Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This day in history
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

On a happier note today marks 50 years ago the concept for the internet was developed at UCLA.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

A coworker was a grad student at UCLA at the time and worked with/on ARPANET, which was the precursor to what we now call the Internet. It was really crude... no browsers, just crude text-only email and FTP sites.

From little acorns...
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Income tax in 1903

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

NPR's Morning Edition debuted on this day in 1979.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/05/774161062/morning-edition-the-radio-news-show-that-almost-wasn-t
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

On this day in history (November 5, 1605), Guy Fawkes was caught attempting to set off 36 barrels of gunpowder underneath the House of Lords in an attempt to assassinate the Protestant King James.

He was tortured and forced to sign a confession, and was later hanged. drawn and quartered.

Tonight Britain and former British colonies will be celebrating bonfire night.

The Fifth of November

Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the King and Parliament
All up alive.
Threescore barrels, laid below,
To prove old England's overthrow.
But, by God's providence, him they catch,
With a dark lantern, lighting a match!
A stick and a stake
For King James's sake!
If you won't give me one,
I'll take two,
The better for me,
And the worse for you.
A rope, a rope, to hang the Pope,
A penn'orth of cheese to choke him,
A pint of beer to wash it down,
And a jolly good fire to burn him.
Holloa, boys! holloa, boys! make the bells ring!
Holloa, boys! holloa boys! God save the King!
Hip, hip, hooor-r-r-ray!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

On this day 47 years ago the Grateful Dead released Europe '72.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
On this day 47 years ago the Grateful Dead released Europe '72.

And what a long, strange trip it's been.

I've always wondered why that album's mix and vocals are so clear. Was there any "magic" like overdubbing vocals on that LP? It seems so much better than those live albums before and since. They were sure some fine analog recordings... hearing the fingers sliding on the strings in the intro to "Sugar Magnolia' still gives me chills. I saw them in '73 at the Hollywood Bowl with their "wall of sound" stage setup and it was unbelievable!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

I'm sure there was some mixing there and not all from the same show.

I envy you. That is an amazing thing you got to see.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Despite appearance, it was not loud. It was crystal clear! The best quality sound I have ever heard at any venue, indoors or outside. Perfect equalization, no overdriving, great separation of vocals and instruments. And as usual, they played for hours! I have a bootleg vinyl or two which was rare back then, but these days, you can get it all online through the official website!
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

1971, Dan Cooper (DB Cooper) jumped into history.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

1963, Ruby shot Oswald on live TV coverage.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Freddie Mercury Dies 28 years ago today.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:

Dan or whatever his name was had to know something about the airplane. Like this door. To open in flight you’d have to depressurize the cabin otherwise door would never open. Its impossible to open a plug door on Boeing products when pressurized. Then you’d have to slow down to stall speed and crawl down the stairs. Pretty ballsy then jump into a wooded area.
Here’s a pic of vault door and air stairs most people never see. This is DC 9 but 727 he jumped out of looks same.

Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Long-roofs wrote:

Dan or whatever his name was had to know something about the airplane. Like this door. To open in flight you’d have to depressurize the cabin otherwise door would never open. Its impossible to open a plug door on Boeing products when pressurized. Then you’d have to slow down to stall speed and crawl down the stairs. Pretty ballsy then jump into a wooded area.
Here’s a pic of vault door and air stairs most people never see. This is DC 9 but 727 he jumped out of looks same.

If I remember, Cooper had them fly at 10k feet, not pressurized, and close to stall speed.

Funny thing, money has never been spent they say, only hijacking in the U.S. never solved.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

He jumped on the eve of hunting season so the forest was full of hunters. Some 20-30 years later kids found some of the money was recovered in a river in the area were he jumped.

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Dec. 6 1941. 90% of Americans want to stay out of the World War

Dec. 7 1941. Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor

Dec. 8 1941. 90% of Americans want to get into the World War, and FDR declares war on Japan

Dec. 11 1941. Adolf declares war on USA against the advice of most of his generals
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

On this date in 1935 Elvis Presley was born in Tupelo, Mississippi. Also on this date 1964 Otis Redding’s “Sittin on the dock of the Bay” is released almost a month after his death. 1973 talks between United States and viet nam resume.
1987 Dow Jones closes above 2000.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

On this day January 9, 1944, Jimmy Page was born. The rest is history. (or is it 'are'?) Wink

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

100 years ago today the prohibition was made law of the land. History has shown the law created more problems than any good benefit. Common sense also dictates you cannot legislate human behavior. It’s safe to say prohibition didn’t work then and doesn’t work now. Don’t believe me read your history.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

14 years ago today, Ben Roethlisberger of the Steelers, the unlikeliest of heroes, made what would become known as "The Tackle." Roethlisberger got Harper of the Colts with the shoestring tackle at the Colts 42-yard line. It is the only tackle Roethlisberger has made in his career, and a week later Pittsburgh defeated Denver on their way to another Super Bowl Championship.

https://www.steelers.com/video/otd-ben-makes-the-saving-tackle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 41

Jump to: