Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

It’s nice to know you are rolling again. And weird to see Robbie in long pants.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
It’s nice to know you are rolling again. And weird to see Robbie in long pants.

Thanks Tom. It felt great to be able to drive to Lake Havasu, and only had to downshift into 3rd once. The Craigslist engine I found is running great.

And Robbie was even seen wearing footwear that didn’t show toes. Shocked

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM

Last edited by KentABQ on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Ha! Not me but those ties look rad!

I gotta say, we’re talking about making the trip to BBB someday. I think I can drop south from SD through Denver and just hug the mountains SW and drop right in. I’m thinking in a few years and maybe even pull a kid out of school and make a buddy trip with either one brave enough to do it with me. The cold doesn’t worry me, just waiting out a snow blast if we get caught and allow for some wrenching. Thinking a two weeks off and it could happen. A dream trip to roll in there and camp with ya’all.

That pic of you Kent all bundled up makes it look frigid. At this point of the winter we’re coatless if it hits 35* and at 40* we open the windows of the house and let it breath! Crisp, clean air and no flies!
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

That would be one of those trips your child would remember and tell his kids. CarlosZ had his two young boys with him, and they were having a blast. So I say GoForIt! Stop off at the Grand Canyon, catch other sights... You'd be a shoe-in for the Dad-of-the-Year award.

Yeah, I hadn't meant to post that pic of me as a cold wimp. I took almost a 100 pics, and sorting them by looking at little thumbnail shots can be challenging. But I live where it gets 125+ in the hottest days of summer, so 60 feels like frostbite is imminent. I start layering when temps get below 75. Yup, I'm a cold wimp.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Next year gents, I’m doing it! Such a magical event.
I always appreciate those who share pics and video

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Next year gents, I’m doing it! Such a magical event.
I always appreciate those who share pics and video

Yes! You'll have a great time, Sam. Being surrounded by hundreds of like-minded VW geeks is an experience that is hard to express.
I would compare it to Woodstock, but that was even before MY time...

Looking forward to seeing you there. Dancing

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Glad this didn't happen at BBB... Very Happy

For the past couple years, it was sometimes difficult to get the ignition key to crank the engine completely. And what I mean by that is... maybe 15% of the time, the key will either (1) turn completely but not have any affect (no click, no crank, no dimming of lights), or (2) it would click and then have no affect, or (3) crank for a very brief period and then have no affect.

After one of those three things would happen, I would turn the key off and then it would start normally. And since it occurred occasionally and I could still get it to start, I just chalked it up as another of Chloe's idiosyncrasies. She has many of them.

Buuuuuut this afternoon, I turned the key to start, and only got one little click. Then no matter how many turns of the key, there was dead silence and no dimming of the dash lights.

After many trials, I was finally successful at getting enough cranking to start the engine. But to do it, I had to push the key hard down into the ignition switch while turning the key, using ViseGrips on the key. (I have no idea how I thought of trying that technique.)

Reviewing The Samba and Mayor Ratwell's sites, I believe the problem is a bad electrical portion of the ignition switch. But still being new at troubleshooting, I'd like others opinions before proceeding with replacing the possible bad switch.

Question So wadyathink? Am I going in the right direction by replacing the ignition switch? I've taken the steering wheel and turn signal/wiper switch off to access the ignition. But I need to buy an EZ Out and an M8 x15 bolt to proceed, so I thought I'd ask the pro's first.

As an aside, I did a compression test on the Craigslist engine I bought a couple months ago. Cylinders 1, 2, and 4 were in the 100-105 range, while #3 was 125 psi. I thought that was unusual, given that #3 is usually the troublemaker in the bunch.

Following the compression check and timing, I thought I'd try my luck at the dreaded semi-annual Smog Test Evil or Very Mad. My luck continues, as it passed the test again with very good numbers. Big relief. Now I'm good for two more years.

---WildIdea

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Congratulations on the smog!

The higher #3 compression could be extra carbon buildup as often happens in that cylinder, doesn't sound bad though, how did that sparkplug look compared to the rest?

You need a new ignition switch (the electrical part), you may not need an EZ-out 99% of those bolts are loose already and can be tickled with a small chisel in the CCW direction enough to remove them, a hacksaw cut across the head converts it into a slot screw for reinstallation.
Buy 2 switch portions, many are poor quality and if you have a spare in the glove box you can plug it in under the column, start it with a screwdriver and drive home when the first one fails.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Congratulations on the smog!

Thanks BD! It was a huge relief.

busdaddy wrote:
The higher #3 compression could be extra carbon buildup as often happens in that cylinder, doesn't sound bad though, how did that sparkplug look compared to the rest?

The plugs were only in for about 1500 miles. 1 and 3 had the ashy grey appearance to them, while 2 and 4 still showed white on the porcelain. I was told it's running too lean.

busdaddy wrote:
You need a new ignition switch (the electrical part), you may not need an EZ-out 99% of those bolts are loose already and can be tickled with a small chisel in the CCW direction enough to remove them, a hacksaw cut across the head converts it into a slot screw for reinstallation.

That's great info... Thanks BD. I'm glad I asked before proceeding.

busdaddy wrote:
Buy 2 switch portions, many are poor quality and if you have a spare in the glove box you can plug it in under the column, start it with a screwdriver and drive home when the first one fails.

Even more good info. I already have one that I bought a while ago. But I'll buy a spare or two as you suggested.

---WildIdea

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Kent, there are a lot of NOS VW made ignition switches still out there. I've sourced two for my rig. For the time it takes to change them, if you can find a NOS German original, I'd go that route vs the latest poor offering from chungmahong manufacturing. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

The late switch is a piece of cake to replace compared to a 71, crack the cap on the washer reservoir to vent the pressure, unplug everything from under the column (hoses too), remove the steering wheel and remove that pinch bolt with the funny theft proof head. The whole column switch assembly lifts/slides up the column and into your lap for access to the switch on the bottom, one screw on the switch and reverse the whole process to remantle. Probably a good idea to disconnect the battery, and don't skip setting the gap between the switch assembly and steering wheel before tightening that pinch bolt so your horn works and the signals cancel properly.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The late switch is a piece of cake to replace compared to a 71, crack the cap on the washer reservoir to vent the pressure, unplug everything from under the column (hoses too), remove the steering wheel and remove that pinch bolt with the funny theft proof head. The whole column switch assembly lifts/slides up the column and into your lap for access to the switch on the bottom, one screw on the switch and reverse the whole process to remantle. Probably a good idea to disconnect the battery, and don't skip setting the gap between the switch assembly and steering wheel before tightening that pinch bolt so your horn works and the signals cancel properly.

That still seems like a lot of work to do TWICE Mr. Busdaddy!?! What if Kent and I PREFER not do the same job twice MISTER?! Huh?

What if it's time for us to simply stand up and say NO to the Chinese man and his cheap "economy" parts. Someone must take a leadership role in this crisis and I'm glad Kents our man to do it!

Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
What if it's time for us to simply stand up and say NO to the Chinese man and his cheap "economy" parts.

I agree completely, but sometimes you don't get what you are hoping for or can't find the good stuff on short notice, there's more than one supplier shipping garbage in a German box claiming it's the real deal these days. A spare close at hand (even if it's a shitty one) will get you home, late ignition switches have been hit and miss even if you hold out for the "good stuff" lately.

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

EIS switches seem to be pretty good these days. Haven’t had bad enough luck with them to try the EMPI offerings.

The electrical switch should also fix your X terminal issues that we found before BBB.

Congrats on the smog results too!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
... and don't skip setting the gap between the switch assembly and steering wheel before tightening that pinch bolt so your horn works and the signals cancel properly.

Wait... huh?

Could you elaborate a little? Bentley not with me right now.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I’ve put one of these switches into the 74 Westy, not too bad of a job. Be patient, you’ll get it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
... and don't skip setting the gap between the switch assembly and steering wheel before tightening that pinch bolt so your horn works and the signals cancel properly.

Wait... huh?

Could you elaborate a little? Bentley not with me right now.

Late buses have a turn signal cancelling tab (plastic, sometimes breaks) on the signal switch that is grabbed by a metal wire piece on the steering wheel to cancel the signals after a turn. They also have a copper tab on the column that is the connection for the horn, which rides on a copper ring on the steering wheel to complete the circuit. The gap between the wheel and the column switches is specified to make sure the signals cancel and the horn honks. Bentley specifies the gap; if I had to guess I would say 1.0mm.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

That worked great, BD. Thanks for the tip.

SamboSamba22 wrote:
I’ve put one of these switches into the 74 Westy, not too bad of a job. Be patient, you’ll get it.

That's the trick, Sam... Take it slow, and follow Ratwell's excellent instructions.

I probably have 20 boxes of VW parts, and I searched thru all of them twice. But still couldn't find the switch I know I have. It was always easy to find when I'm looking for something else, though. Rolling Eyes

I searched EIS's site, but couldn't find the part. But WolfWest appears to have German switches available. I've learned to trust WW when they offer a product for sale.

---WildIdea

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

That worked great, BD. Thanks for the tip.

SamboSamba22 wrote:

That's the trick, Sam... Take it slow, and follow Ratwell's excellent instructions.

I probably have 20 boxes of VW parts, and I searched thru all of them twice. But still couldn't find the switch I know I have. It was always easy to find when I'm looking for something else, though. Rolling Eyes

I searched EIS's site, but couldn't find the part. But WolfWest appears to have German switches available. I've learned to trust WW when they offer a product for sale.

Though 90% of the time I’m completely satisfied with WW, they surprise me with total crap every now and then. Though, I believe it to be more linked to the quality of third party suppliers. I’m excited they continue to create and produce their own products, we need it as a community.

tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

Though 90% of the time I’m completely satisfied with WW, they surprise me with total crap every now and then. Though, I believe it to be more linked to the quality of third party suppliers. I’m excited they continue to create and produce their own products, we need it as a community.

They sold me a brake booster that didn't work and never responded to my feedback. I hear they do sell some good products but they are generally not very open to feedback on quality. Personally, won't buy anything from them again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 42 of 57

Jump to: