Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Van/Bus fever Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
I did a headliner on my split when I lived in Mt Shasta when as the paint was drying - the dog walked across it leaving a perfect set of prints. Looked great so I installed the liner as is.
Next time Laurene got in she said " How did you get the dog to do that?"

Not one to miss an opportunity- I said "I held her upside down and forced her to walk across it" well it was fun at the time, but I paid for that remark.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Yeah, I can see you doing that, Bill.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

How's Blue coming along?
Buses and Balloons 2021 is scheduled for Oct 7-10 here in Albuquerque...
Git 'er going and git 'er over here! Very Happy

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Man, New Mexico is filled with beautiful rock formations. It's been a blast discovering them.

Yesterday we drove to Diablo Canyon Recreation Area which is on the north end of Santa Fe National Forest, northwest of Santa Fe...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's a 6 mile hike thru Diablo Canyon, but the best scenery is at the beginning.
All along the cliff face were dozens of rock climbers.
Best part is it's on BLM land and has a few free camp sites. It will be fun to go back in the spring.

Diablo Canyon is off the road about 8 miles, on a dirt road that resembles more of a washboard. Poor Chloe rattled and shook pretty badly both ways, but she held together. I was concerned, though, that the icebox cabinet I built and installed was going to come loose and bounce around the back. It managed to hold together somehow.

Chloe continues to run great! As with most 45+ year old vehicles, there are some things that need to be worked on, but at this point she is running so well I don't want to jinx her by doing anything other than regular maintenance. It's almost time to swap the winter oil out for summer oil and do valve adjustment.

Next weekend, if weather cooperates, we're off to go camping at El Morro National Monument, about two hours west of Albuquerque.
It's been too long between camping trips, and it's time to get back into it.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Watch out for scorpions!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:

Next weekend, if weather cooperates, we're off to go camping at El Morro National Monument, about two hours west of Albuquerque.
It's been too long between camping trips, and it's time to get back into it.

Weather is supposed to be very nice the coming weeks up here as well, we are supposed to get our Riviera back from the shop soon and I can wait to get it back out for adventures.

All of our VW events up here have been postponed until further notice however, hoping they reschedule some of them!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Clementine79 wrote:
Weather is supposed to be very nice the coming weeks up here as well, we are supposed to get our Riviera back from the shop soon and I can wait to get it back out for adventures.

All of our VW events up here have been postponed until further notice however, hoping they reschedule some of them!

Very nice! The Pacific Northwest is amazing in the spring time.
So I hope you are able to get out and enjoy it this year.

The VW events around here are slowly being reinstated.
Buses and Balloons 2021 is planned for this coming October.
And the last I heard, Buses by the Bridge 2022 will be in January.

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

It's time for a Spring upgrade...

Andante: [änˈdänˌtā]
Adverb: in a moderately slow tempo.

I figured that word suits Chloe to a tee.

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Springtime!

Time to get Chloe up and running for the upcoming camping season!

Robbie was here last week and helped teach me how to repack wheel bearings, and get that danged sticky sliding door to operate correctly. I can finally open the sliding door with one hand.

Robbie's visit was very timely, too, since the starter decided it was time to give up the ghost. Now it takes just a short turn of the key to get it started. I didn't realize how bad the old one was getting.

And last week, I stopped by to see Whip618 (Phil) and catch up with him. He volunteered to take my throttle body (which was rebuilt by him last year) and check to see how it was doing. It turned out to be in like-new condition, although he did some upgrades to it, and is working great.

And this past weekend was a great, spontaneous VW GeekFest in Taos!
Friends there recently got their Westy back after six months in the body shop. The results were great, and a great excuse to reconnect with friends and play with our VW toys.

Here are some pics.... Bet you recognize a few of them...

---WildIdea

WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Nice update and great pictures!! Looks like your poised to have a sweet season! Carry on!
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

A problem just arose recently with my oil pressure.

Prior to this incident, the oil pressure was just about spot-on... around 10psi at idle and 35psi at highway speeds.

But last weekend, while idling, the oil pressure would show around 20-40 PSI, but once I start driving and the engine gets above 2000RPM, the oil pressure gauge pegs to the high side, which is above 80PSI.

Thinking the problem was a stuck oil pressure relief piston, I removed the slotted plug holding in the spring and piston. To my surprise, the piston popped right out.

However, there seems to be a lot of scratching on the piston...

I don't remember the scratches being there a couple summers ago when I was disassembling the engine.

(FYI: This was a 1700cc CB engine that was rebuilt as 1800cc almost two years ago. And the only work performed on the engine within the past two months was an oil change and valves checked.)

What is the opinion of the Sambanistas?

Question Can a scratched oil pressure relief piston cause very high oil pressure? Question

If so, are replacement pistons available?
If not, where should I check next?

Thanks a million, guys....

---WildIdea

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I think you probably would have noticed it before.

I would think that debris could cause to hang up and cause the pressure to be low or high depending on what position it was in when it hung up. You can buy them used in good condition, I’m not sure about new.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I think you probably would have noticed it before.

I hadn't thought of that. But it occurred suddenly.

orwell84 wrote:
I would think that debris could cause to hang up and cause the pressure to be low or high depending on what position it was in when it hung up. You can buy them used in good condition, I’m not sure about new.

Searching The Samba, it appears it's been years since new ones have been available.
And nothing shows up in the classifieds.
Any suggestions where I can find a decent used one?

---WildIdea

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I mean I think you would have noticed it being scratched when you looked at it during tear down.

I think mine came from bus depot
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
A problem just arose recently with my oil pressure.

Prior to this incident, the oil pressure was just about spot-on... around 10psi at idle and 35psi at highway speeds.

But last weekend, while idling, the oil pressure would show around 20-40 PSI, but once I start driving and the engine gets above 2000RPM, the oil pressure gauge pegs to the high side, which is above 80PSI.

Thinking the problem was a stuck oil pressure relief piston, I removed the slotted plug holding in the spring and piston. To my surprise, the piston popped right out.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Found the problem... the wire connection at the sending unit had come loose.
So it was a 5 minute fix, after a couple weeks of fretting about it and the problem it could have caused to my recently rebuilt engine.

When this first happened, I asked Robbie for suggestions. He said to check the pressure relief piston or check the wiring. I checked the piston, but failed to check the wiring, believing it wasn't the problem. Proved me wrong! Always trust the experts.

Thanks to everyone's input! And thanks to Hazetguy for finding me a NOS relief piston. I'm still going to install it when I get it, since the old one is well worn.

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Dayum, I love the amazing rock formations found all around New Mexico!
Today, we went to El Malpais National Monument.
Beautiful sandstone bluffs and lava fields, although I couldn't get Chloe into some of the best pictures...

And here is a picture of me with my new husband of three weeks.
Meet the two Mr. KentABQs....

We honeymooned in southern Colorado and had a fantastic time seeing the amazing geography.
But we drove the Honda. Chloe felt abandoned, I'm sure.

---WildIdea

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Hey, 4CORE is at the end of next month, 7/30-8/1. Looks like it’s gonna be about 8 buses this year. We’ll be starting in Durango, go thru Telluride and end up just west of Ridgeway. That is the end of the official event, but at least 3 of us will be continuing on. We will be heading up to Owl Creek Pass for a night, then down to Lake City for a night, then Wolf Creek Pass for a night and we will he ending up at Tico Time Resort for the Jam Festival the following weekend. There will be a bus camp at Tico Time, I bet around 50-75 buses will be in attendance. PM me if you’re interested in attending at any point.

Here’s the link to Jam Fest.
https://ticotimeresort.com/four-corners-jam-festival/
’65 Deluxe Build
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Glad you are rolling again. It should have clicked for me about your gauge. They always peg off the scale when there is a short.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Hiya Rich.
I had wanted to go to the Jam Festival, but we'll be moving into our new house around that time. It would have been fun going on a road trip with everyone.
Hope you take and post lots of pictures.

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Jimmy and I have friends who are moving away from Albuquerque next month, so we wanted to have a weekend outing with them before they go.

They found a site near Taos NM that uses old '50's and '60's travel trailers as their motel rooms. It's called Hotel Luna Mystica, and is a very cool place.

In addition to about 25 travel trailers, they have a huge area set aside for RVs and camping. Three friends rented two of the trailers, and Chloe was parked all by her lonesome about 100 yards away...

It was about as perfect a weekend as you could want... good friends, beautiful location, cold beverages, plentiful food, and fireworks.

---WildIdea

ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:

And here is a picture of me with my new husband of three weeks.
Meet the two Mr. KentABQs....

We honeymooned in southern Colorado and had a fantastic time seeing the amazing geography.
But we drove the Honda. Chloe felt abandoned, I'm sure.

Dunno how missed this but congrats!
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Thanks ImAddicted!

It's been 5 weeks, and gets better every day.
It only took me 45 years to find the right one. Very Happy

---WildIdea

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 53 of 57

Jump to: