Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

You may think this is dumb
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

I have a 1971 bus with a stock engine. I also have a good core and would like to consider building a high displacement engine to swap in. The thing that might sound dumb is that I want this engine to be very plug and play. In other words I don't want dual carbs, external oil system, or anything else that makes it more involved. I don't even want a spin on filter. What I do want is to use a 34PICT-3. So what's the largest engine I can build that will run with a modified Solex carb? I'm hoping to make it up to a 2007cc. I would settle for less.

Guys, I've already been down the road before, several times. This time it's my bus. I want simple. I want driveabilty. I want low end power. I want plug and play. No full flow.

So I'm thinking.

78 crank
90.5 p/c
Engle 100 cam
Stock valves
Tri-Mil exhaust
Solex 34PICT-3 carb
SVDA distributor or maybe DVDA
Deep sump

I just don't know if this carb can be made to run well on this engine. Tim at Volksbitz thinks it might. What say you guys?

Past engines
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My current engine

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

Are you dead set on a stock 34pict3? Or do you just want a stock ish single carb on a stock manifold? Reason for asking is that I just saw someone (sunday at Flanders NJ show) using a single Kadron 40 on his 1915 and he said it worked really well.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

I'd really like to keep the 34pict-3 in slightly modified condition. I've done to Kadron thing before and hated them. Although that was duals.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

Yeah I do think the deep sump is dumb.

Sounds like a good combo, i agree 1904 being a ideal size to extract the most from stock breathing components. Torben (Alstrup) has built a lot of these, and has good ideas about how to do it. Larger venturi, CB center section, maybe some porting, certainly 90-100 hp is possible.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Yeah I do think the deep sump is dumb.

Sounds like a good combo, i agree 1904 being a ideal size to extract the most from stock breathing components. Torben (Alstrup) has built a lot of these, and has good ideas about how to do it. Larger venturi, CB center section, maybe some porting, certainly 90-100 hp is possible.

That's sounding good. Keep in mind that this will be a bus engine. Cooling is important. I'm thinking T4 cooler mod
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

CB 2280 "Cheater Cam" is a great match for the stock carb.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

I have no input about the bigger cooler; never tried it. I would look for a shroud with the scoop. (some had it some didn't)

It would be nice to have a as-21 case, so, if it runs hot, you can let it run hot. The Germans thought that was a good plan.
Probably will run hotter than if it had dual IDFS.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the Type 4 cooler mod. I believe that you get a lot of return for the investment. My 2010 Baja always had higher oil temps then I liked. I was going to put an external cooler on it. However, I had a couple of T4 coolers, so I thought I would try one since they are so much bigger. The temps went from very questionable to no worries with the T4 cooler. I know my engine bay is more open, but as long as you have a good air supply to the fan, I think you will like this mod.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

Cost is a consideration and I already have a case but if it fails inspection I might pop for a brand new case. Good info on the cam. I've always gone with the Engle 100 but that was always with more carburetor. This is something I didn't consider, thanks. I will most likely buy my tin and modified DH shroud from Awesome Powder coating because they do the T4 cooler mod. This isn't something I have money for right now but I wanted your input so I can get a grasp on the project for down the road. Right now my money is going to other things the bus needs first
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I'd really like to keep the 34pict-3 in slightly modified condition. I've done to Kadron thing before and hated them.

Why did you hate the Kadrons? I ran them in my '69 bus with 1914cc and didn't touch them for nine years. They are simple to install and adjust. IMO, the 34-PICT is wasting much of your 2007 cc engine's potential. Kadrons will get your bus up most hills with less "shifting down" than a stock carb.

I had Kadrons (different set) on my 2017 cc Beetle engine for years as well. They are simple and reliable.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

If I was going with duals it would be Dellortos or Webers but not Kads. I just want something simple with a choke. Don't care if I lose some HP because of it.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Motor7710
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

The 34pict 3 is capable of running large engines in the 2.2L range with the right minor mods on the carb.
Best thing about it is that you still got a choke for those cold mornings and not to mention a very torque bottom end.
Here's a silly vid of mine with a 34pict 3 on a 2234cc, but yeah.. Alstrup did help me on this project and his probably your best
bet for advise! Good luck

Link

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
IMO, the 34-PICT is wasting much of your 2007 cc engine's potential.

I kinda feel like the end castings are really the limit. My 2007 is sp and I'm thinking of going to DP with trick ends and some head work.

Gary, I say go for the 2007. I need to jet mine, meaning I need your LM2. Robbie hid his LM1 so I couldn't use it while he's gone. I'll let you drive my car, after we jet it, and you can see if it'll be worth your while or not. Definitely go dual port, and I like the SVDA but a DVDA would be fancy. Might also want to talk to Adrian, he's a fan of the single carb setups.

Thanks again Torben for the help.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

The engle 100 would act about the same as a 1600 with the CB cheater, since you have so much displacement under a stock head. The idle might be a bit rougher, but it will smooth out soon as you get over 2000 rpm.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

Actually the T4 cooler mod is pretty easy to do if you have a welder and some sheet metal. Best of all it doesn't show if you mess up a little
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

It looks like there are a number of mild cam choices for different motors where low end power is important. A quick look over at Aircooled.net shows the Eagle 2280, Engle W90 and W100, Scat C20 and C25, and the Web Cam Grind 86 and possibly Grind 110.

Last edited by EVfun on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

Contact Alstrup
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

Engle 100 on 105LC with 1.25 rockers on the intake. Or, maybe a Web 218/119 on 106LC. You are going to need help getting air into this engine.
Buses are geared pretty short, maybe a taller gear or a 15" rim to take advantage of the torque of the long runner/ big displacement so that you don't run out of revs before you get to speed? Doghouse with a Venturi ring. 13/8" 4-in-1 or merged header.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

Doesn't sound dumb to me at all. I've also built and enjoyed a few dual carb engines, the idea of mostly stock appearing 1904-ish is starting to gain traction in my mind. Interested to see what you end up with.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: You may think this is dumb Reply with quote

nothing is dumb . when done right .I have run both the cb cheater cam and the engle 100 cam. I find the engle 100 cam works the best . in a heavy car . the cheater cam runs out of power at 4,200 rpm the 100 cam will go to 5,000 rpm and still make power . I am running a engle 100 cam in my bug. with a 1600cc motor with 40 x 35 valve heads ported end castings and a 34 pict carb bocare 135 main jet 60 idle jet stock vw manifold with preheat to the manifold . stock air cleaner gutted I use a K& N air filter . it runs great .it will do 90mph flate out on a free way I shift at 4,500 rpm to 5,000 rpm I get from 20 to 25mpg . in the past I have run a 34pict carb on 2,000cc motor with a 34pict carb. the big motor ran run great go for it spencerfvee
aeromech wrote:
I have a 1971 bus with a stock engine. I also have a good core and would like to consider building a high displacement engine to swap in. The thing that might sound dumb is that I want this engine to be very plug and play. In other words I don't want dual carbs, external oil system, or anything else that makes it more involved. I don't even want a spin on filter. What I do want is to use a 34PICT-3. So what's the largest engine I can build that will run with a modified Solex carb? I'm hoping to make it up to a 2007cc. I would settle for less.

Guys, I've already been down the road before, several times. This time it's my bus. I want simple. I want driveabilty. I want low end power. I want plug and play. No full flow.

So I'm thinking.

78 crank
90.5 p/c
Engle 100 cam
Stock valves
Tri-Mil exhaust
Solex 34PICT-3 carb
SVDA distributor or maybe DVDA
Deep sump

I just don't know if this carb can be made to run well on this engine. Tim at Volksbitz thinks it might. What say you guys?

Past engines

My current engine

Last edited by spencerfvee on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: