Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

That’s a great idea. I hadn’t thought of that.
I’ll pick up one this afternoon.

If I were closer, we’d never get any work done, and the beer cooler would always be empty. Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I found this pic posted by Aeromech in a different thread:

aeromech wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for posting that pic, Gary.

It shows springs around the shaft in the nose cone. When I opened mine up, there were no springs, and that u-shaped bracket isn't there either. And I don't find them shown in the Bentley manual.

Is that first pic from a different transmission, or am I missing some parts? (Mine is a 3-rib.).
And, if I am missing them, where would I look for them? I didn't see them on the Weddle site.

Thanks...

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

It's hard to believe, but it's been two years since I bought my Chloe and joined The Samba. And a great two years. Lots of ups and a few downs, but overall this has been the greatest hobby ever.

Here's the latest on The Old Girl:
I lucked out and found a running 1.8l engine on Craigslist, and bought it last week. The seller still had it in his car, so I got to hear it start and run, and it sounded pretty dang good to my ears.

I've torn it down to the long block and cleaned it up a bit, although it's pretty clean and only a little oil leaking from one push rod tube.

The PO of this engine had it in a dune buggy, so it had a bit of sand to be cleaned off, but not bad. There were not many tins, no thermostat, and the alternator bracket was broken. But I'm in the process of using all my parts to build it back up. The plan is to run it for a few months while the current engine is being rebuilt (taking my sweet-a$$ time!) and then put the rebuilt one in. Once that is running well, I'm thinking I'll take the engine I just bought and build it into a 2.0, if it's in decent condition inside. Still thinking about that though.

I'll be working in Florida again for the next week or so, so won't get a chance to work on it. But as soon as I get back, it's going to be a priority of mine. I miss driving the old girl!

---WildIdea

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Here's the latest on The Old Girl:
I lucked out and found a running 1.8l engine on Craigslist, and bought it last week. The seller still had it in his car, so I got to hear it start and run, and it sounded pretty dang good to my ears.

I've torn it down to the long block and cleaned it up a bit, although it's pretty clean and only a little oil leaking from one push rod tube.

The PO of this engine had it in a dune buggy, so it had a bit of sand to be cleaned off, but not bad. There were not many tins, no thermostat, and the alternator bracket was broken. But I'm in the process of using all my parts to build it back up. The plan is to run it for a few months while the current engine is being rebuilt (taking my sweet-a$$ time!) and then put the rebuilt one in. Once that is running well, I'm thinking I'll take the engine I just bought and build it into a 2.0, if it's in decent condition inside. Still thinking about that though.

That’s a great idea. Why didn’t Stuart and I think of that? That’s right
Our plan was to offer you a loaner “Free” Laughing Wink you know I’m messing with you Very Happy

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
...you know I’m messing with you Very Happy

St. Xevin?!? Nah, he never messes with his buds. Wink

The offer of your engine was very generous and appreciated. It's too bad we live so far apart. We could have a beer and hang out.
Right now, I'm waiting for a flight to Florida, and having a Blue Moon with an orange slice. Hits the spot. Cheers!

---WildIdea

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Kent, the spring loaded selector shaft and corresponding brackets were instroduced in 1976 with the 091. You shouldn’t have them in your three rib 002. You shouldn’t have them in any bus, really, as the spring action makes any slop in the shifter mechanism worse, ergonomically.

Brian and I went so far as to do a nosecone pull on Buddy without removing the engine just to get that damn bracket and spring set out of my old transaxle. (VW of Canada rebuilt the thing and thought it would be cute to instal the spring set in my 002...)

Happy two years!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Baby steps...

Ive been doing a couple dozen upgrades to Chloe while the engine is being swapped. High on that list was removing the windshield and see how bad the rust was. Luckily, it wasn't too bad, so I cleaned it out, prepped, primed and painted. Unluckily though, the windshield cracked while trying to put on the new seal. It had a rock chip directly in front of the driver's eyes which is where it broke, so replacing it wasn't a bad thing...

Watching the guys do the install makes me glad to have paid them to do it. They worked great as a team and had it done in less than a half hour. It sealed great, and no more chip.

Next on the list: Replace the nose cone gasket that's leaking...

---WildIdea

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Coming along nicely, Kent!
Clear view, gas in the tank, with some juice to bounce you along before you know it.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Maybe I should make sure I plan to stop in on my way north...I wanna go for a ride!!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Maybe I should make sure I plan to stop in on my way north...I wanna go for a ride!!

Unfortunately you were long gone before she got back on the road again. But next time you're in the area, stop on by!

Robbie was here yesterday to help me with all the connections to the drive train. We had a long day due to an oversight on my part which necessitated taking off the nose cone again. But once the "new" 1.8 liter was ready, it started right up and ran smoothly. I still have a few tasks to finish, but I did drive her on a short trip downtown tonight

Karma was with us! I've been wanting a pic of Chloe next to a specific mural, but there has always been other cars in the way. But tonight it was clear, and I was able to get this shot...

Very jazzed to have a running Chloe again, and also for getting this shot. Dancing

---WildIdea

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Robbie was here yesterday…

…and I had tea for the first time. Dunno why people do drugs when that stuff is legal. I could have changed a flat wire without a jack I was so jacked Tuesday morning…… Razz

…And who could mind removing the freshly installed motor with a view like this? I finally found an angle where my stupid mirrors look tasteful!

(bonus points if you caught my excessive camber before I mentioned it!)

…And I'm sure the neighbors LOVED our 4,400 RPM first gear pulls with straight-piped exhaust headers… Because if you're going to forget ANYTHING after an entire engine swap, it should absolutely positively 100% be the muffler.

Quote:
We had a long day due to… …taking off the nose cone again.

Nothing like 6pm decisions to take the transaxle out…

…though 9pm felt as good of a time as any to instal Andrewtf's Mystery Muffler…
(So it didn't fit without a drill, but the heat exchangers were roached anyway…)

Quote:
Karma was with us!…

…Very jazzed to have a running Chloe again…

100% agreed.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

good to see chloe back on the road! Nothing wrong with a mystery motor. Check it over, if all looks good it could last a long time!
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Looking at those pics, you'd think we just layed around drinking beer all day. Cool

---WildIdea

Last edited by KentABQ on Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Quote:
instal Andrewtf's Mystery Muffler…

Warms our heart to quiet down a little corner of Palm Springs. Especially since both Murphy and Big Emma have a little bit of Chloe in each of them as well.

Quote:
Looking at those pics, you'd think we just layer around drinking beer all day. Cool

Actually they tell me Robbie was working all day while Kent sat in a chair and drank beer and took photos.
Kinda like at our house.

yea... kidding of course.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Quote:
Looking at those pics, you'd think we just layer around drinking beer all day. Cool

Actually they tell me Robbie was working all day while Kent sat in a chair and drank beer and took photos.
Kinda like at our house.

yea... kidding of course.

Those are Kent's safety shoes sticking out in that photo, not mine! Shocked
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Quote:
instal Andrewtf's Mystery Muffler…

Warms our heart to quiet down a little corner of Palm Springs. Especially since both Murphy and Big Emma have a little bit of Chloe in each of them as well.

Chloe now has Murphy's muffler (and heat exchangers when the rebuilt engine is ready) and the shifter extension. She also now sports a newly rebuilt distributor from wcfvw69 (which has made an amazing difference in starting and performance!). And one of my favorite recent additions is a license plate frame from my home town that WilliamM gave me.

My old dual carbs are in a buddies bus now...
the old seats were given to a Samba member in LA...
some extra FI components to Big Emma...
BlazeCut went into NYCynthia's refurb...
my latest carbs are going to someone that Robbie knows...

So it's pretty cool to share parts to create our own personalized van/bus.
The Samba community is pretty unique for an Internet resource group.
Disfunctional at times, but still a pretty amazing group.

---WildIdea

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

The Samba community is pretty unique for an Internet resource group.
Dysfunctional at times, but still a pretty amazing group.

Link

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Chloe and I had our first road trip with the new 1.8l mystery engine. She drove I-10 at 65mph with no problem, and even had a little extra power to accelerate while driving up the hills. That never happened with the old engine. Oh, and passing cars on the freeway is a new experience for me in Chloe. Laughing

We drove to Conemac in Canoga Park to pick up the machined parts that will go into the new engine...

Those are CarloZ's donated heads that have been welded and rebuilt by Rick at Conemac. Both Carlos and Rick are super nice guys. Rick rebuilt Carlos' current engine and has been very happy with it. So he introduced me to Rick who has great knowledge about type 4 engines. This will be my first engine build, so he gave me some good tips on what to watch for. Tommu has also been helpful in giving advice, as he's meticulously going thru his rebuild process. I can only hope to be half as meticulous.

But now I'm reconsidering this rebuild, since the "temporary" engine is running so well. The only issue discovered by Robbie during the install was #1 exhaust valve stem sticking a couple mm out from the others following their adjustment. If it continues to be a problem (Robbie said to check valve adjustments every 500 miles for a while), I could just replace the heads. On the other hand, I'd really like to take my time and learn how to build an engine.

Anyone have any thoughts? Insights? Recommendations?

---WildIdea

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I'd run your mystery engine and enjoy your bus. Robbie has a good suggestion to watch what that one valve does for the next few thousand miles. If it keeps changing then you know a head change is coming.

I'd continue forward with rebuilding this new type (4) engine you have the parts for. Take your time. Use all your VW buddies on this site to assist. I even suggest starting a rebuild thread for that engine. Many expert builders will chime in and offer advice. Plus engine building threads ROCK! Get the how to rebuild you engine book. Get the Jake type 4 engine build video.

To me, this is a perfect time to carefully and thoughtfully rebuild that engine to super anal standards. You're not in a rush for this engine so that allows you the time to build this one right.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
...If it continues to be a problem (Robbie said to check valve adjustments every 500 miles for a while), I could just replace the heads. On the other hand, I'd really like to take my time and learn how to build an engine.

Anyone have any thoughts? Insights? Recommendations?

If you get in there to replace the heads, you will need to determine the combustion chamber volume with the new heads so that the replacements won't screw up your compression ratio with some unknown volume.

Continue the path of building your new engine. You will be a better man for it, and then you can remove your currently good running engine and crate it up for safe keeping.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 40 of 57

Jump to: