Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Denver, Boulder, etc.: Anyone have a rear axle nut I can buy?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Denver, Boulder, etc.: Anyone have a rear axle nut I can buy? Reply with quote

I managed to lose one of my rear axle nuts. I need one like yesterday. Anyone have one? I'll meet you wherever but really need it today.

edit, found the items I needed thanks.

Btw there are 2 vanagons in Littleton U pull that have pop tops if anyone is looking for a donor.. (I cant get the nut off either van, have no way to secure the rear wheels)

Last edited by DAV!D on Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver, Boulder, etc.: Anyone have a rear axle nut I can buy? Reply with quote

a short length of chain bolted to a lug nut or caught in the slots onthe rim should be sufficient to undo the axle nut.
goto hardware store buy ~3ft of chain 1 chain hook and 2 bolts (grade Cool that pass thru the chain. wrap the chain around the insest of the rear trailing arm between the 2 bushings.. and secure the wheel

does the u-pull yard have a yard truck with a torch? will significantly ease removal of the large axle nut.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver, Boulder, etc.: Anyone have a rear axle nut I can buy? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
a short length of chain bolted to a lug nut or caught in the slots onthe rim should be sufficient to undo the axle nut.
goto hardware store buy ~3ft of chain 1 chain hook and 2 bolts (grade Cool that pass thru the chain. wrap the chain around the insest of the rear trailing arm between the 2 bushings.. and secure the wheel

does the u-pull yard have a yard truck with a torch? will significantly ease removal of the large axle nut.

I couldn't get the wheels on the ground, they have the vans up on old rims and my vw jack wouldn't lift high enough to get either of the vans off their junkyard jack stands.

I did manage to wedge a metal bar between 2 lugs and let it dig into the ground but ended up breaking my "breaker bar" trying to get the nut off.... (guess I should of bought one of those specialty rear nut tools that you hit with a hammer ).

Anyway, I believe I found a samba member with a nut and a few other parts I damaged..

Tip for today, don't hit cement blocks that happen to be in the middle of the road for no apparent reason...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: