Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Thanks for the input etc.......like to get a 2 to 2.5" thick but might have to get a 3" as that seems the only one available. Should the 19 x 22 be ok then ?

I don't remember the exact dimensions of my radiator, but I can say that they are very close to these.

So if you go to those dimensions or that range you should be fine.

Mine is constructed completely out of aluminum and was ordered from Summit Racing. I had to have different flanges welded on because they were too big as ordered.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Are you guys adding any Schrader valves or petcock(s) to the rad to assist in bleeding?

I'd really like a 2 1/4" - 2 3/4" thick rad if possible. Anyone know of any out there in and around the 19" x 22" ? 3" is a little low for my liking as my bus is lowered.
JPVWKD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Just stumbled on this thread (and this part of the forum for that matter) and some really interesting stuff going on over the pond. I started a forum (vwkd) back in 2006 when I first started out converting my early bay to watercooled just to try and get some like minded people to help me out and many of these conversation ensued around air flow and pressure.

I have been running a fairly crude set up for the last 10 years after a few failed attempts. Although here in the UK it is a tad cooler.

Anyway some pics but after reading this thread I may make some mods as I'd like to get it up a bit higher and the bus a bit lower.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PS I love the fUK'd comments a few pages back.. the company that makes these monstrosities are called Danbury and are just down the road from where I work so see lots of them on the roads.. horrible things.. hope they won't last much longer now they have stopped making the Bays out in Brazil.
1972 Triumph Spitfire
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

JPVWKD wrote:
Just stumbled on this thread (and this part of the forum for that matter) and some really interesting stuff going on over the pond. I started a forum (vwkd) back in 2006 when I first started out converting my early bay to watercooled just to try and get some like minded people to help me out and many of these conversation ensued around air flow and pressure.

I have been running a fairly crude set up for the last 10 years after a few failed attempts. Although here in the UK it is a tad cooler.

Anyway some pics but after reading this thread I may make some mods as I'd like to get it up a bit higher and the bus a bit lower.

PS I love the fUK'd comments a few pages back.. the company that makes these monstrosities are called Danbury and are just down the road from where I work so see lots of them on the roads.. horrible things.. hope they won't last much longer now they have stopped making the Bays out in Brazil.

Is the large opening of your "scoop" facing forward or backward? I.e. scooping the air, or creating a vacuum to pull air through.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

I had the same question as above. Hard to tell from the picture. My rad is lower on the front, scooping air. I've blocked off the back (which is higher) and forces the air down through the rad with two pusher fans.

Again, someone needs to make a good quality off the shelf version. It can't be that hard or expensive to do.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:

Again, someone needs to make a good quality off the shelf version. It can't be that hard or expensive to do.

there is no clean "off the shelf" unit to be had....that's why I made mine the way I made it. fab time is about 7-8 hours alone. @90/hr that's around 720.00 alone before you add the components.

it's hard to get a DIY guy to spend around 1K for the cooling set up...then pay for the shipping. I think this is why you see so many rube goldburg setups out there.

I spoke at length with RMW about cooling....but they are hell bent on using a fucking Vanagon radiator and have the most insane ducting I have seen to make that radiator work...but everyone has their own idea.

I will say mine is effective, runs cool in texas with a/c...so it's a win to me, and the people that I have done the conversion for know that they don't have to worry about overheating (unless of course there is an actual problem...bad fan/water pump etc)

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
JPVWKD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

My scoop is facing forward so scoops the air into it with 2 sucker spal fans to pull the air through though don't think they've ever come on due to the crap weather in this country. The radiator is from a old 90s Jag.

This place does off the shelf rad but not sure how good it is and I've seen RJES ones on buses but not seen it on his site

http://www.fellowsspeedshop.com/product/radiator/
1972 Triumph Spitfire
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

~I've spent some time on the VWKD site.....It's a lot of good conversion info.

~What's the dimensions of the Fellows rad? I've looked but can't find any.

~Found this really good conversion that someone did: http://1979vwconversion.blogspot.ca/2011_04_01_archive.html
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

IIRC fellows has you drill holes in the frame to run the pipes....not really a big fan of that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
IIRC fellows has you drill holes in the frame to run the pipes....not really a big fan of that

I don't like that either especially when you can go this route.....

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

After reading it, not only did he drill holes, he removed the rear one altogether.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Panel you taking orders at this time? What kind or what car/truck is that off of?

Last edited by Convoy on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

it's hard to get a DIY guy to spend around 1K for the cooling set up...

Shit, buying all the components for a external T1 oil cooler and shop time for fabrication is right around that much. To me it doesn't matter if it's a radiator or a oil cooler. Keeping the engine cool is most important and there's no need to skimp here.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Convoy wrote:
Panel you taking orders at this time? What kind or what car/truck is that off of?
It's this guys.... https://1979vwconversion.blogspot.ca/2011_04_01_archive.html
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

right....

and I stand by the moderately handy DIY'er can do the swap for 4-6K if they are thrifty.

several ways to go about this for sure, and many have had luck running X,Y and Z radiators.

I think that one in the photo a few pots above is from lopez over on STF. it works well, but I don't like the way he has the radiator act like a scoop. IIRC, it gets mounted on an angle, which is effective BUT makes it way more vulnerable to a direct hit.

one of the big reasons I don't disclose my setup is twofold. 1 is all the bullshit I got in my build thread, and one member here sent me a scathing p/m about how he was Gods gift to the automotive world and didn't think I had a clue.

second reason is I reached out to jake raby for help. at the time, I would have given him 10K and a blowjob for a solution. he declined, and gave me the 1 magic ingredient that makes what I do work. I chose the radiator (which he reached out to me to source for a cooling problem he was having) so we kind of in a fucked up way worked together.

so, out of respect for him, and I would assume him for me....we keep our mouths shut. and all of my swap clients have agreed to do the same. I am a man of my word and will take what jake told me to the grave

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

My radiator setup is sort of modeled off of the Fellows setup. If you dig around in my build thread, and get past a couple lame-o attempts at utilizing a too-small Golf radiator, you'll see some pics I uploaded from Fellows showing how their radiator system works.

Mine isn't nearly as pretty but seems to work now. Skills didn't tell me exactly what to order but graciously pointed me in the right direction though I still had to figure out how to hook it all up and all that, and I believe my air flow direction may be opposite of what he has done. It seems to work well, though I have noticed that after a while the floor of the bus does warm up from the hot air blowing up toward it. I too don't feel comfortable stating the exact setup based on what I was told thought at the same time have tried to pay the help forward.

I've thought about trying some reflective stuff under the floor, and about reversing the air flow, but it hasn't been bothersome enough to mess with that. I'd rather drive the bus!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
JPVWKD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

My original set up worked well but failed when I decided to lower the bus as it was about an inch from the ground Surprised ..

I then pulled the underbelly pans off to do a between the rails set up and discovered how rotten my bus was

I then tried this set up using the same rad but didn't work well at all

So that's why I have ended up where I am now.
1972 Triumph Spitfire
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Going flat between the rails isn't my favorite to be honest, but it works well. On a totally slammed bus you *could* cut the shift rod tube and leave the ends...problem is you would need custom bushings made to support the rod.

This would give you another 3/4 to 1" of space I think. Even the slim fans (that actually work...spal, etc) are quite thick. Almost wonder what a good work around would be to get the shift rod out of there all together...cable shift? Then you would have tons of room. Problem is we are trying to shove 10 pounds od shit in a 5 pound bag

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Almost wonder what a good work around would be to get the shift rod out of there all together...cable shift?

Cable shift would let you get the rod out altogether, the cable housings on my setup are only ~5/16" OD. While I ran mine -- and the hydraulic clutch line -- down the shift rod tube for simplicity/convenience, there's no reason you couldn't route them differently.

That said, my fans are arranged to let the shift rod fit between them, and in my case removing the rod wouldn't let me get the radiator any higher .. fans are too tall. Still, bottom surface of the rad is less than 1/2" below the bottom of the frame rail...
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

My fans are arranged to straddle the shift rod tube as well. In fact, that's why I went with two fans and have a brand new larger one sitting on the shelf in my garage.

With one larger one placed in the middle it forced me to have the rad too low for a lowered bus.

I'd say we do Subie or 1.8t swaps and cable shifts for all!

I like it and I got to say I like the fact we can speak about all of this more freely on the forum.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: