Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wife's 1958 Bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GA1911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

My wife's father bought this car in boxes about 10 years ago, took it to Tim Baker at Baker Kustoms and Restoration in Dallas, GA. Tim put the car together and built a 1600 for it. My wife's father passed away a few years back, and she inherited the car. While her dad was alive, he took it to shows and drove it quite a bit. We drove it some after his passing, but it was in need of an engine, transaxle, and better brakes, as my wife decided she wanted to start driving it again. So it went back to Tim, and now here it is, a new 1776, freeway flyer transaxle, and disc brakes all around. We are still breaking in the motor, but it is really fun to drive, plenty of power. Looking forward to hitting some shows around GA this spring and summer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

Nice looking car...welcome to the world of old VWs. Most any question you might have about your car can be answered here on this forum.

Any pics of the interior?
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

I love your old bug but I feel you are missing the whole point of driving one.

They are slow, you take your time and drive like people did in the '60s. If the brakes are rebuilt and adjusted properly, they work really well.

I like my Volkswagens stock, but to each his own.

At least you kept the outside stock looking.
'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

Oh my nice L41 black color! Lets see the interior now. With that engine and brakes uprade, it will be a pleasure to drive.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

Larmo63 wrote:
I love your old bug but I feel you are missing the whole point of driving one.

They are slow, you take your time and drive like people did in the '60s. If the brakes are rebuilt and adjusted properly, they work really well.

I like my Volkswagens stock, but to each his own.

At least you kept the outside stock looking.

I second this statement..but after dropping my 56 ...I like this as well.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

Wow, awesome car.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

Yeah that's gorgeous!! More pics!!!
GA1911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

Larmo...not my first VW, and we do just cruise around and take our time, but it is nice to have the power. The brakes were shot, needed drums and shoes all the way around, rear cylinders were blown, so we stepped up and went with the discs, not really that much more money than replacing everything on the drums.

I'll get some interior shots this weekend.

Thanks for the kind words, I'll let my wife know. She really loves this little car, brings back great memories of her dad.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

It's gorgeous! Her dad must be smiling from above. I don't see any problem with upgrading stuff in the name of safety in modern traffic. Bone stock has it's appeal, but there's something to be said for being able to quickly accelerate to get out of harm's way.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
maplesyrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

Love it! Enjoy Very Happy
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

Nice car, indeed!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GA1911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

This is our idea of cruising and taking it easy. Went out for a ride and beer close to home a few weeks ago.
GA1911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

Here are a couple of photos of the interior. My wife's dad installed one of the "factory looking" stereos with a CD changer hidden under the back seat, along with the kick panel and rear speakers. My wife wants to install a storage tray under the dash, so I'll be pulling the kick panel speakers out. The person that her dad bought the car from had started to rebuild it, and had painted the steering column, steering wheel, parking brake handle grey, and installed all grey knobs. I like the original ivory color, and will change it back at some point, but not that big of a deal right now, we just want to enjoy the car.

Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

GA1911 wrote:
This is our idea of cruising and taking it easy. Went out for a ride and beer close to home a few weeks ago.

It should keep up with traffic fairly well with the 1776 and four wheel discs.

My old '67 had the same 4.37 differential. It would cruise at an easy 65mph with a (mostly) stock dual port.

Your headliner is done like an old Standard. Cool! Cool

Your rear suspension looks to be in its original and sagged by now condition. A little more preload won't raise it substantially but it will make it a more useful backroads vehicle. After all, with the 1776 and disc brakes for all practical purposes you have a Porsche 356C. Cool

GA1911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

It has actually been lowered front and rear, and has a narrowed beam. The disc brakes pushed the wheels back out a little, so looks relatively stock. We have to change the front tire size, they are too tall (16580R15) and rubbing the headlight buckets when turning. It's a work in progress.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's 1958 Bug Reply with quote

I was tired of the bamboo parcel travels unraveling so I got a metal one from Shorty's. https://shortysvw.com/products
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: