Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Stop mid day, his HOA sucks Laughing no nighttime camping! Crying or Very sad

What? Bill doesn’t have a HOA in his neighborhood Think Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
It's amazing how life can change suddenly when you're not looking... Shocked

This long-term born-n-raised California boy is picking up stakes and moving to Florida.

As many have mentioned in other threads, the cost of living in California is rising with no end in sight, and available work in my field is slowing down. Luckily, I have an excellent job opportunity in Orlando that is too good to pass up.
So this California Hillbilly is headin' East! Arrow

that's cool! just don't be like this guy:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Stop mid day, his HOA sucks Laughing no nighttime camping! Crying or Very sad

What? Bill doesn’t have a HOA in his neighborhood Think Laughing

HOA? Pppfffttt.. someone discussed one once. Funny, he hasn't been seen in years since... My 'hoods' a bit rough.... Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
It's amazing how life can change suddenly when you're not looking... Shocked

This long-term born-n-raised California boy is picking up stakes and moving to Florida.

As many have mentioned in other threads, the cost of living in California is rising with no end in sight, and available work in my field is slowing down. Luckily, I have an excellent job opportunity in Orlando that is too good to pass up.
So this California Hillbilly is headin' East! Arrow

that's cool! just don't be like this guy:

Interesting. When I lived in California in the 80's, this bumper sticker was all over the locals cars.

Now, everyone in the country needs one that says "Welcome ex-Californians, now go back home".

Hell, I moved out of there in the early 90's. Even then, there was a waiting list to get a U-haul as so many people were pulling the rip-cord and bailing from there.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I love reading op-ed articles from literally every city newspaper outside of California.

“Traffic is getting worse!”
“Mac N Cheese dishes are $14!”
“Rent is going up due to gentrification!”
“Beers are nearing $8 a pint!”

And those are just the papers from Oregon and Colorado... Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I love reading op-ed articles from literally every city newspaper outside of California.

“Traffic is getting worse!”
“Mac N Cheese dishes are $14!”
“Rent is going up due to gentrification!”
“Beers are nearing $8 a pint!”

And those are just the papers from Oregon and Colorado... Razz

Yes. It totally sucks here in Oregon. Better to keep moving east to wherever.
I’ll stay here and keep folks diverted east towards Nebraska. I’m sure taxes in California are better, plus the weather, and cost of living is fantastic in Cali. Why would you leave? Carry on 😉

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Not sure whether to post this here or the "Stupid Question" sticky.
But this thread has never proven me to be a Mensa candidate, so here goes:

I'm currently living in the desert with extremely low humidity. Typically it's around 10%.
And mainly for financial reasons, I'm moving to a high humidity climate: Orlando Florida.

My van has some areas of rust, and I've put that rust converter stuff on the areas I've found.
The rust converter says it neutralizes the rust, and it appears to have done its job well here in the desert.

Since I'll be living in a "moist" climate, is there anything further I can do to keep the rust from progressing, other than replacing the affected metal? Replacement is in the long-term goal, but not an option for perhaps another 3-5 years. I'm wanting to stop the spread of the cancer as much as possible.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Colin always preaches that the water has to get out. That means making sure all your drain holes are present, clear and correct. I think. Living in LA I didnt pay much attention to that Laughing
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Rust converter alone won't do in a humid climate, you'll need Waxoil or a similar cavity wax and lots of it to seal it up so it won't come back. Spooge it good now so it has time to creep into the seams and drip away before the car shipper gets all wound up about it dripping on something expensive parked below it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Rust converter alone won't do in a humid climate, you'll need Waxoil or a similar cavity wax and lots of it to seal it up so it won't come back. Spooge it good now so it has time to creep into the seams and drip away before the car shipper gets all wound up about it dripping on something expensive parked below it.

Car shipper? Shocked

In 2012 you told me "why worry about a Ford AND a VW" when I wanted to tow my bus home 400 miles…

I'm sure Kent and Chloe will be good for 2,500 miles in a few months. I mean, he's only got three engines in his garage… Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Perhaps a light sanding and some primer /sealer?
Check with guys on the paint forum for some ideas.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
Colin always preaches that the water has to get out. That means making sure all your drain holes are present, clear and correct. I think. Living in LA I didnt pay much attention to that Laughing

I bet you're paying a bit more attention this winter, eh Tommu? Laughing
Palm Springs had its single highest one-day rainfall last month... 3.6". Chloe was safely inside the garage that day.
LA had some pretty good precipitation too.

Calvinator: I've been doing that on the exposed surfaces as I find them. But there's all those hidden or hard to reach crevices that concern me. I'm just glad the underside is pretty solid, and am hoping to keep it that way.

Thanks Busdaddy. I just watched a video on applying Waxoyl. It sounds like the best option.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

This California-born-n-raised boy is now an official Florida resident. Cool
Are there other bus/van fans in or near the Orlando area?

Unfortunately, Chloe is 2100 miles away in Palm Springs, waiting in a friend's garage til September. I missed her this past weekend when I went to Daytona Beach. She would have been perfect to use as a refuge during a brief but torrential downpour. Weather in this corner of the US is much different than the other corner.

The plan is to fly back in later September. Then she will have a newly rebuilt 1.8l engine installed and ready for a leisurely journey back to Florida. That trip will be the opposite of the 4-day cross country trip last week in a Penske truck and car hauler. Never wanna do that again.

Brian: Glad to see you finally found your own! So cool that you got Rich's, as it's been proven to be reliable and ready for adventures.
Go forth and conquer!

---WildIdea

WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I bet you miss your bus.

Sounds like it’s in good hands for now. Here’s to a great fresh start in your new home! There most def has to be a ton of airheads in Orlando to hang with.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
I bet you miss your bus.

Yup, missing her something fierce. The poor girl is stuck in a garage back in Palm Springs.

But, as usual, plans change quickly. An opportunity has come up to go back to Calif next week and install the newly rebuilt engine! The engine isn't quite ready but should be within a couple weeks.

Then once it's installed and broken in, I'm off on a road trip! But instead of taking that drive on I-10 directly from PS to Florida, I'm going a little bit circuitously...

* Up the Pac Coast Highway, stopping and camping for a few days along the way.
* Pop over to Bend OR to visit family for a couple days.
* On to Seattle to visit good friends of 30 years, and going on outings to islands, Olympic Natl Forest, and thereabouts. No room to pack scuba gear, so no diving though, I loved diving in the Puget Sound.
* Continue up to Anacortes to see a friend who's not doing too well.
* Ferry out to San Juan Island for a day or two.
* Head east to N Cascades Natl Park before subjecting myself to the heat of Central Washington.
* Then wander on to Couer d'Alene where I lived for a bit as a kid.
* Make it down to eventually follow WildIdea's trek from the Gorge to Montana, and probably down to S Dakota to see Mt Rushmore.
* From there, the route is pretty vague, although I'm wanting to stop and see Andrewtf, and Sven and Emma before their southern migration starts.
* After that, I'll be taking it one day at a time, finding interesting routs and stops to make along the way.

Okay, it's official now; I've committed myself to finally going on an adventure I've been wanting to do ever since I first got Chloe. I'm guessing it will be 3-5 weeks depending on how leisurely I take it.

There will be lots to do in preparing for the trip, which is why I'm heading to Palm Springs early. I want to put in a 2nd battery, get gauges connected, and a bunch of little things to make the trip more relaxing.

---WildIdea

Last edited by KentABQ on Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

What’s That Noise?!?
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Guess I better get some sheets washed.
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Hit me up if you need a stop over in Madison, WI.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

If you need anything when you come through Santa Cruz, hit me up.

I have a nice spot in the yard to camp with shop/shower etc..

What’s That Noise?!?
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Sounds epic! If you feel like it, hit me up when your close and I’ll take the day off or something, show ya around!
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 57

Jump to: