Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cooling system flow direction
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: cooling system flow direction Reply with quote

Does anyone have a diagram that shows the direction of flow of the coolant for an '86 & up 2.1 w/MT?.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system flow direction Reply with quote

http://www.benplace.com/cooling_system_flow.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system flow direction Reply with quote

So looking at that illustration, if the thermostat is closed, it wont allow flow from the coolant distributor by means of a liquid lock?

What part of the cooling system activates the thermostat? Does the purple bypass line that control the thermostat?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system flow direction Reply with quote

When the thermostat is closed there is a circulation loop,
Left bypass pipe draws water from the lower part of the thermostat housing to feed the wster pump.
The water pump is pushing water into the left heat directly and via the metal pipe that passes behind the crank pulley to the right head.

The water passes through the left heat to the lower thermostat.
The Water passes through the right head into the Coolant Distributor.
The water from the coolant distributor is forced to go to the heater cores and to the lower thermostat housing.

The pump again sucks water from the lower thermostat housing which gets it cold feed from both heads and the heater cores.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: cooling system flow direction Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I have one more question:

If you were to add an additional / auxiliary radiator, what would be the best locations in the circuit to tap into?
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: cooling system flow direction Reply with quote

an aux radiator to cool the van or to heat you?

to heat you, then the heater hose circuit. but you already have two heaters, so that probably isn't it.

if it is to cool the van, then you may want to buy a serious oil cooler (from vanistan.com or roll your own). i'd suggest getting a cooler with a fan, because the real heat comes when the van is crawling up a hill.

fwiw, the stock radiator is already about 4 times larger than it needed to be. if you have cooling problems, check for pinched hoses (above the spare tire), and the correct type and operation of the thermostat.
the craigness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: cooling system flow direction Reply with quote

I'm also chasing down a cooling problem.

I have another thread here with my issued but I transplanted a2.1 including the cooling system into my 84 Westy. Since then I'm running very hot. It never overheated spend it's always up to about 4/5 of the way. The plumbing appears to be done correctly and there is no air in the system. I change the thermostat several times to no avail. I have heat for days.. The donor engine ran perfectly normal in the donor van and the old 1.9 ran cool in this van it just have no compression left. The radiator is a year and a half old. I don't know where to begin I have exhausted everything .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system flow direction Reply with quote

Did you install the entire 2.1 system or just bits of it?

For instance, the coolant loop around the engine cover was installed?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system flow direction Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Did you install the entire 2.1 system or just bits of it?

For instance, the coolant loop around the engine cover was installed?

Dave

how hot is 4/5
Are you using the same sender?

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: