Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stiff Front Suspension
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Stiff Front Suspension Reply with quote

Assembled the front end on my 59 euro and when I finished with it I stood on the front of the car and tried to "bounce" the suspension. What I found was a very stiff suspension. It would only move a half an inch or so. I would have thought that my 170 lbs would have move it further. When the body was on the car the nose seems to sit vey high. I decided to disassemble the front suspension to see if I could find anything binding, what I found was the upper trailing arm had quite a bit of "preload" and that is what is giving it the stiff feel. Is this normal, if not what would be the fix?
Thanks
Bruce
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stiff Fromt Suspension Reply with quote

Hard to say, but adding the body, interior and yourself adds up to quite a bit of weight. Then try bouncing on the front pumper to check when it is all together.

As for the front being higher than the front that was often the stock stance, and adding two folks in the front seats should get rid of most of that , or your rear torsion bars may have sagged over the years.

You need to assemble all, roll the VW back and forth, then measure height, and make adjustments if need be.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Stiff Front Suspension Reply with quote

That looks normal to me. The torsion bars are clocked slightly differently in each tube. The stock suspension fully tops out on the bump stop on on a bare chassis, or even a light fiberglass beach buggy.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Stiff Front Suspension Reply with quote

I am sure you guys are correct, I usually over think things. I will re-assemble the front suspension and wait until the car is fully assembled to make any judgement calls on how stiff (or not) it ends up being.
Thanks for the input, now to move on to the engine!
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: