Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bushwhacker curved windshield removal?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Bushwhacker curved windshield removal? Reply with quote

My neighbor owns an old Bushwhacker dune buggy with a curved windshield. We took photos and posted them to the Corvette Forum (see link below), and were told the windshield/frame is from a C1 Corvette (ignore first response).

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3880116-this-windshield-and-frame.html

He's interested in parting out the windshield/frame to finance some work on his 356C, but we can't figure out how to get it off the body. Apparently, the black structure between the body/frame is solid lead, which my neighbor believes was done via a "cold fluid" process, and the mounting bolts appear to have been sunk into the structure.

Is anybody familiar with this particular Bushwhacker and/or knows any old-timers who may have installed this windshield or know how to remove it safely?

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bushwhacker curved windshield removal? Reply with quote

Get a demolition saw and cut it off. If you're scrapping the buggy, who cares how it comes off?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bushwhacker curved windshield removal? Reply with quote

The C1 WS is held down, originally, by 10-24 bolts straight down in the bottom rail. On a C1, they can be a PITA to get to and get off without breaking.

I like the demo saw to get it off and then figure out how to separate it.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0BudgetProductions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bushwhacker curved windshield removal? Reply with quote

You're scrapping the buggy body???
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bushwhacker curved windshield removal? Reply with quote

No, he's not scrapping the buggy at all. Just figuring a way to get the C1 windshield frame off the body, without damaging the body, to fund work on his 356C. Plans to put a more sedate "Model T" (his phrase) windshield in it's place.

Considering that he bought the buggy for under $2K AND it came with a perfectly working 356 engine (worth at least $5K) AND it came with the noted windshield/frame that Corvette Forum members estimated is worth up to $2K (Corvette Central sells complete windshield/frame re-pop for over $3K), he made out like a bandit.

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bushwhacker curved windshield removal? Reply with quote

While I've never heard of 'cold fluid' leading, are you absolutely sure it's lead? If it is a rotary rasp will make quick work of it, if it's putty even quicker work. Personally, I'd still slide a demolition saw under the frame and start hacking. He's going to have to do bodywork anyway to remove the lead or whatever it is. Start a grove 1/4" away from the windshield trim and go to it - even a thin grinding disc will make quick work. Make shallow cuts all the way along, rock the windshield a little and eventually you'll find that "break-away" point where any bolts have been severed and the only thing holding it on is the lead/body filler.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: