Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
Couldn't help but notice the ad says "3 aluminum radiators". Maybe after all the added holes and ears it still wasn't cooling adequately so they added a under belly rad?

could be...talk about a waste of money. 1 healthy custom one is keeping mine cool under the bus.

thanks to everyone who p/m'd me. now, someone get on it and find me a bus. I have a shipper I use that does the new england to florida run, and can get a semi decent deal on getting a bus shipped.

the thing is, I am closing in rapidly on fall, so any real testing would really need to be done come spring/summer of next year. proof of concept would be able to run around now, but I would like to put the coals to it come july/august

by then, my camper should be subarooed and air conditioned Laughing

in the meantime, my underbelly setup will continue to serve as the go to solution as it has proven itself time and time again

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Posted this in my build thread, but it is relevant in this one.

Quote:

I reinstalled the old, 4-inch deep scoop last night and drove it today. To my surprise, when I was driving this afternoon in warmer weather, I was seeing temps up to 211 or so. I fully expected that with the large scoop, I'd see the temp vascillate between the open and closing temps of the thermostat, which seem to be 199 and 205.

I had no problems last year under similar (and somewhat hotter) conditions

The only thing I can think of that is really different to last September when I originally built that scoop is the thermostat. I don't recall for sure what was in there then. The current one is an OEM one from an online vendor. But I did drill a tiny hole in it with an eye toward easier air bleeding. I wonder if that is somehow messing with it's operation and making it raise the temps a little? I dunno.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

It's been a while due to a heavy work schedule out of town over the last 3 weeks.

However, I have been keeping busy in the evenings at the hotel. One of the issues I have been working hard is to balance the 3" thick radiator and maintain 9" ground clearance at the minimum. A flat design could also work with a maximum scoop height of 3".

Anyway, here are the designs options I am considering.

Option 1 - 8 degrees tilt (Lots of clearance above the fan)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Option 2 - 5 degrees tilt (Realisitic with little margin of error above the fan)

Both options have the same volume (sort of) though I am not sure it really matters.

I am inclined to go for option 2. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by reithi on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Are those rectangles coming off the radiator your hose connections?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Are those rectangles coming off the radiator your hose connections?

Yes, they are radiator hose connections.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Can the people who have done this conversion chime in on radiator cost and labor cost involved.

1. Cost of buying off the shelf radiator and cost of welding new in/out locations

vs

2. Cost of buying a custom radiator with preferred in/out locations
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:
Can the people who have done this conversion chime in on radiator cost and labor cost involved.

1. Cost of buying off the shelf radiator and cost of welding new in/out locations

vs

2. Cost of buying a custom radiator with preferred in/out locations

My 2 row aluminum rad cost $160US and it cost me $75US ($100 CDN) to have the inlet/outlets relocated.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

That sounds close to what I paid for my radiator, and for the welding by the time I bought the hose pipes and paid a friend to weld it up.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Do you guys think that there is much efficiency loss by changing the inlet and outlets of an off the shelf radiator. Or enough efficiency loss to matter?

And thank you for your feedback! Very Happy
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Efficiency how?

I think most of us who change them do so to make the outlets point where we want to, vs. efficiency of cooling.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

I didn't know if changing from a right angle entrance and exit to a straight entrance and exit would change the flow of coolant enough to add or reduce any efficiency.

Or......
Is the radiator engineered in a way that changing the flow inlet/outlet could slow down or speed up the the flow at which coolant enters and leaves the radiator when you weld up the factory holes and add new ones.

Geez, confusing enough of a question?
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Most conventional radiators are designed to be mounted vertically with engine right behind which explains the inlet/outlet positions.

For the bus, the radiator is mounted in an unconventional horizontal position resulting in inlet/outlet facing up where space is at a premium.

Relocating the inlet/outlet solves the problem by pointing them towards the engine at the back.

As far as coolant flow efficiency is concerned, there will be a little to no difference as long as the relocated inlet/outlet remain diagonally positioned in a downflow radiator.
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Having dragged you into radiator scoop design, its only fair to share the end product.

I chose to go for the tried and tested design that has worked for many. Its made of 14 gauge stainless steel sheet and TIG welded. To maximise cooling effectiveness and minimise risk of air recirculation, the scoop is airtight. The fan shroud has been added but final decision is out with the jury until I take a test drive. Initial air suction testing simulating a stationary vehicle has been great.

Now onto the obligatory photos Smile

I will probably install it in the car later this week.

Thanks to all that chipped in with their thoughts particularly Dave aka VWWestyman for all the support as well as Skills and Webwalker aka Volksaru for the invaluable advice and build logs that have shaped the final design.

Last edited by reithi on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Oh stop it! You're making me blush. Embarassed

Ha ha

Looks very nice. I wish I had the gear to build something that pretty.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

So you aren't worried about reducing the surface area of your rad by sealing it up that tight? Looks mighty nice thou. Popcorn Will be interested to see how it performs
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

I think that design would be more efficient when the fan is on. I don't think these radiators get much airflow underneath, at least mine doesn't. I would think the built in shroud would make the fan so much more efficient you could run the fan more often but worry less about overheating.

I am interested to see how it compares next summer.

Good work !

Panamerican Highway - 2014-2017
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Oh stop it! You're making me blush. Embarassed

Ha ha

Looks very nice. I wish I had the gear to build something that pretty.

Thanks Dave

This looks like a winner from the tests I have done so far. I would never have done it right without help.

I don't have the tools to build the scoop either. I designed it on paper, bought stainless steel sheet and bolts, walked into a shop that cuts, bends and welds stainless steel. I drew up the cut and bend lines on the sheet......and voila I had scoop. Total cost for materials, cutting, bending and welding was $200.
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
So you aren't worried about reducing the surface area of your rad by sealing it up that tight? Looks mighty nice thou. Popcorn Will be interested to see how it performs

Thanks Captincanuck.

Good question. Shroud or no shroud? Tough question. When the bus is moving the shroud with limit airflow. Without the shroud, the fan will have to work harder in traffic.

The plan is to fit it on the bus and see how it performs. If it doesn't work out, I will remove it. I guess since the scoop is airtight, it won't make a big difference.
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

thebusandus wrote:
I think that design would be more efficient when the fan is on. I don't think these radiators get much airflow underneath, at least mine doesn't. I would think the built in shroud would make the fan so much more efficient you could run the fan more often but worry less about overheating.

I am interested to see how it compares next summer.

Good work !

Thanks Thebusandus.

Its a trade off. The idea is to maximise fan efficiency but at the expense of reduced radiator surface area.

A test drive in the crazy hills where I live will be the ultimate test.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

When I had a chance to drive my Bus on hot days, I found that with my scoop the fan didn't seem to add much of anything while driving. And when sitting there, my fan was able to pull enough air through the radiator without a shroud to keep the engine cool.

I don't know if your shroud will block enough to make it less efficient when driving, but I don't think it is necessarily necessary.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: