Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

I have a 73 Type 2 Bus with a JDM EJ20 engine.

On the last cooling setup I had two custom radiators in a series configuration which did work well in tropical weather.

I am now going underbelly with a 3mm stainless steel scoop, Champion EC2375 aluminum radiator and a Flex-a-lite 116 16" fan in pull configuration. The radiator inlet and outlet pipes have been modified to save vertical space.

The scoop is airtight and has inlet area of 25% of radiator core area (90sq in) as recommended by RJES. The radiator is angled at 6 degrees to aid natural flow of coolant, improve airflow to the core and create space for the fan on top.

Ground clearance to the lowest point of the chassis is 13". The idea is to maintain a minimum ground clearance of 9" from the lowest point of the scoop.

I need your help. What do you think of the design as far as design and cooling effectiveness are concerned? Are there any tweaks I should make?

....and apologies for the hand drawings.

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by reithi on Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Apologies for hand drawn plans? Those look great. I have been pondering this to for a possible build. You have a scoop in the front for positive pressure, do you have a sealed exhaust vent to create negative pressure? I am only an a shade tree fool, but I think you need a wider/larger scoop out back to help pull also. I know you have a fan, but will it run constantly or have a thermostat? I'm on a learning curve.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

I wonder how well the fan will be able to do its job with it being so close to the floor above it? Can't think of a better alternative at this point in time though.
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Thanks Babysnakes.

babysnakes wrote:
You have a scoop in the front for positive pressure, do you have a sealed exhaust vent to create negative pressure?

No, I don't have a sealed exhaust vent. However, the fan has an airtight shroud to route all the hot air through the fan hole.

babysnakes wrote:
I am only an a shade tree fool, but I think you need a wider/larger scoop out back to help pull also. I know you have a fan, but will it run constantly or have a thermostat? I'm on a learning curve.

I have a thermostat to control the fan. I was hoping that with the radiator angled upwards at the front, it will effectively block air flow above the radiator to the back of the radiator creating negative pressure. Back to the drawing board on rear scoop.

Another area of concern, is cooling effectiveness in standstill traffic on hot days.

Last edited by reithi on Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

reithi wrote:
Another area of concern, is the cooling effectiveness in standstill traffic on hot days.

That's what the cooling fan is for.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

No doubt Skillz will be along soon to tell us we are all barking up the wrong tree, but in the meantime here's some sciency stuff to consider in your design: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meredith_effect
Myself I'd be inclined to tilt the radiator the opposite way and have the warm air exit from below, no hot floor in the bus and possibly less restriction. I'd still run a scoop at the front and carefully seal up any gaps between the frame, floor, etc, to force cool air through when moving. Same with the exhaust duct, apply a little science and some sealing and you can create a venturi effect that pulls the air through it with the right shape on the exit.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

While Oregon is admittedly not as warm a climate as Kenya, my current radiator lays flat with no shroud and thermostatic fans on top in a "pusher" configuration things relatively sealed to ensure airflow goes *through* the radiator not *around* .. and it's been cooling my engine just fine like that for about five years.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

I'm assuming you mean to hang it like this but with the radiator angled?

I agree with busdaddy that the radiator may be more efficient if it tilted the other way.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
No doubt Skillz will be along soon to tell us we are all barking up the wrong tree....

I have been watching since the thread has begun. sadly, I have nothing to offer, as I know what I know and what has been working for me, and that is keeping a bus cool in dallas as well.

what I have found is airflow under a bus isn't what you'd think. I still have davearks bus here trying to gain him some clearance on his exhaust. we ordered a system from a well known vendor and it ADDED 15* to the coolant temps....

so, the reality is, from what I have discovered doing these conversions 1 seemingly insignificant modification can blow the whole deal out of kilter. if just changing the exhaust design had that big of an impact on things, it is hard to advise the public at large what will work.

everyone has their own plan, and trying to standardize this stuff is like herding cats. cost on my cooling system is about 1K....but I know it works, and will work with a/c as well.

sadly, my cooling system has only been tested in conditions as hot as dallas, which is awesome that it works but I would really like to see what it would do in even worse conditions...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Think bigger
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22542
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Think bigger

That's a big fan and radiator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
reithi wrote:
Another area of concern, is the cooling effectiveness in standstill traffic on hot days.

That's what the cooling fan is for.

EDIT......the other concern is electric fan running constantly in standstill traffic on hot days.

Last edited by reithi on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:08 am; edited 2 times in total
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
While Oregon is admittedly not as warm a climate as Kenya, my current radiator lays flat with no shroud and thermostatic fans on top in a "pusher" configuration things relatively sealed to ensure airflow goes *through* the radiator not *around* .. and it's been cooling my engine just fine like that for about five years.

Thanks. The shroud is a double edged sword. Its effective on the move but restricts hot air dissipation when stationary. Pull or push fan? I guess I will have to test both on the road.
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
I'm assuming you mean to hang it like this but with the radiator angled?

Right

chabanais wrote:
I agree with busdaddy that the radiator may be more efficient if it tilted the other way.

I think that is right but I not sure it will work well in a downflow radiator as far as coolant flow is concerned.
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
No doubt Skillz will be along soon to tell us we are all barking up the wrong tree....

I have been watching since the thread has begun. sadly, I have nothing to offer, as I know what I know and what has been working for me, and that is keeping a bus cool in dallas as well.

what I have found is airflow under a bus isn't what you'd think. I still have davearks bus here trying to gain him some clearance on his exhaust. we ordered a system from a well known vendor and it ADDED 15* to the coolant temps....

so, the reality is, from what I have discovered doing these conversions 1 seemingly insignificant modification can blow the whole deal out of kilter. if just changing the exhaust design had that big of an impact on things, it is hard to advise the public at large what will work.

everyone has their own plan, and trying to standardize this stuff is like herding cats. cost on my cooling system is about 1K....but I know it works, and will work with a/c as well.

sadly, my cooling system has only been tested in conditions as hot as dallas, which is awesome that it works but I would really like to see what it would do in even worse conditions...

Thanks Skills. For starters, your thread on 70 deluxe project was an invaluable resource.

I agree there is no one-size-fits-all solution with all the variables out there. It's all about designing a solution that has a higher chance of success than failure.

Last edited by reithi on Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Think bigger

Thanks....that is one big ass radiator....but get the idea.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

due to location, your fan will come on in stop and go traffic....but so does every other fan on the planet.

if I sit at the dunkin donunts drive thru on a 80+ degree day and get behind some asshole with a suburban and 83 people in it, my fan will cycle once or twice.

my fan will also occasionally cycle on the freeway as well, but that is because it is a pusher fan. I would have loved you use a puller but it just hung down too low for my taste.

when I did have a puller installed, it didn't run on the highway. what you will soon come to realize is there is a series of trade offs in these conversions. I am running a way smaller radiator (expensive, but efficient) than everyone here and it sits 100% horizontal between the frame rails

when I do my camper over the winter, I may play with my configuration a bit to see what else I can come up with. but when you have something that works, it's hard to mess with favorable results

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

It looks like you're hoping to "tunnel" the air into the radiator with the scoop. (looks like it extends forward of the radiator). I can't think why this would be necessary.

I also don't think that any sort of scoop or whatever behind the radiator is necessary to pull air through. I don't have any. I do have a bit of plastic somewhat sealing the area in front of the radiator so no air goes above it from the front.

My radiator is mounted flat, with the bottom edge a little lower than flush with the bottom of the frame rails.

I'm wondering if your fan will fit with the shift tube and other control tubes running between the frame rails. I've got a fan mounted as a puller with no shroud and this seems to be just fine. All I really need the fan for is very occasionally in traffic. It is as wide as possible with still fitting to the right of the shift tube.

This pic is with the 4 inch scoop. EDIT: I think I raised the radiator up a little bit when I installed the 3 inch scoop. I forgot about that! So it is closer to flush than the pic appears.

More thoughts over in my build thread. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8214644#8214644

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing

Last edited by vwwestyman on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

...what you will soon come to realize is there is a series of trade offs in these conversions. I am running a way smaller radiator (expensive, but efficient) than everyone here and it sits 100% horizontal between the frame rails...

I haven't done one of these conversions, but from my experience I would expect that the size and quality of your radiator will be a larger factor here than the orientation of the fan and scoop. Unless you are willing to run a scoop from the air stream on the side of the bus. If I did one, I think I would run it to a box on top the bus like John, the engineer did. I think it would be the best way to keep it discrete without scooping crap into your radiator.

Overall, good luck. Like stated before, there is not right or wrong answer.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
I think it would be the best way to keep it discrete without scooping crap into your radiator..

collectively with all of my conversions we have 30,000 miles and counting with my configuration with no issues....

a roof mount deal really kind of destroys the bus. were I building a mad max ultimate off road bus I may go that way....

I am however doing my best to revisit the in bay deal. I want to get a solution that works without compromise....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: