Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tin around alternator
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Tin around alternator Reply with quote

Recently SGKent has helped me work through the missing cooling flaps/thermostat on my 73 Bus. He pointed out the tin near the alternator is not complete as seen in the photos. I'm looking for a photo of how this tin looks when set up properly.

Thank you.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin around alternator Reply with quote

Alternator Type IV (4)

Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin around alternator Reply with quote

There are two different designs of plastic seals that fit around the alternator. The seal you use needs to match the tin you have. Check the classified or a wrecking yard for both the seal and its matching tin.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tin around alternator Reply with quote

You missing the large flat plastic seal for the alt.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nerdhotrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tin around alternator Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Recently SGKent has helped me work through the missing cooling flaps/thermostat on my 73 Bus. He pointed out the tin near the alternator is not complete as seen in the photos. I'm looking for a photo of how this tin looks when set up properly.

Thank you.

Im not proud of the solution... but i have mine tin tapped at the moment until I can find NOS parts to complete both of the seals.

Id suggest you get something there as a temporary solution. The alternator to engine tin seal has been impossible to find.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tin around alternator Reply with quote

you might be able to straighten the tin a little around the oval hole then use one of these for that hole. The larger one takes the plastic. There are multiple styles of tin and I don't know which will fit the best.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=850977

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tin around alternator Reply with quote

If your alternator tin takes the flat seal, you can make a pretty good substitute for the OEM seal out of the plastic from the side of a gallon antifreeze or oil jug.
LeeE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tin around alternator Reply with quote

Here's a crude template. It's in the Samba gallery.
You should be able to print it on 8 1/2 x 11 paper
I made one from a Coleman fuel can.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin around alternator Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise and drawing. Very helpful indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin around alternator Reply with quote

I copied this from one of the links TCash already provided. It is the section that pertains to the question of the tin. The link is up above. It is well worth reading when it comes time to work on the alternator and tin.

Tcash wrote:

That would be one of them. By the looks of it there are two to pick from depending on which alt. cover plate you have. Maybe someone has some pictures of the two different cover plates.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Left=55 amp cover plate. 72-75
Right=55&70 amp cover plate. 76-79

vw76westy wrote:
i know that this is the plastic gasket
that gos between the alt and engine tin

but where, how does this gasket go ???

is one for the 55amp and the other for 70amp ??
or does one go behind the other

germansupplyscott wrote:
the top one is '76-'79, the bottom one is '72-'75.

022 903 203 Alternator seal

LeeE wrote:
Here's a crude template. It's in the Samba gallery.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=913618.jpg
You should be able to print it on 8 1/2 x 11 paper
I made one from a Coleman fuel can.

Quote:
Karl wrote:
Question: Does anyone know if this is the correct p/n for the tin-seal-ring for an alternator 022-903-203?

Yes, IF you use it with the replacement 022 alt cover plate. The 021 plate used a different plastic seal ring. If memory serves me: the 021 plastic ring has a raised edge on it to fit in the hole. and is NLA. The 022 ring is flat and has a locking 'tab' to hold it in place at the upper adjustment bolt. The big hole is 2 different sizes between the 021 and 022. You cannot mis-match the rings......

From the Bus Boys site:

K. 021-119-281U Alternator Coverplate, Used 1972 to 1974
K. 022-119-281 Alternator Coverplate, New 1972 to 1979

Note: When using the 022-119-281 plate as a replacement on 1972 to 1974 models, the plastic gasket for the Alternator must be replaced with newer style - order 022-903-203.

72-75

Adjustment cover plate - 021 119 295

Alternator sealing ring and adjustment cover plate
lostorbit
A couple of NLA parts that are hard to find. Luckily, I scored both from The Samba classifieds.

Part numbers in case you're looking for some:
Alternator Seal - 022 903 203
Adjustment cover plate - 021 119 295

Custom Bus Alternator Coverplate

Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tin around alternator Reply with quote

I made this post last year and appreciate the feedback. I'm in the middle of a project - pulled the engine and tranny as seen here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677577&highlight=

While doing the work I removed all the engine tins to clean and paint. I also made a gasket per advice received here. I made mine from a plastic lid for a storage bin. Does look like it will work?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tin around alternator Reply with quote

What you have is okay. The hole would ideally have been a bit larger to fit around the shoulder on the face of the alternator. Can't say how well the plastic from a 5 gallon bucket will last over the long run, but it should do well for the short run. The reason for going with an oil or antifreeze jug is that the industry has standards the plastic used in those jugs is supposed to meet.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tin around alternator Reply with quote

The engine is still out so it's easy to change this.
The material from an oil container or antifreeze jug is much thinner
than what I used. You're right, the inner circle needs to be larger to match that found on the alternator. Will probably use the one I fabbed as a template
and look for some more durable material.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: