Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 bus seems to be running rich
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

I've got a '74 with the original 1.8 type 4 with a set of solex/brosol 32pdsit carbs. This spring it started running pretty crappy so i took carbs apart and cleaned them, replaced points with electronic ignition but that didn't seem to help. Finally I figured out one of the fuel shutoff solenoids was bad so i replaced that and it got better but i am still having issues. Taking off from stop lights and just crusing around town it wants to sputter and almost seems like it keeps cutting in and out on a few cylinders. Its not something you can feel but can definitely hear it. I also just replaced spark plugs but that made no change. When i rev it up i get black smoke out the exhaust and it smells rich. Any ideas
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

Have you gone through the dual carb adjustment procedure in the Bentley?

Have you read Colin Kellogg's spiel on dual carb adjustments?

If not, I'd start there. Colin just got me trained (somewhat -- still learning!) and tuned up on three sets of original dual Solex carbs from '72, '73, and '74 a week or so ago. His instructions are very useful.

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=50...rs#p139237
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
solex/brosol 32pdsit carbs.

Do they actually say Brosol on them? Do they have electric chokes?, are the chokes opening fully?, what kind of fuel pump do you have?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

Yes they say brosol on them. They are not the factory carbs. They are a replacement that are similar to the original ones. I took air filters off and chokes are opening fully. I have just the factory mechanical fuel pump.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

has it ever run right with that set up? If it "ran great" then maybe some one here may get it back to good- If not- then may need a different approach ie- fiddling with the float levels- checking for syphoning jets and accelerator pumps; plugged air bleed jets..

A good start is to look down the carb with a timing light while its running. Figure where all that fuel is coming from . Are both carbs looking the same-?

Check the plugs for differences between the 2 carbs,

Need to know your base settings for timing and carb adjustments.

Get back to us- Pics would help.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

Do you have plastic or brass floats. Many plastic floats can not handle today's alcohol laced fuels and thus the floats get fuel logged causing the engine to run rich.
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

Plastic floats. I will try running some non ethanol premium. If i am heavy on the throttle it runs just fine. It is really only an issue when pulling away from a stop sign or just driving normally around town.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

Weigh your floats and see how they compare to spec. Switching to alcohol free gas will not fix a float that is already saturated.
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

Where i al able to buy floats that are correct for these carburetors?
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

3 types of floats

hollow brass - usually good
hollow plastic/nylon etc - usually good

hard foam plastic - these are almost guaranteed to be bad after 4 or 5 years of use. Some go bad in a year or two.

To test the hollow ones shake them and listen for fuel. Another test is hold them in very hot water to see if bubbles come out as the water warms. The hard foam plastic ones don't bother once they are saturated. You can't get the oils out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

Bought another set of identical carbs to mine from a fairly local guy that had them on his bus and said it ran pretty well. He pulled them to go back to fuel injection. I installed them tonight and it still runs the same. I am at a loss here. Would love to just be able to drive this thing and have it run correctly.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

Bendejo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

Have you checked base timing and advance?
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

Haven't checked timing since i installed the new svda about 5 years ago. I installed electronic ignition last fall. Just checked that the vacuum advance is working with a handheld vacuum pump.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

What possibly could be making this thing run rich? Completely different carburetors so it should rule that out. I still get black out the exhaust if i rev it hard and the end of the exhaust is pretty sooty.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
what kind of fuel pump do you have?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

Stock mechanical pump. Was a nos one i bought 4-5 years ago. I curious if maybe it is putting too much out though. What do these 32/34 pdsit carbs require for pressure?
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

I've got time this weekend. Any ides on quick things to check?
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

4-5 PSI for stock PDSIT's, check that. Also confirm both chokes are opening fully and staying that way when running, sometimes the riveted connection where the terminal is on the heaters gets loose and intermittant.

Слава Україні!
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

Actually the carburetors i put on don't have the chokes on them. I will check fuel pressure
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 bus seems to be running rich Reply with quote

Oh...., so not PDSIT's but some sort of aftermarket carbs?, perhaps Kadrons?

Fuel pressure should be closer to 2 lbs for those and you may have to change the jets to get it right.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: