Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saw this for $800 and grabbed it
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

This whole story gets back to one very vital point. These deals and projects are anything but unless you can do the work yourself and have access to spares. The wiring work he did would have far exceeded the value of the car, the labor would have killed it. I think the goal here is to have it legal safe to drive and dependable. All the appearance items and cosmetics can come later. This car would have been surely parted out if Steve hadn't come along, so another 71 super is getting ready to hit the road soon.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
This whole story gets back to one very vital point. These deals and projects are anything but unless you can do the work yourself and have access to spares. The wiring work he did would have far exceeded the value of the car, the labor would have killed it. I think the goal here is to have it legal safe to drive and dependable. All the appearance items and cosmetics can come later. This car would have been surely parted out if Steve hadn't come along, so another 71 super is getting ready to hit the road soon.

Kudos to you both on saving another one! (Especially a Super!) Applause

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Are you going to run A/C? I see it has an A/C shroud on it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

Yes in fact it's set up for 460
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:

Yes in fact it's set up for 460

That's a good question. maybe after I get back on my feet a bit (only working part time right now) I can look into the AC options.
At the beginning of this thread I posted a picture showing a big hole in the cowling under the dash up front:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since I am unfamiliar with the AC systems on these what would this have been for?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

That hole was for the under dash mounted AC, those were all dealer installed which is why a lot of it looks like hack jobs.
11Bravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Just saw this, The color is the same as my 72 that was stolen from Riverside Drive in Manhattan in 1976. That was my best running VW and I had to wait in line at a NYC police department to report it stolen. Mine was a stick though.
Thanks for the memories
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

The saga continues nice weather here so we hauled up the car and got after the brakes. Past hacks have been into it most evident by the master cylinder, they crushed the bulkhead . That slowed is down for sure but we will get more done when we have parts in hand. Today was more of assess and take inventory of what is actually needed. I suggested shoes, cylinders and flex hoses, inspection of hard lines revealed no problems, even the long front to back was ok. So it's off to the parts house and drop off the fuel tank to get it boiled at radiator shop. We also extracted another dead mouse that had taken up residence behind kick panel on passenger side. Pic shows the crushed bulkhead, whoever is doing this please stop.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

11Bravo wrote:
Just saw this, The color is the same as my 72 that was stolen from Riverside Drive in Manhattan in 1976. That was my best running VW and I had to wait in line at a NYC police department to report it stolen. Mine was a stick though.
Thanks for the memories

Well actually that color is not the original color, someone did a slapdash spray can job on it (I have to admit though they got it just about dead on marina blue!)
But inside the door jambs, inside the trunk, behind the dash pad, around the edge of the hood, etc it looks like the original color was pastel white. It originally had a lapis blue interior but they put black vinyl covers over the seats.
I am trying to decide now whether to repaint it the original pastel white or repaint it the marina blue, or just leave it as is.

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

We went over the brakes today, I have a new master cylinder to install but when we removed the old MC we discovered whoever installed it had not used the spacers required to take up the bulkhead space, so the bulkhead is deformed there a bit (got "squeezed") where they tightened the MC bolts. So I am going to wait until I have new spacers before installing the new MC.

We also (obviously) removed all the wheels and drums to inspect the shoes:

The front shoes still had pretty good material on them, but the backs were very thin, so I am going to buy a kit and replace all 4 as well as the flex lines at each corner. The metal lines and reservoir lines all look good though.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Sorry zundfolge I did not see you had already posted about this above!

My picture is better though Razz Very Happy

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

When we took the fuel tank out, we noticed this torn boot residing on the steering shaft:

Can anyone tell me exactly where this is supposed to go and if to cover the u-joint or something else? (Is that the other end of it up on the other side of the U-joint?)

1600 SP engine
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Pic shows the crushed bulkhead, whoever is doing this please stop.

Please explain the crushed bulkhead and what someone did and why they would do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

The bulkhead where the MC bolts through is hollow not solid. It's basically metal sides with about an inch of space in between. So when you tighten the MC bolts, if you don't have those spacers in there, the bulkhead gets "sandwiched." Only reason to not put the spacers in there is laziness.

1600 SP engine
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Only reason to not put the spacers in there is laziness.

or some are not aware they belong there and lose them when replacing the MC
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
The bulkhead where the MC bolts through is hollow not solid. It's basically metal sides with about an inch of space in between. So when you tighten the MC bolts, if you don't have those spacers in there, the bulkhead gets "sandwiched." Only reason to not put the spacers in there is laziness.

I think the word we are looking for is ignorant. Webster's defines ignorant as
Lacking knowledge or awareness in general, uneducated...The secondary definition describes said person or persons in a negative way, IE " That ignorant twit stole my beer"....I don't think a person would deliberately skip procedure or sabotage a machine on purpose unless they were a sociopath.. actually if you didn't know the spacers belonged there it would be easy to just drop them into the nether regions of the bulkhead and go on your merry way blissfully ignorant. I am ignorant of many things but I'll make an attempt to learn. Then there's willful ignorance and that means you don't know and you don't care, most of us don't fit that category. Very Happy I think laziness could be closely related to willful ignorance or just not giving a shit.

There's a thin line between being an asset or being an asshat. You can quote me on that. I've been accused of both.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Even if I didn't know they belonged there, as soon as I started bolting down the MC it's hard for me to believe I wouldn't know (or care) that I was crushing the bulkhead inward and stop.

Anyway I will just add these to the Bughaus list

http://www.bughaus.com/master_cylinder_bolt_spacer_-_113611829A.htm

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

How the hell do I get this paint overspray off these vinyl seat covers?? Whenever some PO rattle canned the car marina blue they didn't bother removing the seats or covers first. They are in really good shape otherwise and I would like to see about either reusing or selling them.

I have read a few threads on the subject and tried their suggestions (simple green and goo off to be exact) but they do not seem to be working. Any thoughts appreciated.

1600 SP engine
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

You must be careful if you consider using a solvent/thinner to remove the overspray. If you let the solvent sit on the surface more than a few seconds, it's possible that it will soften the vinyl and degrade the pattern. Maybe try a pumice-based hand cleaner lotion together with Magic Eraser, always trying a small section at a time. The ME won't get into the grooves within the vinyl pattern, so that you'll need to work the hand cleaner in with a soft bristle brush. I'm surprised goo-gone is not working...
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
You must be careful if you consider using a solvent/thinner to remove the overspray. If you let the solvent sit on the surface more than a few seconds, it's possible that it will soften the vinyl and degrade the pattern. Maybe try a pumice-based hand cleaner lotion together with Magic Eraser, always trying a small section at a time. The ME won't get into the grooves within the vinyl pattern, so that you'll need to work the hand cleaner in with a soft bristle brush. I'm surprised goo-gone is not working...

I've read in a few comments on websites selling the Goo Gone that is does a great job getting crud off of hard surfaces but not so much off fabric or uphosltery. I scrubbed it pretty hard with a brush but I was afraid I was going to damage the material if I went at it any harder.

I think I might try this stuff they sell at Lowe's called KrudKutter:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krud-Kutter-32-fl-oz-Spray-Multi-Surface-Paint-Remover/999947602

All their products seem to have rave reviews.

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 17

Jump to: