Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does your steering lock work? Yes or No…
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does your steering lock work?
Yes!
85%
 85%  [ 69 ]
No!
13%
 13%  [ 11 ]
Not sure/what's a steering lock?
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 81

mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Does your steering lock work? Yes or No… Reply with quote

Mine works.

It was a bit of a nerve wracking moment when I told the tow truck driver it worked, as he towed my bus by lifting the rear wheels on a frame behind the tow truck and then towing it backwards on the front wheels with just the steering lock holding it straight.
That was the day I had a piece of the engine case in my pocket, where the conrod had gone through the top of the case and knocked a triangle out.

It was towed about 3 miles through several road junctions, including mini-roundabouts (left-right-left chicanes about 30 feet across)

My horn and ignition switch also work as intended.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your steering lock work? Yes or No… Reply with quote

Mine locked when it wasn't supposed to!Shocked
It locks properly now...thanks to Skills!! Very Happy

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your steering lock work? Yes or No… Reply with quote

Mine did on my bus when I got it a few months ago, now it doesn’t and it’s only moved from the garage to an outdoor shed and pushed back into the garage Think Eh? I think it’s the OG ignition and it has 92k miles on it, could it be worn out?
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your steering lock work? Yes or No… Reply with quote

I’m a little late to the game here but No, mine does not work. I have never looked into why it’s inoperable. How does one evaluate the reasons it doesn’t work? I assume the mechanism is housed at the base of the steering wheel. Also - I don’t have the original ignition switch - might this have an effect? Will I see the mechanism if I remove the blinker housing?

Last edited by Whaanga on Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your steering lock work? Yes or No… Reply with quote

My ‘69 column lock works great in my ‘71...
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your steering lock work? Yes or No… Reply with quote

The lock only works when a pin operated by the lock engages with (I think) one of two holes drilled in a collar welded on the central column. On my 1973 style steering column, the pin is behind the lock mechanism.

So the steering normally does not lock unless you rotate the steering wheel after locking the ignition switch and removing the key, the pin springs out.

Then because you have twist in the tyres from turning the steering wheel while the bus is stationary, it holds the pin tightly in the hole and prevents you turning the ignition key ...

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Does your steering lock work? Yes or No… Reply with quote

Alex6373 wrote:
The steering wheel lock on my 1973 Westfalia camper works but I unpluged the annoying buzzer!

British specification 1973 VW Type 2 Westfalia campers like mine, are not equipped with buzzers; of the annoying variety or otherwise! My steering lock never worked for many years until I discovered that the plastic collar prevented the steering-lock pin from engaging.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: