Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Mine always seems to be over to the left..

What’s That Noise?!?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Mine always seems to be over to the left..

Mine's shorter than most, but it's very precise and always works when it needs to.......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Mine's shorter than most, but it's very precise and always works when it needs to.......

That's quite worthy right there. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

As amazing as it sounds to me, it's been one year since I found Chloe on eBay. Reviewing this thread, it equally amazes me how much has been done to bring her back to life! Tires, fuel lines, brakes, drivetrain, FI, clutch, e-brake, etc. And if it hadn't been for all the insight and experience of my fellow Sambanistas, along with Robbie's invaluable instructions, she would probably still be wallowing in the garage, waiting for me to figure out how to set things right.

So, on this one-year anniversary, I want to give a huge, heart-felt "Thank you!" to everyone who has freely given advise, offered encouragement, and provided the materials to get her running again. ACVW's are such amazing pieces of machinery, especially considering they have 40+ years behind them, still running as they did when new. And we all have the common bond of having an emotional attachment to our two-ton loaves. Cheers! Applause

And another big Thanks to Everett for being the Wizard behind The Samba, giving us all the opportunity to share our wisdom and wit. I just renewed my "gold star" membership in the hopes it keeps the website in the black and alive for years to come.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I would say it is counter-intuitive to live in a rust-free zone and buy from a rust belt zone. But it does look like it is in decent shape. I don't know what you paid, or what you would have to pay locally.
The smog situation for an out-of-state vehicle is that it does not need to conform to CA standards but the federal standard to pass. But it must have all
the original smog equipment, even if it makes good numbers. They may have adjusted the standards since I looked into it. There used to be a required air pump which was a major expense. I heard of them being swiped from working cars. I think that snafu was rectified. Also, if the federal version did not require it then it is okay. You also have to have your brakes and lights inspected.
I would wire brush everything and then paint the underside with POR. That and the climate should take care of any rust issues.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Today I removed the shifter and bent it to make it easier to shift without banging my hand into the e-brake handle. Tomorrow I'll install and see how it works. BTW... that shifter is a STIFF and substantial piece of metal. I used an electrical conduit bender, and it was a challenge to get any bend in it except about halfway up it. It looks odd, but as long as it functions, I'll be a happy camper.

Also did a minor tune up with dwell and timing, and fixed a couple vacuum leaks. She's running muuuuuch better now. Former hills that bogged her down to 30 MPH in 2nd gear are now 50-55 MPH hills in 3rd and 4th. Super jazzed about that!

But she stills has a problem idling. Sometimes she idles fine, and sometimes she doesn't feel like it. So I bought new points and condenser from NAPA today (thanks for the suggestion, Robbie!), and will install them soon.
_________

On a similar topic, I found this posting in an old "Timing" thread...

Tcash wrote:
Properly aligned Type IV timing scale. Note how the 32* mark lines up with the fin on the fan housing.
the_benjamin_effect wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7810248#7810248
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Timing 68-70 113 905 205T

With the questionable quality of parts available, I've wondered about the accuracy of this scale. The OG scale that came with Chloe had been scrubbed clean, so NO letters or numbers were visible. So I purchased a new one... but had my doubts as to its accuracy since it was considerably different from the homemade scale detailed by LeeE, which I thought was pretty brilliant of him to draft up for us.

Now I seriously doubt the scale I have since seeing this pic. It is showing the 32* mark lines up with the rib on the shroud. On mine, it lines up with the 36* mark. So it's quite possible I am running 4* off...

What are the experts' opinions?
Question Should I set the timing to the scale, or should I adjust it 4* to compensate for the possible discrepancy?

I guess the big question is: Is the shroud rib an accurate mark for 32*?

For richard123vmt:
Chloe was originally a west coast girl, and was only living in Missouri about a year and a half, and was a project bus for the owner. So she was mostly spared the ravages of rust and salt. And she was such a good buy, I couldn't pass it up!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
But she stills has a problem idling. Sometimes she idles fine, and sometimes she doesn't feel like it.

How bad is the idle when it misbehaves? I'm curious to know what plugs you're using.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Hi Tommu... I've noticed when I'm cruising along with RPMs up (no tach, so I'm guessing 3000 or so), and let off the gas approaching a stop, the idle gets very low when the clutch is pressed, and then dies. But if I approach a stop with lower RPMs, she keeps idling alright. So I've learned what I can do to keep her from dying.

I replaced the plugs this past spring, and used the NGK brand.

How's your hunt for a 2.0 GD coming along? Kinda frustrating, isn't it? Ride-on has a GE coming available soon, ICYI... All you have to do is drive 2500 miles to pick it up... Shocked

On the other issue of the questionable timing scale, WilliamM had a great idea... Find true TDC by getting cylinder 3's valve to flutter, and set the scale from there. Brilliant! (I haven't done it yet, but it's still pretty ingenious, IMO.). Thanks BillM!

---WildIdea

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Have you lubed your distributor lately?
Lubing the Distributor
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Lubing the Distributor

Yes, I lubed the shaft and oiled the top and the points' pivot last week when I set the dwell and timing. Thanks for the reminder, though. After reading your post, I see I missed the "advance plate guide ball". I'll take care of that next.

---WildIdea

lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

You could fine and mark TDC and then use a dial back timing light to set your timing,that way you won't need the scale,just a TDC mark.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Lubing the Distributor

Yes, I lubed the shaft and oiled the top and the points' pivot last week when I set the dwell and timing. Thanks for the reminder, though. After reading your post, I see I missed the "advance plate guide ball". I'll take care of that next.

Hey Kent,

Which distributor is in your engine? I see a lot of the breaker plates that are sticky or in some cases frozen. Most are two piece breaker plates. They are greased between the plates and on the collar between them. If this distributor has never been apart since new, it should come apart for a full cleaning and re lubrication and inspection.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686352&highlight=

Here's a thread that shows a breaker plate that shows what I'm referring too.

Maybe next time you see Robbie, he can lube the distributor up for ya.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Actually, it's a GD, but yes... more than a few miles away!
Thanks KentPS!

KentPS wrote:
How's your hunt for a 2.0 GD coming along? Kinda frustrating, isn't it? Ride-on has a GE coming available soon, ICYI... All you have to do is drive 2500 miles to pick it up... Shocked

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
Actually, it's a GD, but yes... more than a few miles away!
Thanks KentPS!

KentPS wrote:

Alllllllright Tommu.... Time for a road trip to Connecticutt! Dancing

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Hey Kent,

Which distributor is in your engine? I see a lot of the breaker plates that are sticky or in some cases frozen. Most are two piece breaker plates. They are greased between the plates and on the collar between them. If this distributor has never been apart since new, it should come apart for a full cleaning and re lubrication and inspection.

Maybe next time you see Robbie, he can lube the distributor up for ya.

Oh man.... I feel like a lameass for not knowing the answer. I know it's double vacuum, with one port blocked off. And it probably does need some TLC, since Robbie said the advance is kinda slow in returning. But I'm not at that stage yet where I feel confident in rebuilding a distributor. Maybe I can find an old broken one to experiment on...

Confession time: I've fugged up my shifter. Embarassed After I reinstalled it, I only could get it into reverse. I understand there's some adjustment in the mounting, but I haven't found the secret of success yet.

---WildIdea

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

The adjustment prodedure is in the Bentley section 6
Put it in 2nd gear
Adjust shifter bracket so it is 90* to the floor
With a screwdriver push the stop plate from the drivers side toward the passengers side until it rest against the shifter.

Is the stop plate installed correctly?
Shifter Parts ID T2
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Question Should I set the timing to the scale, or should I adjust it 4* to compensate for the possible discrepancy?

I guess the big question is: Is the shroud rib an accurate mark for 32*?

FWIW, my aftermarket timing scale seems more like yours (36° mark nearer to the fin), but it might have been the perspective of the picture.

I'll double-check looking at it frontally when I'm at the bus next.

However, if aftermarket timing scales were to be that much off, would it not be a more widely known issue? In my (granted, short) experience with the bus, it's the first thing I hear about this. But perhaps someone else with more experience can comment on this one.

It has certainly brought some uncertainty, as I was just about to adjust the timing too Smile

KentPS wrote:
But I'm not at that stage yet where I feel confident in rebuilding a distributor. Maybe I can find an old broken one to experiment on...

After having rebuilt 3 distributors, that does not make me an expert, but I can tell you that it's totally doable by a hobbyist. I had never even touched a distributor before that and I had no mechanical background.

Here is some info to get started refreshing your late bay distributor, should you attempt to do this:

021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics)
Distributor 022 905 205S restoration questions
Stuck vacuum advance on distributor

And if you want to get it done by a professional, Glenn, tasb and wcfvw69 are some of the reputable folks I've heard of here in The Samba. Apologies if I've missed anyone else.

But if you prefer to do this yourself (I personally wanted to do it myself to learn how it's done and how a distributor is put together), I'd recommend getting a cheap core to play with first, as it will give you more confidence and free you from the pressure of potentially breaking your distributor.

Decode your M-Plate
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Brush off your high school maths, get a 1 dollar protractor and measure and mark your timing scale or the pulley. It's not rocket science, although vectors and angles are the core of rocket science.

If you are timing by the " full advance at rpm" method...

Decide what full advance is in your head...32,35 degrees?

Cut a sector of paper from thin cardboard at tha angle.

Apex of sector goes at center of fan nut.
One side at TDC or at zero on your scale.
The other side marks timing forever..mark scale with sharpie and take a pic to remember
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Very Happy I've still got some fibre washers/oil seals- from Glen (so ya they are the right ones) and a pile of little parts, like fibre oil wicks and new spacers- if you want them-(Or you could just send it to Glen) AND will be going to Anaheim this sunday to pick up a new to me Beam for grey bus. PM if you want them.

You can borrow my "dial a number" timing light provided I get it back before Christmas.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

A small change in angle on those pictures will cause a large apparent angle change on the timing mark - same mistake made by the Moonshot conspiracy crowd on their moon shadow pictures.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 57

Jump to: