Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
bigblue72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So I have a 1980 Vanagon that's stuck in Mexico due to an electrical problem. I've changed and fixed some of the potential issues in the wiring but it's still giving me the same problem. At this point I'm simply going to check every single connection and wire in my vanagon.

I am not the most experienced in the electrical wold but I do have a good friend that says he can pretty much rewire the vanagon ( he is an electrical engineer and has worked on cars before)

SOOOO, my question is. Do you guys think that someone with that knowledge could essentially help me rewire my vanagon? I ask because I know these vans are tricky.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

A good mechanic with a volt ohm meter, the ability to read a wiring diagram, and some troubleshooting skills would be better than an electrical engineer.

Why not just tow it home?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

If you would tell us what is wrong, you'd get many guesses and probably a correct answer as well.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

Are you talking rewiring to fix the problem or completely replacing the wire harness?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
bigblue72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

Can't tow it because it would cost me wayyy to much. It's in southern Mexico.

I've already asked all kinds of questions in the past, here and on other forums, spoken to quite a few very knowledgeable vanagon mechanics and have come to the conclusion that, I don't really need to rewire the whole thing, but I need to check all my wires.

Thanks for the replies. =D
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

bigblue72 wrote:
Can't tow it because it would cost me wayyy to much. It's in southern Mexico.

I've already asked all kinds of questions in the past, here and on other forums, spoken to quite a few very knowledgeable vanagon mechanics and have come to the conclusion that, I don't really need to rewire the whole thing, but I need to check all my wires.

Thanks for the replies. =D

You have 15 post here, mostly about fuel filter issue..... Running.

Thought you fixed it?

What's not working?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
bigblue72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

You have 15 post here, mostly about fuel filter issue..... Running.

Thought you fixed it?

What's not working?

Dave

Yea we fixed, and/or cleaned, every part of the fuel injection system. After 3 weeks of work we started on tuning the motor, we found a couple of brothers in Mexico City that love Vanagons and have a few of their own so they helped us with that and started checking the electrical system after. In the process we noticed some nasty electrical work. Did what we could without taking apart the entire dash and still had problems. Right before taking apart the entire dash we read somewhere it might be the starter switch, so we changed that and it worked!!!

3 weeks of PERFECT driving after that we ran into the same exact problem....

I'd like to add also that both times the problem started after the van was sitting for about 3-4 weeks without driving. (i did turn it on every few days to run the engine for a bit)
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

if you changed the starter switch and it worked, i'd look to something frying your starter switch. Try replacing your starter switch again. Don't assume that just because you changed it that it's still good.
bigblue72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

weswsimpson wrote:
if you changed the starter switch and it worked, i'd look to something frying your starter switch. Try replacing your starter switch again. Don't assume that just because you changed it that it's still good.

Yea when we go back to Mexico that was my first plan. But after seeing what was under the part of the dash we took off, it's safe to assume we will find more kinds of poor wiring. So I figure we might as well at least see whats lies beneath =D.
bigblue72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

What else would I need besides an Ohm meter and diagrams? Like what kind of wire? Or spark plugs? etc..
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

fyi, the Bentley manual does not have the correct wiring diagram for the non-california '80, most is correct, but from memory, the stuff relating to the engine is of the cali version. (not sure what you have.)
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

I'm going to be re-doing my '80 using a Painless circuit fuse block, as there's a lot on the vanagon that isn't fuse protected. But I don't think this project is for the faint of heart... or if you need to get out of Mexico quick. In the short term you may create more problems than you solve if you're not familiar with auto wiring.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/30001

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

You're going to need connectors and ends, these "sealed solder connectors" are AWESOME, easy to use and gives a great connection--especially for the novice. Yes, they are pricey, but a bad connection is likely causing some of the problems you're trying to solve...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d83XuNDnHLI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-Waterproof-Solder-Se...SwbYZXcmeH

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

so the switch you replaced, the key switch, what was the problem, would it fail to crank the starter, or fail to run the motor after starter cranks?

any of these problems with the key switch could temporarly be fixed with proper jumper wires over the key switch to get you home.

please give some more details on what the problem is.

good luck, enjoy the tacos!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

I've had a starter button in may van for several years now.
The key switch on mine is messed up, where you put the key in, not the cheap plastic switch that's below it.
I jumped the wires at the connection, no cutting or splicing.
beats trying to get matching keys and everything for now.
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

I know for sure that you saw something scary in the dash--you can pull apart each connection, one at a time and grease them. you can toothpick the grease on sparingly, or anti-sieze compound to establish good continuity--but before you panic--clean all the grounds you can find--90% of all electrical malfunctions are simply bad grounds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: