Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

With an airtight scoop, the shroud will probably be unnecessary.

I will give it a try once I layout the coolant pipes....which is another project on its own.

Last edited by reithi on Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

This is great reading.

Subscribed!
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

reithi wrote:
With an airtight scoop, the shroud will probably be unnecessary.

I will give it a try once I layout the coolant pipes....which is another project on its own.

Any updates to share with us?
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Updates?
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

It's been a while since I last posted. I have been busy with work and other projects.

That said, I started with brackets to mount the radiator to the chassis. They are made from 1.8mm Galvanised Sheet off cuts that remained from the passenger floor. The brackets are folded half inch in opposite directions for increased strength and less flexing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Finally got the radiator mounted using the stock holes for the belly pan.

It is suspended with bushes between the radiator and chassis to dampen fan vibrations.

Last edited by reithi on Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Next up are coolant pipes.....I will first use plastic plumbing pipes and bends as templates for bending the stainless steel pipes.

Thanks for the support.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

reithi wrote:
captincanuck wrote:
So you aren't worried about reducing the surface area of your rad by sealing it up that tight? Looks mighty nice thou. Popcorn Will be interested to see how it performs

Thanks Captincanuck.

Good question. Shroud or no shroud? Tough question. When the bus is moving the shroud with limit airflow. Without the shroud, the fan will have to work harder in traffic.

The plan is to fit it on the bus and see how it performs. If it doesn't work out, I will remove it. I guess since the scoop is airtight, it won't make a big difference.

No shroud now I see? Your setup looks very close to mine and several others here so I will share somethings I have noticed that might make you want to reconsider your air flow setup.

On the go cooling is great. Fans never come on when on the highway or cruising around town.

Stopped if the fan does come on, it cools down the temp at an acceptable rate and then turns off. (No problem yet)

Where I think you will see a problem could be if the fan needs to come on when on the highway (AC on, climbing a mountain, crazy hot outside temps).
What I notice is that when the fan comes on, the air is deflected by the floor, forced back through the rad and out the front of the scoop.
This would obviously mess up your air flow at speed. (Unless you are leaving it with no floor, than it should work great Laughing )

Give it a shot and see if you see the same thing happening. I will probably redesign mine over the winter, adding a shroud or redesigning to air in from the top and out the bottom with a pusher fan. No real traffic or much heat over 30C up here so hasn't effected me much yet.
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

That sounds like hot air is recirculating through the radiator core. There are two ways to fix the problem.

1) Shroud
2) Scoop or deflector behind the radiator to direct hot air away from the floor.

I have the perfect hill to take it in a couple of weeks. It's about 5 miles long steep climb with no turns.
Bansheelos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Nice design!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

My radiator is scooped from below, with a puller fan above.

I've gut a chunk of plastic sheeting keeping air from blowing down through the radiator from above. It is just from the top edge of the radiator to the underside of the floor.

On my drive to and through Colorado this past week, it did well. Climbing up the passes at somewhat low speeds (following older buses) so high power, low airflow the hottest I saw the engine was about 212. Best I can tell, VW says 220 is the hightest as is "normal" for a TDI so that was pretty good. I did have the fan running up those climbs and sometimes turned the heater on.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I've gut a chunk of plastic sheeting keeping air from blowing down through the radiator from above. It is just from the top edge of the radiator to the underside of the floor.

That is the missing link on my setup Dave. I will have to drive it through torturous hills where I live before changing anything.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

What temps are you guys noticing your fans coming on ? I blew over my header tank overflow (on manifold) the other day while just idling in the driveway. I must still have bubbles in the system or just need a better rad. The one I have on there now is a Visteon-Sprint-Cup NASCAR-Oilcooler I turned into a radiator. 1.5" thick. Think I should go up to a 3" one ?

Old pic for ref:

tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Mine kick on around 90C/195F...
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Mine kick on around 90C/195F...
You have one or two fans?

Tricks for bleeding ?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Two fans but they're wired in parallel to come on together. Never had any real trouble bleeding after I realized the front heater was higher than the motor and added an expansion bottle in the glovebox; fill the system, run it until the thermostat opens, shut it off to cool, top off.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

panel wrote:
...I blew over my header tank overflow (on manifold) the other day while just idling in the driveway. I must still have bubbles in the system or just need a better rad. The one I have on there now is a Visteon-Sprint-Cup NASCAR-Oilcooler I turned into a radiator. 1.5" thick. Think I should go up to a 3" one ?

My guess would be that you need a radiator, not an oil cooler.

I don't understand why you would even consider using a smaller radiator meant for oil than a larger radiator meant for engine water coolant Confused
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:

My guess would be that you need a radiator, not an oil cooler.

I don't understand why you would even consider using a smaller radiator meant for oil than a larger radiator meant for engine water coolant Confused

wow...

yea, oil cooler designs are way, way different than that of a radiator. I would ditch that an buy a real radiator.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Thanks for the input etc.......like to get a 2 to 2.5" thick but might have to get a 3" as that seems the only one available. Should the 19 x 22 be ok then ?
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

I don't say bigger the better. I've been using the Dodge Durango one on my bus for five years. No issues. Two fans on top blowing down. I'm considering getting the champion one but hard to justify considering mine is fine.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: