Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body lift engine tin issues
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Body lift engine tin issues Reply with quote

So, I bought a thing last week. It has a 3" body lift and as soon as I opened the engine lid, I thought to myself, that's gotta be fixed. Does anyone make an extension kit or have any ideas for me? Thanks!

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Body lift engine tin issues Reply with quote

I've never seen a commercial kit for this issue..
I have seen plenty of home fabricated ones though, where they close the gap with sheetmetal...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Body lift engine tin issues Reply with quote

JoelH

I have the exact setup. While not cosmetically pleasing to some, I have never added any sheetmetal "filler" between the tin and engine bay sheetmetal.

I have been running a 1776 for 6 years mainly weekend driver, shows etc. I have never had any cooling issues if that is a concern. I know I have seen debates. I thought about sealing off early on. Hit that point in having a running driving project and never thought about getting back around to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Body lift engine tin issues Reply with quote

One ideas (Under $10) that works to combat this issue was:
Completely clean the area and carefully craft a bridging seal using Wide black Gorilla tape. The clear has been used for many outer repairs, cars, boats, green house doors and more. It sometimes takes a few attempts to get it right. But the ideas is to make a two sided apron from Gorilla tape that is well adhered to the engine tin and is the right length to reach to the body apron area.. The adhesive is Urethane based so it requires curing to fully adhere... Hint: read instruction on roll before applying. ha..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Body lift engine tin issues Reply with quote

never had a heating issue. Although I run an external cooler and a fan always on I never seam to get above 180. On the hottest days down the freeway I get to maybe 210 but as soon as I come to an idle or slow down back to 180. BTW I have a 2L
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Body lift engine tin issues Reply with quote

63ziggy wrote:
JoelH

I have the exact setup. While not cosmetically pleasing to some, I have never added any sheetmetal "filler" between the tin and engine bay sheetmetal.

I have been running a 1776 for 6 years mainly weekend driver, shows etc. I have never had any cooling issues if that is a concern. I know I have seen debates. I thought about sealing off early on. Hit that point in having a running driving project and never thought about getting back around to it.

I assume you don't have sealing at all between engine sheetmetal and the car body. I have never quite understood why all that sealing is needed anyway. Looks to me like all the hot air from the engine blown down under there would be outrun before it could be sucked up by the fan. All the replicas I have saw don't have it all sealed off and no heating problems there. Is that engine sealing really needed???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Body lift engine tin issues Reply with quote

I too have this issue. Some tin ls actually missing. But as paranoid as I am about cooling, the engine seems to run fine all the time even in the Georgia Summer oven temps.
I used Gorilla tape to attach the rubber surround gasket, and then added a tennis ball to the hood latch, and the Save My Bug stick to the oil.
So far no light comes on, ever...
I do have an external oil cooler also
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: