Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery pad?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Battery pad? Reply with quote

I had pans redone last year. Do you folks have your battery on one of those pads in between the pan and battery? Do you use anything in case of leakage?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

Also, should there be a retainer for the battery?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

There are plastic "bins" for that purpose... Not just a VW thing.
There was a clamp from the factory.... But after my floor pan change I just never got around to installing it.

5 years later I have no issues... Batter fits nice and snug in the area, where is it going to go right? You would probably be ok without the clamp...unless you're a duke boy jumping levees and the like in your bug.... I drive mine every day with no clamp and after 5 years I don't have a problem for what it's worth.

-Frank
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

Is there a source for one of thosnplastic bins?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

battery pad is a no no. just go and buy a plastic container the size of your battery or cut down a plastic jug that fits.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:

Yes. In an accident you do not want the battery to become a projectile.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

Battery clamp looks like this. This example is from a bus, but the principle is the same. The difference is that on a beetle the stud that the clamp goes on is welded to the pan and you just have to use a nut and washer to secure it in place.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:

Yes, your battery will also last tons longer if it doesn't get jostled about.

If you're missing the stud on your VW beetle for that clamp, you can drill a hole and insert a bolt from the bottom and secure that with a nut on the topside before you slide the bracket over it to secure with a nut. VW used a large sized nut for this so the supplied tools could be used, but you could use a socket and extension; heck, you could even use SAE instead of metric !!!

Just don't forget underneath the Vise-Grip you used to hold the bolt from turning while you fasten the first nut; don't ask me how I know this, but I did retrieve the Vise-Grip a few months later !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

In 1967, just east of Gallup, New Mexico, the dink who was driving his bug, fell asleep at the wheel. I was also asleep, but I wasn't driving. The car went into the median and flew high into the air. When it came down, the loose battery ejected and sprayed its contents throughout the cabin. Fortunately, the back seat was filled up with all kinds of stuff to absorb most of the acid. But not all.

I still have a belt that I was wearing during this single-car accident. It has a solid brass Triumph motorcycle buckle--and a battery-acid scar on the back of the leather ... to match the battery-acid scar on my back.

The car was totaled, I only got a broken collar bone and a week in the hospital, due to surgery to fix the break. So, lesson learned about wearing a seat belt.

But that scar on my back could have been avoidable. A cheap battery hold-down clamp was all that was necessary to prevent it.

Why take chances? You never know when the shit might hit the fan ... or something else that doesn't wash off as easily.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

I know some are saying to cut a box out. What are most of you doing? Any alternatives? I just have shiny new pans and want to keep them that way. Tell me what you're doing to prevent corrosion to the pan under the battery. Is cutting a bucket the only option? Is there anywhere to buy a bucket that fits perfectly in the area if thisns in fact the only option.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

I don't know what you mean by "bucket". But you can try a marine supply store and see if they have a battery box/tray that might suit your needs.
Good Luck.
EDIT: You can look at some place like camping world as well for battery box ideas.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

What do you use?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

This was the battery box I bought and cut down for use in the car. Problem is pretty much any battery box you buy is going to be too big and end up rubbing against the insulation surrounding the heater y-pipe, mine got worn down so badly I had to buy new insulation, so I ended up removing the box and am running without it now. I don't see why that's any big deal, though I have considered one of those battery pads--I'd like to hear why it's a no-no.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
What do you use?

A replacement battery tray and a welder. In other words I just run the battery in the stock location and no protection other than the clamp.
Good Luck.

Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

I think the pads are OK if you check frequently. If it fills with acid it just becomes like a sponge I guess. A better question is has anyone had leakage of a battery in the last 10 years? Is it as common now as it was on older batteries 40-50 years ago.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

I just replaced a 3.5 year old battery that must've been leaking because there was a pile of battery acid dust at the base by the positive terminal. Had to clean all that up of course. So yes they can leak.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

And it got all over the pan?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/blkfloatbtm.php?clickkey=36572

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

A layer of Arm & Hammer baking soda won't hurt, either.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery pad? Reply with quote

Right onto the floor?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: