Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

I am noticing my 01 EV has a very touchy throttle response when launching. I checked the TCU code and noticed it is set to all Zeros.

Does anyone have an 01-03 and know, or can check, what their TCU soft code is set to?

I also tried a Throttlebody alignment but it made no difference. Any other ideas why the throttle response would be so touchy when launching? We keep a chapstick in the dash pocket and its a challenge to keep if from flying out when accelerating from a stop.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

TCU is all zeros.

You might want to try removing the throttle body and physically cleaning it. Then go back in and do an adaptation.
typetwotool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

Is it a drive by wire? Maybe the signal from the pedal is skewed?

80 Vanagon
00 Eurovan
69 Karmann Ghia
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

My '01 is also touchy off the line, so I'll be curious what you find out, especially if a throttle body service takes care of the issue.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
typetwotool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

Saw this yesterday, forgot to put it in the last post. Maybe this will help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jde-g_ei1s

80 Vanagon
00 Eurovan
69 Karmann Ghia
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

Thanks folks, I will try cleaning the throttlebody and see if that makes any changes.

My idle is fine but I noticed when doing the adaption it seemed to be at around 13% baseline which seemed high.

PS- Thomas EXOVCDS on Youtube is awesome!
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

Just remember, that you got to take the throttle body off of the intake manifold. It just makes cleaning it 110X easier. Since the throttle body is right out in the open, removing the 4 bolts is really easy.

While you are at it, make sure the intake doesn't have a bunch of oil in it either. If the vacuum hose on the PCV is plugged, the blow by all collects in that pipe and runs downhill through the MAF and onto the air filter. So, you won't really know it unless you take the whole pipe off.

In a nutshell, if your going to clean one thing, might as well do the rest while you are in there.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

I cleaned the throttle body today, it did have quite a bit of carbon and crud in there. Then did a TB adaption. Also removed the intake pipe and cleaned it, and some MAF sensor cleaner too.

No change. My accelerator is still jumpy as heck when launching from a stop or at low speeds. If Im on a gravel road and even think about the accelerator, it peels out.
typetwotool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

You could try checking the Intake Manifold Change-Over Valve -N156- ? My EV is a year older and doesn't have this set up so I'm a bit unfamiliar with it but it looks like, under vacuum it routes intake air through a longer path and as you accelerate and lose intake vacuum it switches to a shorter path? Not sure, seems like it would fail by not switching and the van would seem sluggish but maybe there is a problem with the vacuum supply to the valve?

Good luck.

80 Vanagon
00 Eurovan
69 Karmann Ghia
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

Does the pedal seem too easy to press ie. weak or broken return spring?

Intake manifold change-over? Interesting idea.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

gakali wrote:
Does the pedal seem too easy to press ie. weak or broken return spring?

Intake manifold change-over? Interesting idea.

The pedal force and movement seem pretty normal.

I can dig around with the change-over, I'm not familiar with that but it gives me an area to look.

Thanks.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

What about the pedal position sensor itself? Not sure off hand the value block but maybe give it a look see too.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

gakali wrote:
What about the pedal position sensor itself? Not sure off hand the value block but maybe give it a look see too.

Good idea. I just took a scan while driving. The markers are when the surges occurred.

It does look like there may be a pretty significant step in throttle angle considering I was light footing it and the van just about jumped out from under me. At marker 2, the van instantly (about .5 second according to the timing although it felt instant) jumped from 2k to 2880 RPM and the angle from about 15 to 40 degrees. I was not getting into the throttle much at all.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

Log it again but add into it, the vehicle speed. You might have vehicle speed (VSS) sensor starting to go bad.
typetwotool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

I like that log, gotta' figure out how to do that!

To test the accelerator position sensor log display group 062. No need to have the car running just key on. Press the accelerator slowly and look for any jumps in the readings. Focus on display groups 3 and 4. Sensors -G79- and -G185-

80 Vanagon
00 Eurovan
69 Karmann Ghia
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '01 EV transmission TCU soft code, aggressive acceleration Reply with quote

typetwotool wrote:
I like that log, gotta' figure out how to do that!

To test the accelerator position sensor log display group 062. No need to have the car running just key on. Press the accelerator slowly and look for any jumps in the readings. Focus on display groups 3 and 4. Sensors -G79- and -G185-

I just recorded with vagcom and then opened the file in excel. You can use excel to turn it into a graph too, sometimes a graphical view helps visualize what is going on. Then I used the windows snipping tool to do a screen capture and highlight the sections of interest.

I did some additional logging this morning and will do some more this afternoon after work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: