Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine tin to body seal really necessary?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

I read over on thing forum that 2 folks don't have that seal and no heating problems. I have had 1 replica that didn't have that area sealed off and no heating problem. I have saw other replica cars on vw pan and dune buggies and trikes with no seal and again no heating problems. When the fan blows the hot air over the cylinders and under the car, wouldn't you outrun that air and not be pulling the hot air back up to the fan? I just don't understand why so many cars are running with no separation between fan intake and and under the car with no overheating problems but a bug gets hot without that separation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

If you're talking a non-stock set up, then each situation has to be evaluated on its own merits. But a stock set up benefits from the seal for two reasons that I can think of: first, because the engine compartment stays clean and free of dust and dirt from under the car; second, because you are not always going fast enough to "outrun" the hot air from under the car (such as when you are in slow traffic, for instance), and so in those situations you will want to suck in cooler air from the slots below the rear window or on the engine hood.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

Also, warm air is not only bad for the fan intake cooling the engine, warm air being sucked into the carb/intake raises engine temps too. This is why modern cars/trucks run air scoops from the air cleaner to the engine grill area so the engine doesn't intake warm air.
Interestingly, the heat riser hoses on the stock air cleaner takes advantage of this hot air coming off the engine to quickly heat up the engine. If it didn't work to quickly heat up the engine it wouldn't have been added as an engine warm up function.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

Some of it also has to do with the slip-stream effect of air passing over the car and carrying the tailpipe emissions away. Without the seal, designed airflow is interrupted and CO can make it into the heater system. ANY microscopic exhaust leak would also poison the occupants without the seal. This got so bad that car reviewers noticed it in the seventies, and VW went with a dense foam seal on the later buses around their engines. Of course the bug has the aerodynamic advantage of getting rid of gases because it's not a rectangle..

There aren't any cases where someone on the Internet can say "you will overheat if."

Most of the smart ones on here safely assume that you'll want to drive your car on the freeway in mild weather. That is not too much to ask of a car at all, but the seals and tin all contribute here. If you drive your car two miles a week to the ice cream shop and back, you might not even need any tin at all. I drove a VW around a farm last month without a fan.

Point is, over time you'll gain a situational awareness of what your car needs and wants. And the people who say "you need it!" drive their cars like cars. The people who say "you don't!" probably go to a lot of car shows, and then tell me all about their VW while they're filling up a Prius at the gas station.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

Yes you need it. It is there for a reason. I replaced mine, and yes it was a bitch, but it dropped my engine bay temps at least 50 degrees. I am not a vw purist, but like I said, it is there for a reason. I drive my bug daily, weather be damned, about 20 miles each way to get to work. I wouldn't have wanted to take it on a road trip then, but I would chance it now. That slight amount of gap that I filled with the rubber let in enough hot exhaust air to overheat the car in about 50 miles.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

Unfortunately with no coolant to boil it takes them blowing up or bursting into flames before many owner realise they were actually hot.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
I have saw other replica cars on vw pan and dune buggies and trikes with no seal and again no heating problems. When the fan blows the hot air over the cylinders and under the car, wouldn't you outrun that air and not be pulling the hot air back up to the fan?

Don't forget that on a VW with the stock heater boxes, when the heat is turned off you are dumping hot air underneath the car right in front of the engine. Without the seal that could easily get sucked right back into the fan.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

I learned a long time ago to give the Germans the benefit of the doubt. They wouldn't have put it on there if it didn't need it. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
I read over on thing forum that 2 folks don't have that seal and no heating problems. I have had 1 replica that didn't have that area sealed off and no heating problem. I have saw other replica cars on vw pan and dune buggies and trikes with no seal and again no heating problems. When the fan blows the hot air over the cylinders and under the car, wouldn't you outrun that air and not be pulling the hot air back up to the fan? I just don't understand why so many cars are running with no separation between fan intake and and under the car with no overheating problems but a bug gets hot without that separation.

Because a Bug is air cooled? The Squareback uses a fresh air intake boot and the Thing may have a better air intake system that makes a missing seal slower to cause damage. Then again, they may just be cooking the engine and have no idea because they lack a temperature gauge.

You NEED the seal. We can no more afford cooling air leaks than a typical car can afford water leaks. Taking spent cooling air, heating it a bit more off the muffler, and sucking it back into the engine compartment is asking your engine to overheat.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
When the fan blows the hot air over the cylinders and under the car, wouldn't you outrun that air and not be pulling the hot air back up to the fan?

No.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

Have seen replicas without proper tins and yeah they seem to be OK. BUT I wont do that with any of my cars. I have a project that I have been working on off and on and this is what I did (have since enclosed the sides, etc. It really doesnt take that much work to make the stock tin work. Some sheet metal and access to a brake is nice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
ldj1002 wrote:
When the fan blows the hot air over the cylinders and under the car, wouldn't you outrun that air and not be pulling the hot air back up to the fan?

No.

To elaborate on this, consider what happens when you're driving down the road.

As you move down the road you do generate some lift, like an airplane wing does. The air going over the top of the car has to travel the same distance in the same time as the air going under the flat bottom of the car. This generates a low pressure zone over the car and a high pressure zone under the car.

Now I'm not saying you generate a lot of lift, but there's some. A Beetle does have a teardrop shape like an airplane wing but of course much much less efficient.

You have relatively higher pressure in the air under the car compared to the air flowing over the car, and of course with the cooling fan and engine running, the engine compartment is already a low pressure zone.

If the engine compartment seal is missing and/or there are holes in the tin, all that hot air that just got dumped under the car by the cooling system is forced by the high pressure right up through the gap in the tin into the engine compartment.

The tin and seal exists so that the waste hot air dumped by the cooling system can remain under the car and be swept away by the slipstream, leaving the vents below the rear window the only source of air into the engine compartment, thus ensuring a steady supply of cool air for the engine.

The air management on these cars is very well thought-out with lots of factory testing to back it up. So yes, you need the seal.

Next, ask me why Type 3s don't have a sealed engine compartment.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
Is engine tin to body seals really necessary?

Let me modify your question to "Are engine tins AND body seals really necessary?".

And then I'll answer with a question: do you want your engine to last, or maybe only run a few hours/days/weeks ?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:

Next, ask me why Type 3s don't have a sealed engine compartment.

Besides the fact that they have a dedicated air intake tract, why don't Type 3 cars have sealed engine compartments? Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

All the engineering decisions did not happen by mistake. The volume of fan at variable speeds, the requirements to adequately cool and preheat an air cooled engine, the surface area of cylinder head fins, and on and on. All of this is counting on a sealed compartment to run right. A sealed compartment is the one constant in the design chain. As engine sizes increased, so did fresh air intake (decklid vents) and compartment exhaust capabilities.

Perhaps VW found or learned that type 3s expel their own compartment air well enough by drawing the intake air so remotely? The flat back design of the car would also affect how air is exchanged back there. We know they were not perfect with the type 3 however, for this I submit, the fastback... Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Besides the fact that they have a dedicated air intake tract, why don't Type 3 cars have sealed engine compartments? Cool

Robbie

That is the reason Very Happy
Dedicated air intake tracts for both cooling and engine intake air, mind you.

It matters not that the waste heat air can get into the engine compartment because the cooling system intake and engine air intake are both sealed off from the engine compartment and fed by ducts in the bodywork that get cool fresh air from outside the engine compartment.

Now if you were to drive a Type 3 with the boot between the fan housing and body missing, that would be analagous to driving a Beetle/Bus/Ghia/Thing with the tin/engine compartment seal missing.
JKLNHYD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: engine tin to body seal really necessary? Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:

The above bold part of your post, seems to answer your own question.

The title kinda throws me off a bit. Necessary to start? No. Necessary to run? No. Necessary for what?

The tin on a bug IS the radiator. It is designed to redirect hot air away from the engine. Maybe an undersandable comparison is adding cardboard to the front of your truck radiator. Your truck will still run, but there IS a breakdown in the design of the cooling system. Obviously removing more tin is like adding more cardboard.

This is a good read on an explanation of some of the importance that the different tins play.

http://www.vw-resource.com/engine_tin.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: