Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

This is truly a special platform for friend and knowledge. I’m grateful everyday.
Especially when my “I don’t know” posts are answers by these retired wizards in short time Laughing

Invention is the tool of the adventurer - Jacques Cousteau
Sinning led me to become a saint, which I then learned I wasn't qualified. -S.H.B.

1959 Dove Blue Single Cab - SOLD (undergoing complete restoration)
1965 Ruby Red Standard Beetle - SOLD (currently loved in Oklahoma)
Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Doka) 1835, Weber 40 IDF’s
1974 Brilliant Orange Westfalia “PushPop" The bus that started it all - SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentPS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Celebrating two momentous occasions:
    3 years (almost) since joining The Samba
    This is my 1700th post!

In honor of the occasion, I've renewed my membership with The Samba.
Best investment in Chloe I have ever made. Dancing

1976 Riviera, my 1.8l FI chrome yellow VAN - "Chloe"

My top favorite Samba quote:
Quote:
"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. Its.... like driving a celebration!" -WildIdea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Very Happy I've got 2 welders- so If you get here before I get round to selling them- Sure John could show you how to set them up. Shocked

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentPS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Hiya BillM Very Happy
While reading your post, I realized going to BBB in the future will be possible once I move to NM. Dancing
Get Blue ready for BBB 2021!!!

Yeah, ran into a lot...a LOT...of rain as soon as I entered Florida. So I got to test the door and window seals pretty thoroughly. All except two seals have been replaced, and they were the only two to leak. I felt pretty good about that.
However, the cab floor needs replacing, as a bit of water splashed up in the passenger side. I have the green metal to do it, but not the equipment or skills to do the work yet. It's on the long, long "to-do" list... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. Its.... like driving a celebration!" -WildIdea
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Shocked a left turn at --where-- Smile Smile

Shocked Shocked one of 2 people driving into a hurricane Shocked Shocked How are your door seals????

Don't step in any!
KentPS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Glad you made it back safely. Albuquerque you say?

Lol!

Those old clips were going thru my mind while heading there, since it was my first time there.
And then I DID make a left turn at Albequerque to get to Santa Fe. Dancing

Quote:
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Glad you made it back safely. Albuquerque you say?

Link

KentPS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

WHEW!

I got home last night from the trip.
It lasted 15 days, and covered 3236 miles. Got about 16 mpg, which probably isn't too bad for a newly rebuilt engine. Lots of those miles were going 65-70 on interstates, although I did get off the interstates to trek down Route 66 and various back country roads whenever possible. Used about 4 quarts of oil, partly due to a small leak somewhere.

Got to see the Grand Canyon without being towed out of it this time. Very Happy

Spent two days each in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Liked Santa Fe, but loved Albuquerque, and that may be my next residence, since Orlando isn't working out as I had hoped.

Visited Oklahoma, but didn't get many pictures. It had beautiful rolling hills and vistas which were difficult to capture in a little picture.

Spent the night by a beautiful River in SE Oklahoma that was very memorable, and loved the experience as much as the Grand Canyon.

Then went on to New Orleans...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...and stayed one block off of Bourbon Street. Dancing In a hotel this time since camping spots in NO are pretty rare. Lol! Spent two days and nights there, and had a great time with some friends. Didn't get too drunk either night.

Driving from Tallahassee to Orlando yesterday saw the first rains of the entire trip. I really lucked out with beautiful weather most of the time. Some days were a bit hot, and a couple evenings were a bit cool, but it was better than I could have expected for the second half of August in the south and SW.

Does it feel good to be home after being away for over 7 weeks?
...Well, I'll let you know after Dorian does his best/worst.

Quote:
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
New Orleans for the weekend! Meeting friends there and staying in the French Quarters.

Don't get into too much trouble out there Wink
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentPS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Yup, she's doing very well. For some reason, the oil pressure was a little low right after the rebuild. But after a few hundred miles, it's about right. So I feel the rebuild has proven itself now that it's about 1000 miles into the trip. The engine runs along very smoothly at 70mph, with CHTs that run between 310 and 340 depending on air temp. Even climbing hills, the temp rarely hits 350.

My plan yesterday was to head into Arkansas and camp at a beautiful site that Sambosamba22 recommended, Petit Jean State Park. But a storm was threatening to dump all afternoon and morning, so I dcided to head south instead. And, boy, I'm glad I did. I stumbled upon Beavers Bend State Park in SE Oklahoma, and scored a great spot by the river...

....so I had to celebrate with a beer. (Since lots of beer is being consumed during this journey, this time it was Michelob Ultra.). That river pic was taken this morning as the sun was coming up. There were about 10 sites along the river, and there were only two other spots being occupied. It was almost unreal how beautiful it was to be able to camp there.

Next on the itinerary:
New Orleans for the weekend! Meeting friends there and staying in the French Quarters.

Quote:
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Very Happy Looks like Chleo has proven her self worthy-- Love the big spider and spare tire cover.

Don't step in any!
KentPS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It continues to be a fun journey. The cold start issue has somehow resolved itself, possibly by being in lower altitudes.

Santa Fe was cool to visit, since it was my first time. I was invited to MeowWolf, which I can't begin to describe what it is even after spending two hours there. But it did have some interesting outdoor art work...

And found a campsite a few miles outside of Santa Fe to spend a relaxing night...

Arizona and New Mexico are amazingly beautiful states. I feel lucky to have spent a few days slowly making my way across these states. Lots of detours to follow Route 66, and even made it along the Santa Fe Trail.

Yesterday afternoon I made it into western Oklahoma...

...and heading to Oklahoma City this afternoon to visit family.

Quote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Look who finally got his dues all paid up! Very Happy Very Happy

Nice to see a guy go the distance;
Congrats.

What's That Noise??
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Two guess where this pic was taken...

HOtel California?? Did I win?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Being in Santa Fe which is up there in altitude and not having a cold start injector May be your problem.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Good to see you’re rolling Kent. Enjoy the journey. Take as long as you can Wink
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I was just wondering if you would stand on the corner when you mentioned Winslow. I bet Jackson never tires of that......Especially when ASCAP quarterlies hit his direct deposit. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
KentPS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Thanks guys. This is a trip I've been dreaming of doing since long before getting Chloe.
So taking my [email protected]$$ time in making my way to Florida is very okay with me. Very Happy That's why it's taken a week to get from Palm Springs CA to Santa Fe NM.

Two guess where this pic was taken...

And a couple pics from quirky Albuquerque...

Next stop will be a campground outside of Santa Fe for one night. Then head to Oklahome to visit distant family members. From there, it would be fun to check out western Arkansas before heading to New Orkeans.

As always, though, this trip is very fluid and may change at any moment.

----
Technical stuff:
The engine is running strong and sounds great. I usually have trouble staritng her in the morning for some reason. This morning it took about 10 minutes and numerous cranks before she caught and started. Robbie suggested checking the dwell, since the points are about 1000 miles old. I checked, and it's right around 50*. Shoulda checked the timing too. Damn. Since the engine is newly rebuilt, I'm going to check the valves again in the morning, as well as the timing.

Quote:
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

safe travels-- Just back from silly als- I need a nap-- contact us if coming back this way-

Don't step in any!
andrewtf Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Happy to see you mobile again.

And nice to see ** cough cough** that we are still right on your way back to Orlando.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 47

Jump to: