Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Thinking about getting my popcorn ready for the big show.

I hope you ate the popcorn fast... I only appeared a half dozen times for a second or two at a time. Lol!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I 'know' I saw you once....... working on a cabinet.

I'll be re-watching soon.

Disappointed we didn't catch a glimpse of Chloe though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Since temps in the desert are starting to come down a bit, it's time Chloe came out of summer hibernation, and a few projects completed on her.
She's now residing in my garage again, and it's good to have her back. Dancing

First on the list of projects: A namesake...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

She now proudly wears her Riviera name on front and back!

(And, yes, it would be a good idea to replace that severely petrified windshield seal. But it's going to wait until I have the skill to address any nastiness that may be hiding underneath.)

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I get what you're saying Kent. We are now enjoying some beautiful weather in the early mornings here in Phoenix. I just got back from a 30 mile freeway lap in my 70' to blow the cobwebs off and gets it's juices going again.

Ironic how the SW folks VW's come out of the garages in the winter and the NE folks put there's away. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Ironic how the SW folks VW's come out of the garages in the winter and the NE folks put there's away. Very Happy

And we get 8 months of beautiful weather to enjoy our toys! Cool

Robbie sent me a text last night asking if the weather had cooled down yet. (I'm looking forward to his next visit to help get some of the kinks worked out of Chloe.). When I told him we're having beautiful days with highs only hitting 105, though... he said he'd see me in October. Lol!
Those coastal wimps... Rolling Eyes

---WildIdea

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Logos look saweeet!!!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Thanks Sam. It kind of finishes off the look of the top. And answers people's question about "what kind is it?". I found the stickers on eBay, in case anyone is interested.

There's been a little irritating issue I've been dealing with since owning Chloe. The stick shift hits the e-brake handle when in 3rd gear...

Chloe has a drivetrain pulled from a '73, but the nose cone on the transmission is original to the van, according to Robbie. So the longer nose cone is pushing the linkage forward, and causing the stick to hit the e-brake handle.

The simple answer to me is to remove the stick and bent it a few degrees back. But before I do, I need to know how far to bend it. Should the stick be 4" away from the e-brake? Do anyone have a rough idea?
As always, thanks for the input.

---WildIdea

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Thanks Sam. It kind of finishes off the look of the top. And answers people's question about "what kind is it?". I found the stickers on eBay, in case anyone is interested.

There's been a little irritating issue I've been dealing with since owning Chloe. The stick shift hits the e-brake handle when in 3rd gear...

Chloe has a drivetrain pulled from a '73, but the nose cone on the transmission is original to the van, according to Robbie. So the longer nose cone is pushing the linkage forward, and causing the stick to hit the e-brake handle.

The simple answer to me is to remove the stick and bent it a few degrees back. But before I do, I need to know how far to bend it. Should the stick be 4" away from the e-brake? Do anyone have a rough idea?
As always, thanks for the input.

Whoa! Great info, dad's bus is dealing with the same scenario and I can't figure it out. Wrong transmission nose?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Whoa! Great info, dad's bus is dealing with the same scenario and I can't figure it out. Wrong transmission nose?

Well, I don't know the reason a PO decided to leave the original nose cone and use the rest of the 73 drive train. So I can't answer whether it's wrong or not. It seems to work fine.... just makes shifting a knuckle bruising experience if you're not paying attention.

I've been trying to decide between getting the correct nose cone for the transmission vs bending the stick shift a little more than it already is. And since I'm a Keep-It-Simple-Stupid type person, I am leaning toward the bending option. Maybe I'll take it off, bend it a couple degrees, reinstall it and see how it feels. I just have to make sure reverse doesn't end up somewhere under the drivers seat! Laughing

The fix for your father's bus may be just a simple adjustment of the plate under the shifter. I think if you relocate the plate forward, it pushes the stick shift knob back. I'm going from memory, as I watched Robbie do it on Chloe a few months ago.

---WildIdea

rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Hi. I believe you should R&R the shifter from the floor and see how centered the cup of the forward shift rod is within the rectangular floor opening. You could do your mods, if any, to the shift rod where the coupling is, to center the shift rod.
For what it's worth my DD '71 has the dimension of the shift knob to the hand brake handle of 4"-5" in 3rd gear and 7" in neutral.
You may find out the previous owner performed a "hack" job in the shift rod front coupler area.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Thanks for the dimensions, Rocker. I should have mentioned that Robbie adjusted it as best he could. That's how he discovered the nose cone was for a different transmission.

Here is a pic of it when the drive train was out...

Of course, it looks muuuuuch better now that it's been cleaned and reinstalled.

---WildIdea

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

The nose cone is shorter pulling the bottom of the shifter back and pushing the top of the shifter forward.
You need to lengthen the shift rod by 10 mm. Or bend the shifter.
002 to 091, 091 to 002 information

Good luck
Tcash
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Okay, that makes sense, Tcash. I had my brain in reverse. Laughing

Thanks for including that link. It was very informative.

---WildIdea

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Thanks for the dimensions, Rocker. I should have mentioned that Robbie adjusted it as best he could. That's how he discovered the nose cone was for a different transmission.

Ahem… I adjusted it best I could before you pulled the engine and replaced a great deal of garbage with quality German FI parts… Wink Your gear carrier is from an 091 transaxle. I do not know what the rest of the transaxle is from. Volkswagen of Canada did most of the volume rebuilding of the 002 transaxles, and they used 091 gear carrier with spring-loaded neutral gates, which is what you have. The springs exaggerate ANY slop in the system, which is why I installed a bug shift bushing to hold you over until we get the correct late bus style. Cool (It's better than nothing but still needs ministering…)

Think about this for a second- if the nose cone was too far forward, the shifter would actually be moved further from the hand brake- as the shifter is a Class 1 lever.

There actually is adjustment in the position of the shifter:

engine off
engage second gear
loosen both 13mm shifter bolts
reposition shifter housing closer to driver rear
shove reverse lockout plate to left with screwdriver
snug screws
check for solid engagement of all gears

By positioning the shifter housing closer to the driver rear, you'll be able to engage third with the parking brake pulled, though I don't know why you would ever want to do that… Laughing

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Maybe you can try a curved extension?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Shocked here is the Blue bus and the grey whale--- looks like the extension was either a popular add on or factory for a long time- I do have lots of beetle shifters --if you don't mind bending down-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Thanks WillM. Andrewtf is sending me an extra one that he has (Thanks Andrew!) so I'll give it a try. But I think it's still going to require a little bending to get it out from under the dash. The extension looks like a great option in any case, since it raises the knob up and closer to the driver.

Asiab3: As you know, I'm never shy of showing my ignorance... Wink But what is a gear carrier?
Yes, you showed me how to adjust the shifter position, and I'm planning on trying it as soon as the temps in the garage get below 100 or so....

---WildIdea

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

CarlosZ wrote:
Maybe you can try a curved extension?

Only if you want to be in the wall of shame thread. When you get older, your knob will bend itself, gradually.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

[quote="Abscate"]
CarlosZ wrote:
Maybe you can try a curved extension?[/quotewhen you get older, your knob will bend itself, gradually.
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

My '77 CE-1 came to me with one of those gear shift extensions. Pretty nifty! You can rotate it around to suit your style.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 57

Jump to: