Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

Look at the dash main fuse/relay panel. In relay socket #3 is the coolant level warning relay. It should have a large "43" or "42" stamped on the end.

WHILE the led is constantly blinking, yank that relay out.
Did the blinking cease or did it continue???

The answer will lead to the diagnosis.

Mark
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

Ok, I will give that a try in the morning (it's 21:10 right..... now.).
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Are you running the clutched alternator pulley?

Is this directed at me?
I would have to say no, in that the generator pulley is small and has no moving parts.
I have heard that people use these
I have heard that these fail at random times.
I have heard that people wish they hadn't used them.

It was more directed at Bridgetroll(Erik) thus the reason I quoted his post. Considering his failures of the crank/sprocket I'm wondering if those occurred with a properly functioning clutched alt pulley. While the clutched pulley does indeed have a fairly high failure rate, it is easy to replace and, more to the point, reduces the stress on the crank/sprocket interface. Without the clutched alt pulley, the failure of the crank/sprocket interface is very high. I'd rather replace the clutched alt pulley a whole bunch of times than have crank/sprocket fail once...
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

WHILE the led is constantly blinking, yank that relay out.
Did the blinking cease or did it continue???
The answer will lead to the diagnosis.

So, I come out the van, and turn on the key (warm day, sun shining), and watch the light.
He blinked twice and went out.
So, I went for a start. No start.
(Van is still timed to zero)
Pulling the cold-start out halfway, van fires right up.
After pushing it back in, idle is lopey for a minute or two, then it evens out.
Oh, and the light is not blinking like last night.
Didn't touch a thing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

I would not worry alot about the light. seems a bad connection.
Try to short the connector from the sensor on the water deposit with a wire.
Light should be off.

You say, your pump timing is at 0. How you know it ? Otherwise, who is setting the pump timing at 0 ?
If it is realy at 0, it doesnt wonder, that the car start only with cold start, as it set the timing 0.3-0,4 in advance.

Than i see on one of your pics a strange part i never seen before. Looks like a crank sprocket holder. Could this part have destroyed your belt ?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

No. That's part of the main seal.
I say my timing is at 'zero', because the cam, crank and pump are all correctly set (as per the Bentley) with the correct tools before the belt was tightened.

I've just ordered the dial gauge you PM'ed me the link to.
It should be here before the end of the week.
THEN I will have all the tools I need to do the job right.
(I have the belt gauge on the way too.)
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

The comment that the cam was 'set to the correct time before the belt was tightened' has me a little concerned. The cam sprocket should still be able to rotate while the tensioner is tensioned. If the cam sprocket bolt is tightened before the tensioner, then any slack in the belt between the crank, pump and cam will cause the cam timing to be retarded during operation.

It would be a very good idea to rotate only CW back to TDC for #1 and double check to make sure that the cam timing is exactly correct.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
I say my timing is at 'zero', because the cam, crank and pump are all correctly set (as per the Bentley) with the correct tools before the belt was tightened.

Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

Ok, Nico, i understand, but you cannot set the pump even to zero without the timing gauge you have ordered.

This screwed part has nothing to do with a seal.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1559501.jpg
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
Ok, Nico, i understand, but you cannot set the pump even to zero without the timing gauge you have ordered.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is set to zero. I realize it still requires the 'fine' adjustment. This is what Bosch is set to do on the 14th (unless I can get it first).

As far as this bit:

It is the main seal on the front of the motor. It bolts to the block (as you can see). The timing cover and the oil pan both bolt to it.
Maybe it is what the crank lock is meant to attach to it.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Spezialwerkzeug-Zahnriemen-...2276829745
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

Sorry, you are right.
It was looking strage for me because of the schadows and my tab.

Yeah, i understood what you mean with 0.
Thats why i am telling you, that having the tool into the pump sprocket does not mean anything about the timing of the pump. Just the correct setting of the belt on pump, crank, valve shaft.
The timing now can be whatever. Very possible oround 0 Wink
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Team WorldTour wrote:

I understand that the Bentley says to tighten the cam sprocket bolt before tensioning, but it is a bad work sequence. I will reiterate that if you tension the belt after torquing the cam sprocket, the cam timing will almost always be retarded due to slack existing between the crank, pump, and cam sprockets that is removed during tensioning skewing the cam to the retarded direction and the crank to the advanced direction...

My recommendation was to do a double check of the valve timing as per the Bentley (equal feeler gauges on either side of the camlock...) because if you followed the Bentley work sequence for tightening the cam sprocket and tensioning the belt, the cam timing is now most likely retarded.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

It is right what Andrew says.
The way is to tight the cam screw to a point where the sprocket still can move, tight the belt, tight the cam screw with torque than turn the engine 3-5 times with a ring key on the crank, and after tight the belt again correctly if needed.
It is better to have the cam minimum in davance than retarded.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

I DO understand what both of you are saying.
This is the way I did the work.
Waldi- I understand what you say about timing the pump, I'm just amazed between how far the pump was out (and it ran), and how it is now (and it runs!).

The gauge is set to arrive Wed or Thurs.
I know what Bentley says about JX pump setting.
Is AAZ any different?
I also have a K14 turbo.
How do I go about setting (checking) it to the magical 1 bar?
There is the blow-off valve that routes back into the intake, but it has no settings, no dial to show how light or heavy the resistance is.
Am I missing something?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
I DO understand what both of you are saying.
This is the way I did the work.

I find that statement and your prior statement that you set the timing per the Bentley somewhat contradictory.

Did you tension the belt before torquing the cam sprocket bolt (right) or torque the cam sprocket before tensioning the belt (per Bentley and *wrong*)?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

I tightened the cam bolt after the tensioner bolt.
This is the way I was taught to do it.
And it seems logical to me as well.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

Very good.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Is AAZ any different?
I also have a K14 turbo.
There is the blow-off valve that routes back into the intake, but it has no settings, no dial to show how light or heavy the resistance is.
Am I missing something?

Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

You need a turbo pressure gauge.
You need to put a second spring into the blowoff or a stronger one if you have the JX intake. Edit: Or you block it fully in some way.
You indrease the pressure when you turn the screw on the wastegate in.
For this you need a 3mm "imbus" a 10mm "gekröpften Ring".
Loose the 10mm screw, hold the screw with the ring key and trun the screw 2 revs in. Drive and check pressure. Every wastegate is a bit different, i think you will need 4 revs or more.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: It started with a thump... AAZ diesel help needed Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Is AAZ any different?
I also have a K14 turbo.
Am I missing something?

The AAZ has two styles of pump. One adjusts in the same way as the JX and other earlier 1.6 pumps by rotating the pump body in its mount. The other style has a two-piece hub/sprocket and adjusts by rotating the sprocket relative to the hub.

The way to adjust boost pressure on a K14 is to cut the metal line that runs between the wastegate and the intake scroll on the turbo and fit a flexible hose (I'd use silicone hose to deal with the head) to each of the cut ends of the metal line. Then run the hose to a manual boost controller and adjust to whatever pressure you like.

On several 1.6 engines I have removed the BOV from the intake and plugged the hole with one of these:

I haven't run more than 20 psi but up to that pressure have not had any issues.

You can also remove the adjustment 'screw' drop in any sort of spacer that fits (e.g. bolt, pebble, etc...) and screw the adjuster down onto the spacer to block the BOV permanently closed. It is not necessary and was deleted with the late Mk2 turbo-diesel engines and onward. AAZ never had a BOV fitted.

That brings me to my next question... you have a 1.6 intake manifold fitted? The ports are a different shape. That port mismatch sure isn't doing anything for your performance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: