Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dropping the tire pressure to handle rough roads.
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Dropping the tire pressure to handle rough roads. Reply with quote

I was not expecting the 4 lane 65 mph hour roads to need this treatment.

I took the 73 standard on a 1200 mile round trip from Louisville to Des Moines. My route is 64 to St Louis, turn right and there is a 4 lane 65 mph road, bypassing all but 1 town, connecting St Louis to Des Moines. The roads are not crowded and go through the more scenic parts of each state. Things went smooth until Iowa, where any semblance to smoothness abruptly stopped. Iowa's roads are concrete with an expansion joint every 15 feet. The bug suspension is not renowned for being supple. Those joints would set up a pretty severe oscillation. I am 5'10'' 185 pounds with only 1 chin. The bouncing was so bad I could feel the flab under my chin bouncing. I made it to Des Moines, my internal organs had not fully recovered, I was not looking forward to the first couple hundred miles heading back. I figured it out. The off road folks air down their tires when the going gets rough. I aired down to 15 pounds in the front and 25 pounds in the rear. With that setting, while it would not be classified as smooth, at least my fillings all stayed in place. I aired back up on the Missouri border and made it back, no issues.
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropping the tire pressure to handle rough roads. Reply with quote

We, buggy guys have to do this permanently. What with our cars being much lighter and all, we have to let some air out of the tires to re-gain a bit of smoothness. Be thankful you only had one chin Wink at least, you know your car can help you keep an eye on your overall flabbyness and it's a great motivation to stay healthy and svelte.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: