20% more stopping power on the high side (9-12 clicks). The middle is OK too.

The result?

I now have a parking brake! It's been YEARS. Not a chance in heck it will skid the tires, but it holds on a hill like this:

Just barely. You can bet I put it in granny before getting out to take the pic. But it did HOLD, a vast improvement.

I tried a 20mph to zero stopping power test. Drive 20mph (by GPS speedo). Watch foe a pothole or manhole cover. When front wheel thumps, pull the brake hard. I did it twice, both times it took 72 feet "emergency stop" from 20mph.

So there ya have it folks, UK method translated to 'merkin. Laughing Laughing

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup PROCEDURE" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Well done and excellent documentation.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup PROCEDURE" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Right on! Thank you for taking the time to question, experiment and document all your trials and tribulations. It's super cool to see the fruits of your labor pan out in the end.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Awesome job, obviously I've been following this. Man your perseverance is unmatched! I say "keep on, keeping on"!

Thanks for your contribution to the vanagon community. Applause
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Good. I expect three more threads on painting rusty calipers, replacing cracked pads and the metaphysics of parking on a slope

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

I'm glad you've finally gotten the brakes you were looking for. Now, will better cables help even more? I can't wait to see your video of handbrake turns! Very Happy
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Yaaay!

The performance of the parking brake is basically the same as mine. I got there by luck I guess. 2009 Small Car rear disc kit too. I can pull six or seven clicks max.

What percent slope are you able to hold on?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

So...something occurred to me last night: Do your brakes (or rather braking performance) feel any different now that you have gone through this adjustment procedure? The reason I ask this is because I'm having a hard time understanding how the parking brake performance can be so poor (previously of course) and and you could still have properly functioning rear brake calipers. In other words, if the piston that operates the parking brake is far enough out of adjustment that it is not allowing the parking brake to function properly, then it seems only logical that the main braking on the rear caliper(s) is not performing well either.

*EDIT*
I guess I should clarify that I am trying understand if it is possible to have the parking brake mechanism so far out of adjustment that it is not working properly and still have a perfectly operational brake caliper for the main braking system OR if the having the parking brake mechanism out of adjustment directly affects that calipers main braking performance.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup PROCEDURE" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I tried a 20mph to zero stopping power test. Drive 20mph (by GPS speedo). Watch for a pothole or manhole cover. When front wheel thumps, pull the brake hard. I did it twice, both times it took 72 feet "emergency stop" from 20mph.

Hold your horses fellas. I can "park" which is a big change. I can envision letting my wife drive the van now, since she won't mess around on (real) hills anyway. DaveOB I didn't measure the slope, I forgot. I would not trust it in neutral on a hill, what if moisture condensed on the disc?

72 feet (to stop) from 20mph suggests a very wishful "brake-turn". I'm still interested in a VAST improvement. Skidding on gravel is a dream that's far away. At least if I see you fellas out in the woods you don't have to get so nervous downhill of my van. Cool Cool

Christopher I still have NOT grokked how the e-brake wouldn't work. It has something to do with the auto-adjust, how the mechanism follows the piston inward as the pads wear down.

My only test for rear disc hydraulic performance has been "go in reverse and press the footbrake". And the van almost "wheelies over backwards". It stops super-hard, and always has, with the footbrake.

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:37 am; edited 2 times in total
cyrus #1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

I think the issue is the brake hydraulics are able to much more readily take up any "slack" in the system. The hydraulic piston has to be able to take up 1/4" to 1/2" for pad wear alone.

In comparison, sodo posted that full travel of the e-brake lever only advanced the mechanism .068". That isn't very much to compensate for wear or improper setup. If i remember correctly, i don't believe the system will self adjust unless it has resistance either.

If anything, i suspect the only side effect of the out of adjustment e-brake would be (very) slightly increased pedal travel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

cyrus #1 wrote:
I think the issue is the brake hydraulics are able to much more readily take up any "slack" in the system. The hydraulic piston has to be able to take up 1/4" to 1/2" for pad wear alone.

In comparison, sodo posted that full travel of the e-brake lever only advanced the mechanism .068". That isn't very much to compensate for wear or improper setup. If i remember correctly, i don't believe the system will self adjust unless it has resistance either.

If anything, i suspect the only side effect of the out of adjustment e-brake would be (very) slightly increased pedal travel.

Totally makes sense! I guess I am trying to wrap my head around what is inside the caliper that allows the piston to advance with system pressure and pad wear and at the same time allows the parking brake mechanism to continue to be able to advance the pad .068" consistently. I understand the theory and I understand that it does work when properly set up, but what I'm curious about is the actual mechanics that allow this. I'm sure it's pretty simple, but I have never had one of these caliper apart to examine the mechanics of it all. Just curious!

Last edited by Christopher Schimke on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

I'm curious too. I wish I had one of these still apart to study that. Here's a pic of the mechanism, sorry I don't have more details.

Error on image should read: "2) and 4) thrust springs"

That internal threaded post is dropped into the piston. The part has a seal at the bottom, that goes into a blind-hole bore at the bottom of the piston. Then the parts at left are dropped onto the post in the sequence numbered, and circlip engaged against spring-pressure. Callout 6) is just a "note" about the direction of the pressure-seal. The seal orientation energizes AGAINST footbrake hydr. pressure. It puzzles me what could be the function of that seal.

The friction of the spring-washers against that tiny 6-ball thrust bearing and the rubber seal, is all that prevents the threaded post from rotating. It turns easily with pliers but not fingers. I thought "too easily", but have nothing to compare to. Both left and right were "consistent" in their 'rotational friction'. Parts all appear to be 'in order' except perhaps the ball-brinelling. I was surprised that the little thrust bearing balls had brinnelled the surface. Note 'direction' of the brake hydraulic pressure seal below (into a bore on the piston). I'm trying to grok the function of that seal and its blind cavity below.

You may recall that I increased the lever arm +70% on my actuator (same as a 70% increased cable pull). A couple times yesterday I felt something like "slippage" which is either my cable housing (or plastic spacers) collapsing, cable itself stretching, or that center mechanism rotating (the screw backdriving it). Then I have to get under the van and twirl the little m6 center nut to return the clickety-click count to midrange again.

We're getting down 'tuit here. Pretty much need 10c or crazyvwvanman to get involved at this point. Or someone who understands how the proportioning valve works. Christopher you can prob figger this out.

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Here's something. Takes some arm-waving - I'll try to type armwaving.

The center jackscrew pushes against those screwthreads but doesn't "pull". The jackscrew does NOT turn, it pushes only 0.068" (1.5mm). The screwthreads are "steep" but with the center post jammed up against the backside of the piston head, nothing turns on the threads.

Upon releasing the parking brake,,,

The spring washers ensure that the jackscrew arrangement cannot prevent the piston from advancing to squeeze the (minute travel to the) pads. At first assembly, lets say you just pumped the piston outward with the footbrake hydraulics. This causes the center post to rotate (against springwasher friction) as it's driven along the non-rotating jackscrew to the end (pads tight). So it ends up PULLING against the springwashers. WRONG. You want it biased to the OTHER side, with springwashers shoving the post AGAINST the brake piston, to initiate the auto-adjust.

It seems unlikely that Smallcars instructions to 'pull the brake handle 20-30 times' could back-drive the center post onto the jackscrew. It seems like it could work on some calipers, and NOT work on others. Manually advancing the jackscrew thread with a water pump plier doesn't leave it to chance.

I don't yet understand if 'adjustment' (as the pads get thinner) occurs by hydraulic actuation, by parking brake actuation, or both.

As the piston advances forward into the thinning pads, it compresses the two spring discs (pulling on the jackscrew). Eventually "topping out" against the circlip. At this point it pulls the center post downward along the jackscrew. The center post unit must rotate to move down the jackscrew. Which it does. It arrives at it's new position, and due to the friction it remains there.

It seems like if you were to adjust the handbrake too tight (the low clicks custom) then the jackscrew will always be partially extended, and the slop this contraption needs to self-adjust (advance) may be impaired. It just can't pull as hard because the jackscrew is partially extended. Not sure about this....but it seems you want the jackscrew to retract fully always.

I'm not sure what the effect of wear on the interfaces that advance the jackcrew post. It could be a factor in why some brakes work better than others.

Here's more pics and info.

This parts diagram is page 2 of Lucas bulletin XZB137 I don't understand the relationship between the Lucas caliper and the Girling 4143.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

If we go on the assumption that the Girling and Lucas units operate in a similar manner and we use your photos and illustration along with this link as an additional guide, http://www.fordmanuals.org/page-1567.html, let's see if I have this sequence of events correct (or not).

#3 (handbrake lever) is pulled by the cable and rotates inside the caliper body.
#3 pushes on #13 (strut)
#13 pushes on #15 (pushrod)
#15 pushes up through #16 (key plate) against #18 (washer) which in turn pushes against #19 (spring)

*EDIT (thanks for the correction Sodo)- #16 does not move in/out. It has a round nub that mates to a divot in the caliper to prevent #15 from rotating. #15 is free to move in/out inside #16 since the flats on #15 are longer than the thickness of #16.

When #15 is moved in/out it pushes on #29 (adjuster nut). Since #29 is mechanically connected to #15 via male/female threads, those two parts will always move in/out together whenever the parking brake is actuated or the brake pedal is pressed.

So up to this point, things are very clear on how they operate. From here on out I'm not so clear, but I will try to talk out what I think is going on and hopefully come to a conclusion.

Some observations: Spring #19 and spring #27 are trying to push #15 and #29 in opposite directions. #19 is pushing #15 toward the caliper body and #27 is pushing #29 toward the piston #31. These opposing forces seem like they would tend to lock the male and female threads of #15 and #29 together.

In #29 adjuster nut there are fluid ports. There are multiple small ports around the flange area (three in the parts that can be seen in both the illustration and and the photos and six in the adjuster nut that I have in my hand). But there are also ports that can't be seen in the illustration or photo. These ports are in the section of the adjuster nut that gets inserted into the piston and are located in between the larger disk area and the seal. There are four of them on the nut I have in my hand and they are larger than the smaller ports in the flange. These large ports exit into the threaded area of the adjuster nut. #30 (seal) prevents the brake fluid from escaping into the backside of the piston and the tolerance between the flange and the bore of the piston is pretty close. When the brake pedal is pushed, through the path of least resistance, hydraulic pressure forces fluid through the flange, into the larger ports on the backside of the adjuster nut and into the threaded bore of the adjuster nut. (And just for reference, there is a relief hole in the bottom of the bore in #31 piston where #29 adjuster nut goes. This is to relieve pressure so that #29 adjuster nut can move in/out of #31 piston freely)

Why? I'm pretty sure that this is to relieve the pressure off of the male and female threads of #15 and #29 so that #15 can rotate freely inside #29 and to possibly even push the two apart. This would explain how #29 can easily travel up #15 to take up the wear of the pads and rotor. If I am right about this whole thing, it also means that the parking brake would have a hard time self adjusting unless the brake pedal is pressed followed by the parking brake being actuated. Without the hydraulic pressure pushing through #29 onto #15 the friction of the threads makes it harder for them to turn. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

#26 is not a spring washer. It's just a flat washer with cutouts around the outer edge to allow fluid to pass. The only spring in the #24 piston assembly is #27. #27 allows about 1.5mm worth of movement between #31 and #29. I think this right here is the area that makes or breaks how well the parking brake works. When the #24 piston assembly is not adjusted correctly, it can leave #27 in a state where is anywhere between fully compressed to fully released.

When #27 spring is fully extended, #29 adjuster nut is seated right up against the #31 piston. In this condition, when the parking brake is actuated, #15 pushrod and #24 piston assembly move together as one unit. However, if #27 is in any state other than fully extended, #29 adjuster nut is not fully seated up against #31 piston. In this condition #15 pushrod needs to take up any slack between #29 adjuster nut and #31 piston before there can be any pressure placed on the brake pads.

I'm really tired right now and kind of burned out from a long day, so I could have this wrong, but I think what is happening is that when you rely on just hydraulic pressure (pumping the pedal) to bring the piston/pads close to the rotor, it compresses #27 spring and forces #29 adjuster nut and #31 piston apart to their extremes. I'm guessing this puts a bind on the threads which causes them to be unable to self adjust via further adjuster actions as described above. At that point, when hydraulic pressure is applied, #15, #29 and #31 all move as one unit, sliding through #16 with zero self adjusting action happening at all.

By manually moving the #24 piston assembly out to the pads/rotor, you prevent #27 spring from compressing prematurely which allows the self adjuster mechanism to work. When hydraulic pressure is applied, fluid pushes #29 away from #31 while at the same time pushing #31 into the pads/rotor. This is when pressure on the threads at #15 and #29 is relieved and the self adjuster can operate as intended.

Okay, phew! I'm tired! That's it for now.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

I just can't help but think something was wrong with your calipers from the beginning. I've done hundreds of rear brakes on VW/Audi and NEVER had to advance the piston manually for the park brake to work.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
I just can't help but think something was wrong with your calipers from the beginning. I've done hundreds of rear brakes on VW/Audi and NEVER had to advance the piston manually for the park brake to work.

Thanks for the note! Hundreds of brakes is good data.

So theres:

1) Screwing it out manually (UK guys)
    2) Pumping the piston out with the footbrake
    3) Smallcar says to push it out by actuating the parking brake 20-30 times.

Which is your method to push the piston out initially?

hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

When I replace rear brake pads and rotors, I pump the brakes until firm and then give a few yanks on the hand brake to make sure it holds.

And to push them in, I use this tool https://www.amazon.com/Zdmak-Brake-T10165-Volkswagen-BONUS/dp/B00XKN6I46 (but it was a lot more expensive from the dealer!). If the caliper doesn't retract correctly, a new one gets sold and then it works just fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: