Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When to sleeve lifter bores.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

I have been running an eagle cam since 1981.
2110 (82 x 90.5) and 44's

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The engine finally got tired and got a major rebuild.
Now a 2387 (86 x 94)
So it got a touch more cam.

Now here is the question.
It has run since the early 80,s with a 260 at .050 cam and no measurable lifter bore wear.
Does it need the be sleeved for the 270 at .050?

It is a cb magnesium super case from the same early 80's.
I am ready to go back together with it and before I close it up I want some opion about sleeve or not. No vw specific machine shop for many many miles. So it is ship it out or buy the tooling and do it myself. I was trying to avoid that and was one consideration for getting a cam that was advertised as 266 at .050. Cam came in bigger than expected.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

I've been running a magnesium case for over 10 years with several camshafts: Engle W-120 & FK8, Web 86C, 226 & 251 and now Raptor 6908. No issues with the lifter bores yet. IIRC, at some point the mag cases received thicker lifter bores...not sure which year that change was made. Do you have pictures?

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

The most direct on pic I have of the lifter bores.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

If its in spec leave it. My brother is running that cam with some heads Jeff Denham reworked, lots of power.
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

i agree those bores look good. one thing to also look at is depending on what lifters you run some are different thickness and can fine tune the lifter to wall gap. are you also planning on giving the lifters the hoover?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

be skeerful drilling that it needs to be done at an angle from the bearing side then a short connector from the lifter side. I dont think you need to sleeve them for that cam .I wood however make sure there are no burrs on the lifters any where and deburr the cam lobes good on the edges. Ive seen w100 kill lifter bores so...it's always a crap shoot it seems.( allthough that guy likes tooling around in 4th at 18-20 mph)with a fleawayfrier trani. you might also go with some 1.34 ratio rockers too.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

Yes Mark. That is an old pic, the oil holes are all drilled and yes the one from cam bearing saddle to deep drilling had the be angled.

Cam is deburred, i will give the lifters an extra check.
I have the engle cam kit. The lifters are a bit on the heavy side but look real nice and slick.

It is full hoover and external regulator too. Full flow with no thermostat.

Have a 30mm pump set tight with steel cover.
Hope to run a lot of flow with thin synthetic oil, something like 5w30 or so. I do tend to putt around lugging it. 850lb vehicle with 3.44 ring and pinion.
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

when is the determination for a bronze sleeve versus a aluminum sleeve needed.In what applications are the aluminum sleeve used versus bronze sleeve.All I heard of is to bronze sleeve but i seen in some that aluminum sleeve is used like rimco
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

rimco uses whatever is cheep. I would stay away from rimco, far far away. Ive seen steel sleeves that liked like holy shit on a squashed banana peal raper round with chromed dog poop for a topping.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

Well....
Prepping it up, going together not sleeved.

You know Mark.... you may be right about checking lifters.
I bought a set one time and when I got them and looked, the surface finish was way to rough for my liking. I just did not use them. Got a set that had a nice slick ground finish. Makes you wonder if.....
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

the duration isn't necessarily hard on the bores, it is the ramp of the cam, CB cams tend to have mild ramps compared to engle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

Having too much valve spring pressure is what tears up lifter bores, not the cam. The push rods are at a slight angle and the valve springs puts excessive side loads on the lifters causing the wear.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Having too much valve spring pressure is what tears up lifter bores, not the cam. The push rods are at a slight angle and the valve springs puts excessive side loads on the lifters causing the wear.

Some would argue that not having ENOUGH spring pressure has caused more valve train failures than having too much. Personally I'd rather err on the "too much" side than not enough.

Going from the Eagle cam you had been running to the FK-10 should be a nice bump in performance. Provided you have the heads, exhaust, induction to do it justice, it should kick a--; FK-10 is a great street cam.

On the subject of lifter bore sleeving... It is a fairly new thing to do, like in the last 5-7 years or so, has it become "popular". I think it's usually not needed. I did it to my "new" case just because I could.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

I dont know what I did with those that had flat spots from the centerless grinder and the lifter not spining all the time.. they were a real mess...gess where they came from???CIP1!!! I always inspect then polish around the head in my lathe to remove any roughness(and sometimes exsessive useless material) and then polish the body good. and always check the face for nicks&burrs too. it isant toe spring pressure that does it. although coil bind can&will do it as can rocker cup to pushrod interfearance and or push&tube interfearance. as well as a moron assembling it.
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but... I've noticed that around the oil holes in the lifter sleeves I had installed are some burrs that should be knocked down. However, getting in the lifter bore to de-burr it without nicking any other part of the bore could be problematic. Suggestions?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: When to sleeve lifter bores. Reply with quote

pencil die grinder with carbide ball end. and dont wory about a knick or 2. I would also add some grooves if needed for full time top end oiling.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: