Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BAT results, '71 Brazil 23 Window conversion: $56,000
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otherbeach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: BAT results, '71 Brazil 23 Window conversion: $56,000 Reply with quote

I didnt put this in whines, but it is a whine.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-volkswagen-kombi-samba-type-2-t1

Listing Ended about 3p CT 20Oct2020

The following BaT Auctions listing has ended: 1971 Volkswagen Samba 23-Window Conversion (from a 13 window I think)
Winning Bid: $56,000

We had some TheSamba members make some valid and interesting comments to the seller and bidders to be sure to understand what they were getting into.
Coming to you from God’s Own Time Zone: Central Time…up near the Illinois/Minnesota border. ** Note I am currently (mostly) INACTIVE in the bus community due to temporary life changes. My price tracking from 2016 to 2021 is now over and data stored offline **
"Cows at the border of the Dairy State and the Land of Lincoln are remarkably honest."
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT results, '71 Brazil 23 Window conversion: $56,000 Reply with quote

the buyer has a VW that has all of the public admiration of a +100K$ bus for half the money
and likely don't care what a true VW enthusiast thinks.

getting it insured for $56k, that may (or may not) be a trick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otherbeach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT results, '71 Brazil 23 Window conversion: $56,000 Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the buyer has a VW that has all of the public admiration of a +100K$ bus for half the money

Well said: that was the tone of most of the comments in defense of that "build" including the seller's defense of Brazilian VW quality.

"Our" members who commented made good counter-points, but I guess vanity won out as usual and someone looks good at the beach now.

BTW: I didnt think about insurance, good point. I assume some "Agreed Value Policy" is the solution but not my expertise.
Coming to you from God’s Own Time Zone: Central Time…up near the Illinois/Minnesota border. ** Note I am currently (mostly) INACTIVE in the bus community due to temporary life changes. My price tracking from 2016 to 2021 is now over and data stored offline **
"Cows at the border of the Dairy State and the Land of Lincoln are remarkably honest."
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT results, '71 Brazil 23 Window conversion: $56,000 Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

The real issue with those busses isn't the original build quality so much as what is done to them to make them shiny and have all those windows to sell to some unsuspecting sucker. The craftsmanship on most of them is questionable at best

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT results, '71 Brazil 23 Window conversion: $56,000 Reply with quote

that happens with mecum auctions and top dollar 'restorations' too..

well hopefully they have a better vetting system in place now.. but lipstick on a pig always sells.
babes at the beach aren't impressed with your 'authenticity' vs shine.

this one sold for the 'image' not the 'lineage'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: