Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Long have you used Subaru Cooling System Conditioner?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Long have you used Subaru Cooling System Conditioner without problems?
2 Years
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2+ to 5 Years
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
> 5 years
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: How Long have you used Subaru Cooling System Conditioner? Reply with quote

How long have you used it without any problems?

(if less than 2 years don't answer, just wait...)
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long have you used Subaru Cooling System Conditioner? Reply with quote

What are you fishing for with this survey? It reminds me of a political poll to obtain the answer you want. What about those that have used the conditioner and developed a sieve prior to two years? How about the control group that never used miracle in a bottle? Not to be difficult as I recommended some of this yesterday to a guy with a wbx that is leaking due to what I have read on the samba. No personal experience with it. I know that brake fluid will swell seals, anybody put some in their waterboxer instead of the liquid plumber?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long have you used Subaru Cooling System Conditioner? Reply with quote

Most users don't even give this a thought until they have a leak.

Are you asking hiw long some have run it after the leak stopped (assuming it did)?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long have you used Subaru Cooling System Conditioner? Reply with quote

some use it prophylactically - e.g. to extend coolant change intervals

I'm interested in finding out if you can use it for many years without gumming up anything (like the radiator)
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long have you used Subaru Cooling System Conditioner? Reply with quote

A Subaru forum probably already has these answers.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long have you used Subaru Cooling System Conditioner? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
some use it prophylactically - e.g. to extend coolant change intervals
I'm interested in finding out if you can use it for many years without gumming up anything (like the radiator)

I think that's a different coolant conditioner (NAPA brand) with anti corrosives to extend coolant change intervals.
I've used the Subaru conditioner,which is actually a stop leak product since I did my 02 Subaru conversion in 2003,but only 1 bottle per coolant change.No gumming up. It's prophylactic for external headgasket leaks.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long have you used Subaru Cooling System Conditioner? Reply with quote

FWIW (Jan 6, 2010):
tencentlife wrote:
The Suby stuff is relabelled Holt's Radweld (a Honeywell product):

http://www.holtsauto.com/products/group/repair-and-maintenance/cooling-repair-systems

I think the controversy over its use, and use of some of these products, is based on some outdated thinking and, more than anything, what amounts to superstition. This isn't the pasty metallic glop that constituted some old-school cooling system patchup products; some of those are still sold and I would definitely avoid their use: there is sufficient evidence that they can and do cause restrictions in small radiator and heater core passages along with other unintended effects. But people lump this class of products in with that class, when they are very different in the way they act.

I used two bottles of the Holt's/Suby product in a wbx cooling system, not for leak stoppage but because I was told it had conditioning, surfactant and anticorrosive properties as well. I never saw the "official" explanation until just now when I went looking for the Holts website, that it does also have those properties, but I had been told so and believed it. Anyway after a year of use I removed and opened up the top end on that engine and I saw no effects of the product that would lead me to think it could have any adverse effects on the parts of the cooling system people typically worry about, the inner cores of radiator and heat exchangers. I saw some granular goo collected in stagnating areas that I concluded were old silicates that the Dexcool I use had stripped out of the cooling system. This had, as far as I can surmise, nothing to do with the Radweld being in the mix, unless it also bolstered silicates and the Dexcool prevented their adhesion, another possibility. Dexcool is nown to strip old silicate from surfaces , though, so I'm pretty sure that accounted for the goo. At any rate there has been no harm to the overall cooling system, it has gone on functioning normally for two more years of hard use since then in an '87 daily driver, with the original radiator and front heater cores.

There are plenty of other anecdotal accounts of people using the same product to remedy weeping water jacket seals with success, and no reported adverse effects that I have ever read.

Based on that I would not hesitate to recommend use of this product to seal weeps or small leaks at wbx water jacket seals, or even leaky heat exchangers. In the absence of solid evidence to the contrary I will continue to believe so, as there is to me a substantial body of evidence that it helps to seal minor leaks without negative consequences.

Tencent is a real guru & this was good enough recommendation for me...I've been running it for over 6 years. Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long have you used Subaru Cooling System Conditioner? Reply with quote

I run it in my EJ22 Syncro. My son had a water jacket leak during the winter months when the engine cooled overnight. We added a bottle to his wasserboxer 2.1 two years ago and the leak has never returned.

Neither vehicle has had any issues. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: