Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
That looks like a wonderful camp site.
I camped in Florida once, in July. It was raining. Rain fly on the tent with 90* weather and damn near equal humidity. One of the worst camping experiences in my books.

As far as BBB goes, Kent we’re going next year!

You're a brave man to attempt that in Florida in July.
Brave...or completely bat $#|¥ insane! Laughing

BBB2021! Already planning on it! Dancing

Xevin wrote:
Nice campout buddy. Don’t forget about these little guys Shocked

Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yeah, those things can ruin a good day. Luckily haven't seen any yet. d'oh!
And I don't feel the need to run across one. I lived almost 20 years in the desert without finding one, and that trend is good to continue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

[quote="KentPS"]
SamboSamba22 wrote:
I camped in Florida once, in July. It was raining. Rain fly on the tent with 90* weather and damn near equal humidity. One of the worst camping experiences in my books.

Five letters: woman.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]

Last edited by SamboSamba22 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I have a quick question for the Sambanistas...

Currently, I don't have the heat flapper valves or those accordian-like heater tubes connected to the heat exchangers.
So the air outlet openings on the front of the exchangers are open to the environment.

Would it be better to:
    Leave it this way,
    Put the flapper valves back on,
    Cap off the openings, or
    Add ducting to route the heat away from the front of the engine?

(Purists may say to put it back to original, but that's not an option. A PO mangled the cable routing and destroyed the brackets that hold the ends of the cables. Plus I now have the CCDH installed, which makes the original heating system unnecessary.)

Thanks again guys
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Kent,
My 2 cents (will be trumped by someone else's nickle though).

Keep the Heat exchangers and the connecting risers with a flapper. Use the type of flapper that can connect the dump tubes to. Add the dump tubes and block off the opening in the flapper mechanism that would go to the accordion tubes. Then remove the accordion tubes (sell them to pay for the new flappers) since you don't need them.

Seems a little bit cleaner, and you get rid of a couple more parts under there that you no longer need.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664428&highlight=dump+tube

maybe...............
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

BBB2021! Already planning on it! Dancing

Xevin wrote:
Nice campout buddy. Don’t forget about these little guys Shocked

Wink

Yeah, those things can ruin a good day. Luckily haven't seen any yet. d'oh!
And I don't feel the need to run across one. I lived almost 20 years in the desert without finding one, and that trend is good to continue.

I don’t Mind them on the ground but when they climb up the front, I don’t like windshield vipers.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

It's been a few days since my last stupid question was asked, so it's time for a new one. Laughing

Last summer, I drove Chloe from California (low altitude) thru Arizona, New Mexico (high altitude) and eventually landed in Florida. (And according to Google, the highest point in Florida's peninsula is 312' above sea level.)

While driving the newly rebuilt fuel-injected engine thru all these states, I would have a tough time starting the engine in the mornings when I was at higher elevations like 4-6,000'. It would sometimes take 20 cranks before it would catch and start. And it would barely maintain enough rpm's for a few seconds before idling correctly. Temps were moderate during that time of year so I don't believe that was a factor, as I don't currently have the cold start valve installed. And starting the engine at low elevation is just a quick turn of the key.

So all that preamble brings me to my stupid question du jour...
    What can I do to get my engine to start correctly when I move to Albuquerque (5,000'+ elevation) in the spring?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

You can flip your high elevation switch on your ECU to “ Rocky Mountain High”

Seriously, the AFM meters mass so I don’t think it is as profound a change as with carbs, but you lose power of, Course, with less O2 to burn.

For cold start, it might be a perfect time to hook that manual adjustment pot you always wanted
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
For cold start, it might be a perfect time to hook that manual adjustment pot you always wanted

Funny you should mention that, abs...

Yesterday when I was backing out of my driveway onto a fairly busy residential street, the engine died and wouldn't restart. Cranked but didn't catch.
So I was sitting diagonally on a busy street with cars going around me almost constantly. For some reason, I decided to ground the TS2 wire. And waaah-laaah.... it started right up.

So yet another TS2 sensor has bitten the dust. That makes about 6 in the past three years. So I'm seriously considering reattaching the pot and using that instead. It's much more reliable.

Does anyone else have bad luck with TS2's?
I've tried used ones from swap meets, new ones sold thru VW sites, and even the Piaggio scooter sensor that Robbie suggested. None have been reliable.

......End ranting here...

Next fun projects for Chloe:
    Replace the carpet I installed this summer with vinyl plank flooring
    Replace the Taco Bell-looking bench upholstery with Sunbrella
    Replace the old water tank with a new one, and install a new pump and faucet
    Install the CSV
    Replace the AAR

I've also purchased a MIG welder and am learning how to use it. I've gotten really good at poking holes in sheet metal with it. So need to work on the settings and technique a bit. Once I figure that out, it would be nice to have a solid floor under the cab.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

I've also purchased a MIG welder and am learning how to use it. I've gotten really good at poking holes in sheet metal with it. So need to work on the settings and technique a bit. Once I figure that out, it would be nice to have a solid floor under the cab.

Nice, flux core or with a gas bottle?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Just the flux core. If I do anything major, then I may spring for the gas option.
But for now, there's just some small fixes to do.

---WildIdea

tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

So yet another TS2 sensor has bitten the dust. That makes about 6 in the past three years. So I'm seriously considering reattaching the pot and using that instead. It's much more reliable.

Does anyone else have bad luck with TS2's?
I've tried used ones from swap meets, new ones sold thru VW sites, and even the Piaggio scooter sensor that Robbie suggested. None have been reliable.

Weird you have this problem. I haven't had to replace one since I bought my Bus. Do they test bad with a multimeter too?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Yes. When I test them, they have infinite ohms.
The frustrating part is getting the freakin' thing out...
It took me about a half hour yesterday, due to its location and interference with other parts. Sad

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Quick question regarding CSV's...

A couple years ago, I had all 5 injectors worked on by WitchHunter. However, I never installed the CSV, so it has sat for two years. Somewhere in The Samba I read the injectors need to have something done to them if they've been reworked and not used within a few weeks.

So my big question is...
What do I need to do to this CSV if I want to install it?

Thanks...

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

The sink in Chloe has been pretty useless ever since I've owned her. The pump was missing, the water tank was cracked, and the faucet was corroded.
So while camping, I would haul a 5-gallon bottle, wedge it in the sink, and use an eBay plastic pump in order to get water for drinking and cleaning.
But NO MORE!!!! ... Speak to the hand

She now has a new, clean, easily refillable water tank, new water lines, a filter, new working pump and faucet. The pump is designed to turn off once it hits a certain pressure, but I didn't want the lines to be under constant pressure. So the pump is connected from the auxiliary battery thru a fuse to a press-for-on button.

It also freed up room under the sink for storage. The pump and water jug were about $40 from Amazon, and I had all the other components, so it is not only very functional, but reasonably priced. Between having running water and a working heater, it's going to make camping a little easier.

I'm hoping to take a drive down to the Keys in a few weeks. Dancing

---WildIdea

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Very Happy keep it up and you will be accused of "Glamping" Not the look the hard core is looking for- Very Happy Very Happy Some how your alert got turned off and I missed all your adventures-- be sure and see the "Atosia" treasure exhibit. Been years since I was there, so hope they haven't moved it. Let me know when you get to NM and I'll pencil in a visit--

PS might add a ground wire from the TS2 head to the control. Just a guess.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

The following problem has been solved... Very Happy
KentPS wrote:
I am in need of expert Sambanista advice.

Chloe's engine ran great for the first 3000 miles or so after the rebuild, and still runs well, sort of. She starts, idles and drives at low speeds like normal. But when cruising at 35 mph and higher, she will have an occasional slight bucking/hesitation until I let off the gas a little bit. Most of the time, she will accelerate without that hesitation, but occasionally will buck then too. (I still love the acceleration of this 1800cc engine as compared to the 1700.)

Here's what I've checked:
    Vacuum leaks with smoke generator... None found
    TSII... Always my nemesis, but tested normal
    Timing... 32* at high revs, about 5-6 BTDC at idle
    (It idles high, due to a faulty AAR I need to replace. If I set idle at 1000, it take a feather footing for a couple minutes at start up to keep it from dying)
    Dwell... 40*
    EEC diaphragm doesn't leak

What am I missing?
Fuel delivery? Tank checked out clean when I had it out 2 years ago. Filter is replaced every 3000 miles, when I check valves and change oil.
(Hmmmm... I haven't checked fuel pressure yet. That will be my next move. Idea )

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else to check? Thanks guys

It turned out the TS2 was failing, but would test correctly when the engine was cold. It now reads infinite ohms, so it's died completely.

However, adjusting the dwell as Robbie suggested helped some.
And a small vacuum leak was discovered too.

So the solution was a long time in coming, but the engine sure runs great again.
Replacing the TS2, adjusting the dwell, and fixing the minor vacuum leak has her running like a top again.

Now I can't wait to head to Key West. Cool

---WildIdea

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

That’s one fancy tap you put on the sink Wink looking good buddy.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Woo hooooo!!!

Just returned from a four-day jaunt down to the Florida Keys. Dancing

Wow, is that an amazing locale. White sand beaches on both sides of each of the keys, created by millions of years of coral, with the Atlantic Ocean on one side and the Gulf of Mexico on the other. In many places, you can see both bodies of water.

Mural in Florida City:

(Chloe is blocking the "City" part of the mural.)

Lots of funky touristy things to see all along the way, but we didn't stop for most of them. We did, however, stop for lunch at Robbie's in Islamorada, for no ther reason than the name. It's worth the stop just to see the funky trinket shops surrounding the marina. And the food turned out to be pretty decent, while sitting out on the water.

I found a campground just off of Key West... at $90/night. Shocked
But that's a whole lot cheaper than finding a hotel room on KW itself. Too bad it was spring break for some colleges, as frat boys were up past 2 partying all over. Evil or Very Mad Oh well, I got my revenge at 6am when I repeatedly opened and closed the slider to access various necessary cooking equipment. Laughing

There were empty camp sites on the water, but they had been reserved, so we got to camp surrounded by huge motor homes. I wonder what they thought of my old Chloe nestled among them.

It was a great time touring Key West for a day, and decided to spend the second day mostly at Fort Taylor State Beach. Florida has great state parks that are well maintained and professionally staffed. Kudos to Florida for that.

There aren't many van/bus pics on KW since most places require a walk to get to. But did see a Westy with the traditional Key West chickens around it...

On the trip home yesterday, we stopped off at Islamorada at a touristy trinket place...

(The best part was the giant exhibit outside.)

Then a stop on Key Largo at another state park...

...with numerous warning signs for crocodiles. Didn't see any there, though.
So why not hang out...

The good news is Chloe ran very well with no issues for the 600+ mile trip.
She ran strong with her new engine, and the CHT guage never went above 330F.

This was a nice final visit to one of Florida's landmarks before leaving for the Southwest. I will miss the lushness of Florida.

---WildIdea

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Neat! Thanks for sharing, Kent. I have a bunch of thoughts about Floriduh and most are not very appreciative, but I have never been there. I guess it's akin to someone who has never been to California telling me their pre-conceived notions. Great to hear the state parks are well-managed!

Crocadilians... crocodile... crocs eat cocks?

Did the rooster get swallowed up by a crocodile?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Neat! Thanks for sharing, Kent. I have a bunch of thoughts about Floriduh and most are not very appreciative, but I have never been there. I guess it's akin to someone who has never been to California telling me their pre-conceived notions. Great to hear the state parks are well-managed!

Crocadilians... crocodile... crocs eat cocks?

Did the rooster get swallowed up by a crocodile?

Hiya WY!
Rest assured, I have found many of the preconceived visions of Florida to have some merit. Moving here from CA was a big eye opener. Being from a liberal state and getting plunked down among Big Orange Cheetoh supporters is mind blowing. Living here has even driven me to eating meat again!!! Shocked

Luckily for the cocks, the crocs reside in a different environment.

I wish I had taken a pic of the iguana that fell out of a tree in front of us while walking along the sidewalk in Key West. It was maybe a foot long from nose to tail, and appeared stunned (either from the drop or from being surrounded by Californians. Laughing )

---WildIdea

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 57

Jump to: