Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency flasher without 9 pin box
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

I haven't seen this mentioned, I found it pretty useful

http://www.type2.com/library/electris/vw-9prong.html
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
I have two different versions of this relay:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found this diagram online that appears to match my relays:

Based on the diagram posted using the 2 flasher relay system and the 1966 switch, I should be using the Normally Open, Common and Coil connections, correct? When I pull on the emergency light switch, it activates the coil which then closes the circuit to activate the lights, correct?

In the event anyone finds this useful: I got the 4 ways to work using NO, Common and Coil connections. There's nothing connected to the NC tabs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

I don't think so. The diameter of the shaft may be different. It has the same red lens, but a rubber surround.

To keep the original switch, you'll have to work up an alternate relay set.
jmacgreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

I want the dash on my car to remain stock appearing. If I get a late model switch, will the 1966 button fit it?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

In '66 there was a 6V version of that 9-pin relay.

Back when they were available, I installed one in my '65 to get 4-ways.

Last edited by KTPhil on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmacgreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

I will look for another flasher relay in the classifieds. I'm really curious though as to how the flashers worked when the car was 6volt.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

I would search the classifieds for a late model 4-way switch, and sire it according to the later wiring diagram. Stock parts, reliability, cheap relay.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

And that's a standard Euro-specification 3-terminal (grounded) flasher relay, which the vast majority of all VWs used from 1971-2 to 1998. It does not do any "logic" of e-flashers... that would require a VW emergency flasher switch or various combinations of relays to effect.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmacgreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the terminals on the relay

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

The silver relay on the left in your photo is for the headlights, so ignore that one.

The relay next to it is your turn signal relay. Can you get a photo is the connectors?

Ideally you'd dismount it and take a photo showing where the wires go, so we know what you have. But I am guessing you have a normal turn-signal-only relay and the 4-ways are left out of the system. You'll need the 9-pin relay or equivalent in order to make the 4-way flashers work.

There are two ways to go:
1) 9-pin relay, wired like a stock '67. This uses an expensive relay, but the wimple stock switch.
2) Simple modern relay, and use a later model 4-way switch that has the complex logic in it to work both turn signals and 4-ways off the simple relay. This is the stock setup on later models.

Back in the day I preferred #1 but that was when the relays were still available and not too expensive. But relays wear out faster than switches, so the better setup would be #2, and it still uses stock parts.

Other threads have covered this, I think. I haven't done it (no longer have the old Bugs) but its been done successfully and I believe did not require a different turn signal switch.
jmacgreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

Don't know if this is the correct place to post, so apologies if it isn't. I recently purchased a 1966 bug. It has been converted to 12 volt and everything works as it should except the emergency flasher which isn't wired to anything. I've tried to muddle my way through the various wiring schematics and posts on the subject with no success. A picture of what I've got is posted below. Thanks in advance for any help.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

I have two different versions of this relay:

I found this diagram online that appears to match my relays:

Based on the diagram posted using the 2 flasher relay system and the 1966 switch, I should be using the Normally Open, Common and Coil connections, correct? When I pull on the emergency light switch, it activates the coil which then closes the circuit to activate the lights, correct?
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

Quote:
The DPDT relays I have (and have seen elsewhere) are numbered as follows:

1&2 are NC (normally closed)
3&4 are NO (normally open)
5&6 are COM (common)
7&8 are COIL (positive input on one end, negative input on the other)

This doesn't look right. BUT I could be wrong. I 'thought' this was the universal way. Polarity on the coil is only needed if it has a CEMF diode.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
What he shows does in fact work. But he neglected to mention that it also requires a 2nd flasher relay in order for it to work with the ignition switch off. And it does not use the stock switch.

I had grabbed the first diagram I found in my directory of uploaded images when I showed that 4PDT relay above, and IIRC, I drew that up as an example of a relay doing what's shown on later VW diagrams where a multi-contact switch does the work instead of a relay... and forgetting you don't need 4 sets of contacts, you can do that with a 3PDT relay. Looking at my computer files, I found I had a much better diagram of a 3PDT relay doing just that.

Also of a 2PDT relay with a 2nd flasher relay, a similar setup to runamoc but still using the stock switch to trigger the relay. You could even use a 2PST relay, but the 2PDT is more commonly found for 12VDC.

Bringing this thread back to ask a clarification question to make sure I know what I'm about to do:

The DPDT relays I have (and have seen elsewhere) are numbered as follows:

1&2 are NC (normally closed)
3&4 are NO (normally open)
5&6 are COM (common)
7&8 are COIL (positive input on one end, negative input on the other)

Does your diagram with the 2nd flasher relay show the connections (numbers on the diagram directly relate to a DPDT relay) for the DPDT (or 2PDT as you refer to it) or did you simply number them? I'm not at all an electrical guru and want to make sure I understand what I'm looking at before I start connecting wires. I'm doing this on a Type 3 with LED bulbs which is why I didn't just get the 'blue box'. I'm using electronic flashers (Novita EP36).
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

i went through this just yesterday!
i went ahead and found out why it has 9 terminals, because in some busses, it runs the brake lights through it too, but bugs just use 7 pins.

I found two that did not blink, but the relay for the flashers worked..... so I took it apart, removed all the parts of the blinker portion, soldered on three wires for a three terminal flasher. i wanted to put the three terminal flasher INSIDE the big box, but it didn't quite fit, so it's strapped to the side. works well and does preserve the original wire locations and colors, so the next guy might be a little confused, but not totally lost.
If it was ME I'd just use a nice toggle switch, but for other forlks I try to restore rather than restroy Razz .
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

doc73 wrote:
By the way I did notice when the e flashers were on, the interior light was dimming slightly to the pulse of the flashing. Car is 12v but would this be pretty common power drain with the car not running? Or is something amiss?

Normal. Flashing 4 bulbs at once is enough current rush to cause a momentary dimming when on battery power.
doc73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

By the way I did notice when the e flashers were on, the interior light was dimming slightly to the pulse of the flashing. Car is 12v but would this be pretty common power drain with the car not running? Or is something amiss?

66 Bug
66 fastback (sunroof)
doc73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. Everything is now in working order. The wiring diagram for 1967 on was the diagram I needed for my 66 that has been converted to 12v.

66 Bug
66 fastback (sunroof)
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

Kit from JBUGS.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher without 9 pin box Reply with quote

doc73 wrote:
Yes on the emergency portion. I bought the one from WW 12v for 67 on. It just occurred to me I should probably be looking at the wiring diagram for 67 not a 66 1300?

Not really..
The turn and emergency wiring is virtually identical 66-67.
Match terminal numbers or colors on the module to the schematic and the car. ..
Its really that simple.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: