Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Bummed I missed B&B this year. I got really sick the week before and missed a few days of work and my wife needed help with her business that Saturday. I did negotiate the time away to go to BBB in Havasu again for helping her. Dancing

Hoping to make it next year.

Yeah, that sucks. I was looking for you. Glad you're feeling better.

You missed a good turnout. Lots of good people and plenty of balloons this year.
And we had prime location for the ecljpse.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Bummed I missed B&B this year. I got really sick the week before and missed a few days of work and my wife needed help with her business that Saturday. I did negotiate the time away to go to BBB in Havasu again for helping her. Dancing

Hoping to make it next year.
’65 Deluxe Build
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Awesome Applause Applause

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
KentABQ wrote:
Buses & Balloons 2023

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That was you right across the road from us!!! We were in the white Eurovan with the two dogs. Sorry I didn't recognize you and/or your bus.

Yeah, sorry I didn’t recognize you either, Larry.
Friends from Taos were going to join us but ended up having car trouble on the way. So we left early on Saturday.

Is it too early to discuss Buses by the Bridge 2024? Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
Buses & Balloons 2023

That was you right across the road from us!!! We were in the white Eurovan with the two dogs. Sorry I didn't recognize you and/or your bus.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Halloween 2023

It's almost more fun for us than it is for all the neighborhood kids.

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Buses & Balloons 2023

---WildIdea

dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

i usually avoid formal campsites, but, when i do camp at one i look for #47’s.

great trip, thanks, kent.

dt
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Wow!
This past weekend's camping trip is one I will remember for a long time!

About a month ago, we camped at a beautiful site northwest of Santa Fe called Jemez Falls. We had a nice time, but were inundated with screaming kids and loud generators.
While walking around the grounds though, we noticed campsite that was at the end of a loop with no other campsites within view. It was #47.

It just happens that we have friends in Taos with a Westy who we've been trying to camp with all spring and summer, but work or fam family responsibilities got in the way.

But as luck would have it, I checked the availability of site #47 a couple weeks ago, and it had just become available! So I booked it for.this.past weekend before anyone else did. And it happened to be the last site available that weekend.

I sent a text to my friends about it, and amazingly enough they were free that weekend too!

We met up Friday afternoon, set up camp and then set on libations!

We planned on sharing meals, which our friends prepared delicious lasagna cooked in a Dutch oven over the campfire, along with artichokes cooked over the fire, and a great veggy salad. It was pitch dark when we finished eating, and sat around the fire with our bellies hanging out.

It felt like we were camping in the middle of the forest, with no one around and only the sounds of birds, cicadas and tress rustling in the slight breeze

Saturday turned into one of those perfect days you dream about when you're camping. High temps in the upper 70s, perfect for a little hiking, a little hanging out in the hammock reading and a lot of sitting around catching up on each others goings-ons.

Dinner consisted of NY steaks cooked over the fire, grilled veggies and roasted potatoes.
For dessert, our friends made an updated version of smores.... made with graham crackers, Reese's peanut butter cups and sliced bananas! Delicious!

Lows were in the 50s which made for a pleasant sleep so we slept in Sunday before having buckwheat pancakes and bacon. Full stomachs make it difficult to tear down camp, so we waited until almost checkout time before leaving.

Camping is always good. But sharing it with good friends is even better!

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

The last couple camping trips were not pleasant.
And the last one had to be aborted an hour into the journey due to an engine problem.
So we have been reluctant to press our luck.

However there is an area about 90 minutes north of Albuquerque that we’ve wanted to explore before moving out of state.
That area is called Jemez Falls in the Carson National Forest.

The weekend turned out better than planned. Chloe ran strong going up the mountain roads, and the weather couldn’t have been better.
I wanted to try the new side tent I got for my birthday. It was designed to fit over the open rear hatch of an SUV but it functioned decently for this purpose. I will need to alter some of it to snug up better to the sliding door though.

We made Firepit Nachos for dinner Sunday night and they were great. I just had to put tortilla chips on a large piece of aluminum foil, add cheese, black beans, chicken, jalapeños, and green salsa and heat it over the fire. The chicken was made ahead of time so it was an easy dinner that went well with our Santa Fe Brewing Company beer.

The hiking trails were amazing heading to and around the falls, although I gave Jimmy a mild coronary when I almost slipped off a rocky ledge overlooking the falls.
With the snowfall from this past winter, the river was full and produced amazing sites all along the trails.
I’m very glad we were able to make the trip before moving.

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Fiberglass work?

OOooooo Emma's favorite.

I'm sure it's everyone's favorite. Laughing

When are the Original Emma and Sven coming back?
I haven't seen them since the day before they first entered Mexico.

---WildIdea

andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Fiberglass work?

OOooooo Emma's favorite.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

A couple years ago, someone dropped something heavy on the fiberglass roof while I was working. Twisted Evil

So being the cheap sob I can be at times, I covered it with white duct tape to keep the water out and make it look better.

Fast forward (slowly) two years, and I am now retired with a bunch of free time on my hands. Thanks to YouTube and a vague memory of doing a fiberglass repair in the ‘90s, it has now successfully been repaired…

I’m glad that’s fixed.
Now on to the ever-growing list of things that need fixed on Chloe…

---WildIdea

Last edited by KentABQ on Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I’m 53 and it has occurred to me in the last year or so that I won’t be able to work on a bus forever. I have thought about someday getting an RV.

I love camping in my bus, mostly because it makes life simple for awhile. My parents had an RV when I was a kid. It was a lot of work and my mother says it was just the same shit in a smaller space. On longer trips, I break up camping with motels; hot shower, AC, takeout and shitty cable.

As for aging, working on a bus is a lot better than yoga. Crawling under, over and all over that thing has probably kept me from becoming a fat recliner rider so far. Sometimes I walk away from it when it gets frustrating, but I always come back to it. If one day I don’t, I know it will be time to move on. More than likely, I will be found dead under that bus when the neighbors notice the smell.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Good move. Unless it is financially impossible or absolutely necessary, why sell? I'm in your spot, but got over the urge. Bought a E150 ford van this year, mostly for towing and longer excursions. But guess what?... now that I have put a swivel seat, bed, and sink cabinet in it has no more/ less available space than the Bus.
It's a completely different beast for certain and serves it's purpose. But.... it doesn't make people smile,wave,point or laugh, and when I'm driving the Bus I like to do all those things too.
For us older guys, remember this.... if you're over 65, face it.... you've got no time left to deny yourself small (and large!) pleasures in life. In 10 years will you be running at the same pace? I spent some time and money on my Bus and it's running like a burnt cat! So that's for joyriding and day trips, while the 2009 is for long hauls.

"Imagine all the fun you'll have in your old rocking chair" ,enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

WHEW

Quote:
And, yes, Andrew... I feel confident our paths will cross sometime in the future.
BBB2024 maybe? If so, maybe we can convince Sven and Emma to join in the festivities...

BBB2024 might be a stretch....
The next solar eclipse epicenter is about 20 miles from my house... so.....
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Wise decision! You will not regret. Been there. Bob
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

yay. cooler heads have prevailed.

one fewer sprinter is a good thing.

but, don’t worry..

open that marvel-of-german-engineering sliding door, and you have all of the space in the world.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
I never thought I'd be saying this...

But I've decided it's time to sell Chloe. Shocked

Well, it's time to take back that statement.

I have been outvoted by my spouse and my dog.
Jimmy loves camping in the Riviera as much as I do.
And the dog loves not only riding in Chloe, but she will race out the garage door and leap thru the open sliding door and hang out there for hours at a time.

So who am I to spoil the fun?
Chloe will remain in our family after all. Very Happy

And, yes, Andrew... I feel confident our paths will cross sometime in the future.
BBB2024 maybe? If so, maybe we can convince Sven and Emma to join in the festivities...

---WildIdea

andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Say it aint so!!

Our bus ownership has so many parallels, that we may qualify for a Black Mirror episode....... well, almost. We share many of the same bus headaches, joys, frustrations, and adventures.

Chloe has a couple Murphy parts, and Murphy has a couple of Chloe parts. And many of the same hands have toiled over both and those people have become our friends. Bus ownership has given us both many exuberant moments.

Most importantly to me, you took care of my most precious person in a time of need. That shows the measure of a person. Thank you for that.

We will meet up one day........
You can take the wheel of Murphy for a bit then if you want to feel that bus feeling again, and that honor is reserved for a very, very, very select few.

Don't be a Samba stranger
andreWTF
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 57

Jump to: