Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A true spray nozzle | In Production!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: A true spray nozzle | In Production! Reply with quote

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Hello All,

This is a small project that I gave myself a couple of days to complete. The main goal was to create a windshield spray nozzle that would actually create a fan pattern versus the squirt gun effect we are all familiar with. The nozzle consists of two parts; upper and lower. The upper portion is able to rotate along the Z-axis a total of 30 degrees to get the desired spray location.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have tested the version above with a spare windshield washer pump and it works quite well. I am going to install them on the van soon.

Would anyone be interested in testing them out?

FREEBIES: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkqzgREEtE9Aj7poRLxLuW-oGORuiQ?e=eSKThT
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

How hard is it to fit them? Can it be done from the outside??
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

ohhorob wrote:
How hard is it to fit them? Can it be done from the outside??

Yes, they can be installed from the outside. I replicated the stock mounting method. They are as easy to install as others that are available on the market.

foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

I'd be interested in testing them.

Send me a PM with details, or just post in this thread.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

I to will help test them for you.
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I'll send a pair for free to the first three people who PM me with their shipping information. I'll most likely need you guys to cover the shipping charge though.

I look forward to seeing how they work for you.

agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to the following for being the first three to send me a PM:

Alaskaberrys
Gizmoman
jimf909

I'll be in touch with each of you individually. I plan to work out some final details of the design today, and then I should be able to start manufacturing them.

Thanks for your interest to those of you who were PM# 4, 5, 6, 7...I can only afford to offer a few of these for free since it is coming out of my pocket, however, I am trying to make them as affordable as can be!

bmxanddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

I would love to test them out as well. I always seem to find myself on muddy/dirt roads so these would be quite helpful!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

This is an example of why I love the SAMBA community, recalcitrants and all. With the slush season fast approaching I am eagerly awaiting results.
SAMBA!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

Great idea, Forrest! I hope they work out for you - and us. Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

to make the fan pattern, makemsure you did not shrink the orifice size to small, else it can clog.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
to make the fan pattern, makemsure you did not shrink the orifice size to small, else it can clog.

Thanks for the heads-up. I scaled the opening of the nozzle on my design to resemble the internal opening size of the stock nozzle. All nozzles are prone to clogging, so tests will tell.

agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

For those of you who like this type of drawing:

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

You have any pictures of the actual part? I like the idea a lot but a finished looking part is important to me if you go into production/sales. The GW sunvisor sockets look is the opposite of what I would spend money on.
Thanks
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
You have any pictures of the actual part? I like the idea a lot but a finished looking part is important to me if you go into production/sales. The GW sunvisor sockets look is the opposite of what I would spend money on.
Thanks

I totally agree with you. Those are some of the worst 3D-printed parts I have ever seen.

I am in the midst of printing another prototype, and it's way better than GW 'finished' part. I'll post a picture of it later on today. Keep in mind that it is a prototype, and that the color of filament is solely for testing fitment. The production part will be black.

nilza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

Nice work forrest, what material do you plan on making this from. I haven't been happy with the UV resistance of anything I have tried, with out adding paint to protect it.

I too have had requests to redo the GW visor parts in something decent Razz
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

nilza wrote:
Nice work forrest, what material do you plan on making this from. I haven't been happy with the UV resistance of anything I have tried, with out adding paint to protect it.

Thanks Nils. I will be using a fairly standard thermoplastic using an SLS printer. UV resistance has been a huge thought, since the part will often see large amounts of it. I will be sealing the parts with UV resistant epoxy resin. I will also be testing another type of material on an FDM printer. I want to see the pros/cons of both.

Here are some images:

The resolution of the final part will be as good, or better than what is pictured.

Last edited by agon.parts on Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

Just a quick update:

I should have my materials and models 100% checked by the end of this week. I'll probably start manufacturing them next week!

agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

Just a quick update:

The few pairs of spray nozzles will begin production tomorrow. I will contact the individuals who will be receiving the first batch once they are ready to ship.

Let me know if you have any questions/concerns or any address changes.

I look forward to you trying them out soon!

Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A true spray nozzle | In Progress Reply with quote

forrest.whitmore wrote:
Just a quick update:

The few pairs of spray nozzles will begin production tomorrow. I will contact the individuals who will be receiving the first batch once they are ready to ship.

Let me know if you have any questions/concerns or any address changes.

I look forward to you trying them out soon!

Hey Forrest, was happy to make the list for trials but I'm realizing a won't be able to install till the end of October (our van will stored in Salt Lake at the end of this trip we are currently enjoying and will awaiting our return from Alaska at that time). You may want, and be able to get, faster feedback from the next in line.

Still be more then happy to trial them if your timeline alows! If not, sign me up for the first pair....these stock ones suck. Musta stopped to clean my window at least five times today (....I think I got most of the bugs in Montana, might be a few left... d'oh!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: