Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, guys. Even Scriv's Rolling Eyes (lol). Ideally, I would like a Subie swap, but not in this vehicle. If she had less rust and I had a lot more funds, maybe.

Yes, skills and Bill, I read the feedback from the other thread. But I was being given advice I didn't want to hear at the time. It wasn't until I saw the results of the seat dropping that the reality hit and I understood what more experienced people had been telling me was the right path to follow. I'm there now, so new or rebuilt heads are on the shopping list.

What Bill said makes sense. In my mind, I thought the only reason to split the case was to rebuild it. Duh, I hadn't even thought of opening it to inspect it. So that will be my next step. Then it will go from being an unknown engine to one I will have more confidence in.

It's going to be a long process to get her up and running again. Things are looking better medically, but the financial hit is going to be a longer recovery period. And Chloe will be part of that rehabilitation process.

On a side note, Bill helped me recently with my distributor. He informed me the dizzy in Chloe wasn't correct for the engine, which I didn't know. Luckily, he was finishing up a rebuild of a correct one, so I bought it from him. The thing is beautiful and looks fresh off the assembly line. Anyone who needs their distributor refreshed or rebuilt should contact Bill.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Now that my engine is out and in numerous pieces, waiting for parts (and funds for said parts!), I am going thru Chloe and fixing all those little projects that have been building up for the past year. For example, the windshield is out, and the surface rust cleaned out, de-rustified and painted. And the metal part of the dash has been sanded and painted. They're looking good, just waiting for the windshield seal to arrive.

Another little project is dealing with the transmission. The plastic ball in the nosecone's selector link is not there. And no pieces of it to be found inside, so it must have been this way for some time. From reading a couple threads here, I read about the metal replacement ball from Weddle, so I ordered one. And promptly lost it and ordered another one. Rolling Eyes Now I have a new ball, and am trying to figure out how to get it into the selector link...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I measured the ball and the opening in the link, and there is about a half mm interference fit. The ball fits inside the link sideways very nicely....

...but it's not very functional in that orientation.

Am I missing something blatantly obvious here? It would make sense for the ball to slip in sideways, as shown in the last pic, and rotate to lock into the semi-spherical opening of the selector link. But it won't rotate in there.
Then my thought turns to pressing it in... which doesn't sound like a good idea with a cast metal fitting. I can visualize it shattering.

On a different subject, I bit the bullet and ordered gauges today. DD CHT, VDO oil temp and pressure, and battery gauges. I've decided it may help me from being in this engine-less bind in the future. Ignorance is bliss...until the pain sets in.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

You may consider putting the ball/bearing piece in your freezer for a few hours, then put the arm in your toaster for about 20 minutes at 200’ F

Then take the ball out of the freezer, into some grease, then try to press it into the arm.

Probably want to wait on some Peer Review on my suggestion first, though.

I refreshed all the nose cone parts in my 1977 bus and cannot remember having any issues. But I’ll say after a total shifter mechanism overhaul... front to back; bushings, tube cleaning and grease, etc.... I could shift all four gears with just my thumb and index finger. So nice!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

With the ball in that orientation you can't just rotate it in place? That's how I did mine. Push in and rotate.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
With the ball in that orientation you can't just rotate it in place? That's how I did mine. Push in and rotate.

No, the ball is too big to rotate inside the link.

I wonder if there are different sizes of balls, and I was sent the wrong one...?

Wasted youth wrote:
I refreshed all the nose cone parts in my 1977 bus and cannot remember having any issues. But I’ll say after a total shifter mechanism overhaul... front to back; bushings, tube cleaning and grease, etc.... I could shift all four gears with just my thumb and index finger. So nice!

That sounds great! Much better than the arm wrestling I've sometimes had to do to get into first gear. Laughing

---WildIdea

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I hope you get it worked out. I suppose there could be different sizes, just as there are several styles of transmissions.

You’re in for a real treat when you get ALL of the shifter assembly renewed, it’s just as enlightening as driving the bus the first time the front end gets rebuilt and steering aligned... or when the fuel injection is perfectly tuned.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
You’re in for a real treat when you get ALL of the shifter assembly renewed, it’s just as enlightening as driving the bus the first time the front end gets rebuilt and steering aligned... or when the fuel injection is perfectly tuned.

It would definitely be a new experience. Very Happy

When I had my first '71 Campmobile in the '80's (pre-Internet and pre-Samba Shocked ), the shifter was extremely loose with probably no bushings. I only had a Chiltons manual and the Idiot book, not knowing there was any other reference like Bentley's.

Shifting was always a new learning experience every time I drove it. Shifting from 1st to 2nd could be a three foot movement, usually fore and aft, but sometimes you might have to search for it closer to the passenger seat. And reverse? Fergitaboudit... It might be there somewhere, but it's one chance in 20 to find it. And that was one of the reasons I sold. Well, that and needing money for school. As most guys say on here, "I wish I still had it."

---WildIdea

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if there are different sizes of balls, and I was sent the wrong one...?

Between you and the Maker, me thinks.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Very Happy you can run a bolt thru it and chuck it in a drill - then spin and file--- keep measuring though-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Problem solved! But it was a fluke.

When I ordered the ball from Weddle, I ordered a total of five. I planned on having some to give to friends when they needed one. And the shipping was the same for five as it was for one, so why not.

Well, the first four didn’t fit... but the fifth one slid in tightly. Go figure.

And yes, Bill, I think I will use the spin-n-file technique on the other ones. That’s good thinking.

So this serves as a heads-up to Sambanistas. It may take either multiple parts to get one to fit, or you may need to whittle it down a bit. I’m just glad I didn’t try pressing it in. I would have ruined the ball and the bracket.

Thanks to everyone who offered ideas! And if anyone needs one of these balls, let me know. I’ve got extras. (I’ll even ship to Canada! Lol!)

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Very Happy you can run a bolt thru it and chuck it in a drill - then spin and file--- keep measuring though-

That was an excellent idea of yours, Bill. I tried it, but the ball was harder than my file, so it left little bald spots on the file. Lol!

The Weddle replacement balls appear to be very good quality, so it's possible my bracket has gotten mushed from running without a ball? Not sure.

But I still have a few spares of the Weddle balls. If anyone needs one, let me know. I can drop one in the mail for you.

---WildIdea

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Balls!!!

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Balls!!!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ..... Laughing

Progress is being made, albeit at a pace that makes a snail look like Speed Racer....

This weekend, I ran about 12' of 1/2" PEX tubing under the floor thru existing holes in the floor support structure, from in front of the engine bay to near the steering column. Inside that are four 14g wires, and the leads for a thermocouple. These will be used for the CHT, oil temp, oil pressure and voltage gauges. Plus one extra wire in case I decide to install a tach in the future. I know.... it's kinda overkill, but I'd rather have too much info than not enough. If I had a CHT installed, it may have saved this engine from biting the dust.

My bank account is not happy with me this week. After spending a few hundred on gauges, another few hundred was spent on a new Web Cam, cam gear, lifters and misc parts. The cam is a 3-4 week lead time, so there's lotsa time to order the other parts and also work on getting Chloe in order.

According to John at Aircooled.net, AA is the only maker of pistons and liners for an 1800 engine. That makes for an easy decision. Robbie informed me that Aircooled.net will balance the pistons for only $40, so I am going with that deal. Also will be getting bearings and the engine seal/gasket kit from him. John has been very helpful. He's responded to my emails quickly, even replying at 10pm once! He must be very dedicated at his job.

CarlosZ has been kind enough to offer me the heads from his old 1800, which I'll have rebuilt by the shop that built his engine a year or so ago.

Oh, I forgot to mention...
Last week, I tried to pull out one of the gallery plugs near the #4 cylinder. I did the trick of carefully drilling a hole (with grease) and threading a sheet metal screw into it. The first screw wasn't very strong and broke off. So I tried a second screw, which had deeper threads and made from a harder material. When I tried to pry off the gallery plug using a pry bar, it wouldn't budge. Finally that screw broke off too, so I figured the gallery plugs are in there to stay, and trying to replace them is futile. Or at least that one is. I'm planning on staking them as a precaution. It can't hoit, right?

Since I have lots of time before Chloe will be operational again, I'm looking at some pre-preventative maintenance, especially in the hard to reach areas once the engine is in place. The first thing that comes to mind is the alternator. This one has been running fine. But would it be advantageous to have it rebuilt now? Or should I just check the condition of the wiring and brushes and call it good?

Now that the wiring for gauges has been run, next up will probably be the replacement of all the shift rod bushings. And then a couple dozen other small items I'd like to get done. It's similar to owning a home; the list of things to do never ends! Laughing

---WildIdea

tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Xevin wrote:
Balls!!!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ..... Laughing

Progress is being made, albeit at a pace that makes a snail look like Speed Racer....

This weekend, I ran about 12' of 1/2" PEX tubing under the floor thru existing holes in the floor support structure, from in front of the engine bay to near the steering column. Inside that are four 14g wires, and the leads for a thermocouple. These will be used for the CHT, oil temp, oil pressure and voltage gauges. Plus one extra wire in case I decide to install a tach in the future. I know.... it's kinda overkill, but I'd rather have too much info than not enough. If I had a CHT installed, it may have saved this engine from biting the dust.

My bank account is not happy with me this week. After spending a few hundred on gauges, another few hundred was spent on a new Web Cam, cam gear, lifters and misc parts. The cam is a 3-4 week lead time, so there's lotsa time to order the other parts and also work on getting Chloe in order.

According to John at Aircooled.net, AA is the only maker of pistons and liners for an 1800 engine. That makes for an easy decision. Robbie informed me that Aircooled.net will balance the pistons for only $40, so I am going with that deal. Also will be getting bearings and the engine seal/gasket kit from him. John has been very helpful. He's responded to my emails quickly, even replying at 10pm once! He must be very dedicated at his job.

CarlosZ has been kind enough to offer me the heads from his old 1800, which I'll have rebuilt by the shop that built his engine a year or so ago.

Oh, I forgot to mention...
Last week, I tried to pull out one of the gallery plugs near the #4 cylinder. I did the trick of carefully drilling a hole (with grease) and threading a sheet metal screw into it. The first screw wasn't very strong and broke off. So I tried a second screw, which had deeper threads and made from a harder material. When I tried to pry off the gallery plug using a pry bar, it wouldn't budge. Finally that screw broke off too, so I figured the gallery plugs are in there to stay, and trying to replace them is futile. Or at least that one is. I'm planning on staking them as a precaution. It can't hoit, right?

Since I have lots of time before Chloe will be operational again, I'm looking at some pre-preventative maintenance, especially in the hard to reach areas once the engine is in place. The first thing that comes to mind is the alternator. This one has been running fine. But would it be advantageous to have it rebuilt now? Or should I just check the condition of the wiring and brushes and call it good?

Now that the wiring for gauges has been run, next up will probably be the replacement of all the shift rod bushings. And then a couple dozen other small items I'd like to get done. It's similar to owning a home; the list of things to do never ends! Laughing

That's very good of CarolsZ. I popped into Conemac last week to get the gears pressed off my crank. He has literally hundreds of type 4 cases in the shop. I'm sure he'll have anything else if you need it.

Have you been able to pull any of the gallery plugs? After cleaning my case out a second time I don't think I'd risk not pulling them. You don't want to risk releasing the grit that might be lurking there on a newly built engine. Conemac can probably do it for you. I've had success with European Motorworks in Hawthorne for my latest build.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
Have you been able to pull any of the gallery plugs? After cleaning my case out a second time I don't think I'd risk not pulling them. You don't want to risk releasing the grit that might be lurking there on a newly built engine. Conemac can probably do it for you. I've had success with European Motorworks in Hawthorne for my latest build.

I've only tried pulling one out, without success. But I didn't think about letting the pros do it.
Thanks for the great idea.

---WildIdea

Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS, I got my galley plugs out using a carpenters nail puller(cat's paw), after drilling the plugs for a sheet metal screw. The leverage made it easy. Quit using those horrible freight screws! Just teasing, of course, but I have never had a sheet metal screw break off. Odd. Drywall screws will break, you are not using those, are you? If any sheet metal screw would break, I would assume it was that poor quality chinese stuff.
I rebuilt my 73 over the last couple of years, going to 1800 also. I was fortunate to find a set of NPR pistons and cylinders NOS. I have a limited budget also, so my bank account took a hit and I would have to wait a month to buy the next round of stuff. Did the same, Web cam cam, gear and lifters. as an aside, I bought your Butty's Bit throttle linkage that didn't fit your bus.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Hiya Tbob... Hope the Bits from Butty works well for you. They're a pretty amazing piece of equipment, aren't they?

It's pretty cool to think of all the parts from Chloe that have gone to help other Sambanistas. One jalousie will soon be installed in Andrewtf's Riviera; the other jalousie went to a guy in New Jersey; dual Kadrons went to a guy locally who was building his bus up on a shoestring; seats went to a guy on LA. And spare parts I didn't use went into Big Emma's stash (parts are now bobbing around the Gulf of Mexico somewhere Shocked ). Andrewtf's heater boxes and muffler will go on Chloe when she's ready for them. When I was collecting fuel injection parts from all over, I found the vast majority here in the classifieds or via the vendors list. And without The Samba, none of us would have been able to accomplish this. Pretty dang cool. Cool

As for the plugs, the first screw I tried was probably a cheap one, since I just fished it out of a pile I had. And did use a cats claw. The second screw was similar to a drywall screw but is called a contractors screw and is much stronger. I got good leverage and pull on it, but it just wouldn't budge.

Since I already have two broken screws in the plug, maybe I'll find a good sheet metal screw and try again. Thanks for the input.

Wow, this thread got really boring really fast, didn't it? Laughing

---WildIdea

Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS, Yes, the Butty's Bit thing went on well. I have not driven the bus a whole lot since the install as the tires are weather checked badly from sitting, and I haven't decided what to put back on it. In LT tires we seem to only have a few choices, I will have to decide.
I have had my bus for 35 years. The original 1.7 went 151,000 miles before I premptively rebuilt it in 1990. I was fortunate at the time to be able to buy lots of NOS parts cheap. The only parts that were worn at that mileage were the cam and lifters, even the original crosshatch was on the cylinders. I kept them for some future project. That was 28 years ago! Who am I kidding, future project! Here it is in the future, I still haven't done a project. They were just too good to throw away.
I rebuilt it again over the last few years because the oil pump idler shaft migrated and contacted the cam. This seems to be a common problem, and I would address it before you go back together. As our oil pumps get older, people seem to be having this problem. I drilled and pinned my shaft on my replacement pump. SGKent speaks highly of a guy named Whip618 (Phil) who may or may not redo the pumps, depending on his health. He wasn't doing it when I redid mine a couple of years ago, so I did my own. But, I would see if he is back in, and if so, send my pump to him for refurbishment.
Other than that, follow all the advice for measuring, checking cam bearings for endplay, cam bolts to oil pump clearance, distributor drive endplay, etc, etc. You have a good group of support "staff" to help you, Good Luck!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
It's pretty cool to think of all the parts from Chloe that have gone to help other Sambanistas. One jalousie will soon be installed in Andrewtf's Riviera; the other jalousie went to a guy in New Jersey; dual Kadrons went to a guy locally who was building his bus up on a shoestring; seats went to a guy on LA. And spare parts I didn't use went into Big Emma's stash (parts are now bobbing around the Gulf of Mexico somewhere Shocked ). Andrewtf's heater boxes and muffler will go on Chloe when she's ready for them. When I was collecting fuel injection parts from all over, I found the vast majority here in the classifieds or via the vendors list. And without The Samba, none of us would have been able to accomplish this. Pretty dang cool.

One of my favorite finds (that I forgot to mention in the previous post) is the license plate frame from WilliamM...

Having grown up in SLO, it feels nice to have a piece of the town with me. Thanks again, Bill. Dancing

---WildIdea

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Do you have one of those slide-hammer dent-puller dealies?
Maybe you could borrow one?

Always used one of those vs. prying; the shock or impact makes the pull effortless.

Wish you were closer.. Stuff like that is so easy once you are tooled up for it.

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 39 of 57

Jump to: