Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Man, that sucks. I'm going to at least spray the crap out of it w/rust converter internally, maybe treat it w/petroleum jelly as much as possible. I'm sure I can rig up a brush tool to reach the suspect spot. Let see how bad the rust is under the bubble...

Tim, do you know if a dash from a curved Super windshield convertible is the same fit as for a hard-top like this one?

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Victor, my best "guess" is the convertible is the same. But that's just a guess. They do make some nice covers that are relatively inexpensive. Mine has a cover. It was installed about ten years ago, and it still looks nice. Removing and reinstalling a complete dash looks like a lot of work, and a nice used dash may look okay now, but take into account that it has seen many years of sun, so it may only have a few years on it.

What's wrong with the cover on yours? I'll have to go back and look at the pics, but it seemed to look fine. If not, why not get a nice cover that fits well.

By the way, I think they moved the fuse box into the cab to help prevent fires during a front-end collision. Spilled gas from a ruptured gas tank, coupled with a hot wire or two is more likely to barbecue the car--and its occupants.

I read a book called Small On Safety. It mentions a host of safety issues with VW bugs. The Super Beetles--especially after 1973-- addressed many of these issues, including the relocation of the fuse box from the trunk.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Quote:
It's too bad that someone doesn't make aftermarket crescent vents that are solid,

There actually was! In the 90's I remembered seeing ads for such covers, made of aluminum and had horizontal ribs machined in the surface for style. One of those "80's Look" accessories. I bought a '77 Std Beetle in '95 which I wanted to make a '66 look. Those vent covers would've hidden them somewhat, painted in body color. But I never got around to buy a set, and then they seemed to disappear from the vendors.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Tim - or anyone else - I got the 2 small side screw covers and the screws off of the dash switch panel. But is there another trick to removing it? It seems to be snapped in tightly right in the area between the steering column and the base of the speedo ring. I'm afraid of forcing it and snapping the panel in half.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Victor, there are five screws holding the dash plate on. Two on each end, and one in the center, under a small, round plug that snaps off.

After you get all the screws off, walk the plate off the dash, toward you, of course, and grab each switch at their upper and lower tabs. Pinch the tabs and Wirral the switches.

You did unhook your battery, first, right? Shocked

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Yeah, battery's unhooked. I got the dash plate off but I can't figure out how on earth to get the radio out. No way I can fit my hand and arm in there, and I'd be afraid of disconnecting some of the wiring going in blind. I'm guessing I have to detach the fuse panel and reach up behind it form underneath the dash...either that or remove the dash!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Are there some tabs at either side of the radio that you can depress, and then pull the radio out? Maybe you can get a small mirror in there to see what hold the radio in.

The stock SB radio (curved screen) had a u-shaped bracket attached to the cowl that held the radio in place. I believe all you had to do was depress some side tabs and the radio pulled right out.

I haven't installed a cd/radio yet, so I'm not sure how the thing is done. Hopefully, someone with a modern cd/radio in their curved-screen SB can chime in. If they don't, you might want to start a new thread with pictures of your particular radio, and ask how to remove it.

Once you find out, get back here and let me know how it's installed, so when I get a radio this Christmas, I'll have all the info I need. Rolling Eyes

Worst case scenario, just cut the wiper harness and don't worry about going about messing with the harness from the cabin side. Just make darn sure when you reconnect the wires, you do a good job, including sealing up the connections really well, due to the water that gets into the air box.

But that's only if you can't find how to get the radio out. Surely there's a simpler way than removing your entire fuse box, etc.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I've thought about cutting it, believe me...hate to do that though. Last resort. I'll try searching the forum first then I'll start a separate radio thread and see I get any bites.

I'm half-tempted to remove the whole dash per my Clymer's manual's instructions...I'd probably live to regret it though. The harness looks pretty undisturbed, except for the push-button start.

Thanks!

Victor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

On the Superbeetlesonly site, Joel did a complete How-to on removing the dash on a curved-screen SB. He included lots of pictures and an explanation of the steps involved. It's a right-hand drive SB, but it's all the same. You just have to cross your eyes during the procedure.

However, I really don't think removal of the dash will be necessary. There has to be a simple way to extract the radio. Besides, I bet you have to remove the radio first, then remove the dash.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Ok, I got the radio out w/out taking the crazy step of removing the dash, and got the wiper motor out w/out cutting any wires. I did have to cut the conical grommet however to get the harness all the way out of the access hole.

Any idea what the bare red, green, purple and yellow wires are for? Can't be good to have them sitting back there like that.

Also - How can I detach the fuse block from underneath the dash? It's going to be a MF'er to reconnect the fan's power wire to fuse #10 if I can't get loosen up the fuse block.

Victor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Ok, I figured it out. There's a recessed machine screw on either side of the fuse panel. Undo them and it drops right off. And there's a mess of wires.

What is that black wire looped from one connector to another next to the lights relay? I'm guessing it's to bypass the seat belt interconnect.

And I figured out that the disconnected colored wires are for the stereo and there are a bunch that are just cut.

I'm tempted to completely remove this stereo since I have no documentation for it. I found that its power wire is part of the small black box from one of the early pictures and is connected to the #8 fuse. Probably a static suppressor or some such thing? Stereo sounds like shit so who knows if it works.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Victor, what a mess--except for that black jumper wire on the relay panel. Do NOT remove it, else the car won't start.

If you ruined the conical grommet, use latex caulking to plug the harness when reinstalling.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Ok, I figured it out. There's a recessed machine screw on either side of the fuse panel. Undo them and it drops right off. And there's a mess of wires.

What is that black wire looped from one connector to another next to the lights relay? I'm guessing it's to bypass the seat belt interconnect.

And I figured out that the disconnected colored wires are for the stereo and there are a bunch that are just cut.

I'm tempted to completely remove this stereo since I have no documentation for it. I found that its power wire is part of the small black box from one of the early pictures and is connected to the #8 fuse. Probably a static suppressor or some such thing? Stereo sounds like shit so who knows if it works.

*sigh* PO's using house wiring nuts. I hope you will replace those and fix it correctly? It sound like you want to have the correct wiring so i'm sure you will. Good luck with fixing it all.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Yep, those will be eliminated when I put it all back together.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
*sigh* PO's using house wiring nuts.

One sees EVERYTHING with old VWs !!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Victor, since I only have a radio plate (of my own making), I removed it to get the wiper motor out.

Can u post aid of that plate?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Can I post aid of that plate?

Do you mean the dimensions of the plate? Shocked

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Somehow, auto speller on this phone turned "a picture" into"aid"... Rolling Eyes

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Victor, here is a photo of my block-off plate.

The wood is 1/4 inch thick, smooth plywood, and measures 8 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches. It's a smooth-surface sheet of plywood that I got at Lowes, or Home Depot. I bought a sheet that was a foot or so by two feet. It wasn't expensive.

I only drilled two holes to attach it, as you can see from the picture. A cardboard template was used to get the holes where I wanted them, then I used the actual wood for the final drilling.

As you can see, the color doesn't match perfectly. I should have used a color with a bit more ebony, as my faux panels have a certain amount of black tone. After staining, I hit it with some semi-gloss clear.

I hope this helps.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Today I drained the transmission oil and removed the cracked mounts. I also made a very bad discovery - rust thru holes in the battery tray that had been covered up and I missed in my inspection. I removed the front seat, pealed back the carpet and started to chisel out the original floor insulation. I discovered that this stuff consisted of two layers of tar and brown paper sandwiching Styrofoam chips. I guess rust develops as the stuff gets brittle and moisture makes its way in. Anyway, I have a bad dilemma now since I have no welding skills or tools. I'll post a couple of pics later.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 48

Jump to: