Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9L Oil Preasure Warning Light
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: 1.9L Oil Preasure Warning Light Reply with quote

Its a 1.9L with the single oil pressure warning sensor. The light started flickering about 240 miles into a 300 mile drive. The flickering is not correlated with engine RPM. It will flicker at idle and flicker at 3000 RPM. Did an emergency oil change with 20W 50. Did not change the Mann filter, as I didn't want to use a cheap one from Auto Zone. If I understand it correctly the 1.9L switch should only indicate a true oil pressure problem below 2000 RPM?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9L Oil Preasure Warning Light Reply with quote

...unless the wiring has gone wonky or the engine bay connector is melted from proximity to the exhaust... Rolling Eyes

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9L Oil Preasure Warning Light Reply with quote

The single switch on 1.9 works at all rpms. For example if the oil filter seal blows out at highway speeds the light will come on.

Most likely your problem is the wire to the oil switch has rubbed against metal somewhere and now the insulation has worn through enough to short out and make the light come on. Look all along the switch wire, most likely it is touching an exhaust pipe but any metal could wear through it.

Mark
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9L Oil Preasure Warning Light Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
...unless the wiring has gone wonky or the engine bay connector is melted from proximity to the exhaust... Rolling Eyes

Right, in which case it would moat likely be a false alarm if the light is flickering above 2000 RPM?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9L Oil Preasure Warning Light Reply with quote

or you could have a real oil, pressure problem. get it checked out asap.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9L Oil Preasure Warning Light Reply with quote

Wire looks pretty well burned right at the junction point. I am hoping that is the problem. It runs fine, has a fresh oil change and shows no other signs of malfunction.
Thebeas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9L Oil Preasure Warning Light Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem with my 1.9. New switch solved the problem.

My old switch had a little bit of that teflon tape that was probably the reason for the flicker.

At $5 for the new switch I didn't care to go back to the old one.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_356
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: