Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!!
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

With all due respect to Asiab3's "Oops" thread, I couldn't resist.

I've been coveting a curved windshield Super forever, preferably a Sun Bug or a '75 La Grande w/the sunroof, but I gave up and can't afford the premium of the ones out west+ shipping.

Tim, I finally broke down and did it. Talk about buyer's remorse. Happens to me everytime I buy one of these old ACVWs. They always cost more than they're worth out here on the East Coast. Here it is:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My wife has named it "Jr" since it's "new" and younger than my '72. Me, i never give 'em names.

Body's in very good condition, it's the original color, *almost* all the electrical things work, runs well. Changed the oil in the FLAPS parking lot after buying it then drove it 325 miles home up from NC yesterday. Oil looks like it's been in for 3000 miles after that one trip....guess the motor must be pretty dirty. And the push rod tubes are leaking. Needs a new t-stat and is missing 3 pieces of engine tin - the small ones that go under the rear engine plate - and the stove pipe.

Here's the motor, AE-code 1600DP, mostly stock-ish, but w/a German Solex H30/31 carb and a funky-ass after-market SVA distributor.

It's this: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-043-905-205-EL

I had a spare German DVDA w/me just in case this crapped out on me, but I have to say it ran great. No hesitation whatsoever. Here's a quick video of what it sounded like this afternoon. Idling a little high. Oh, and it backfires out the exhaust when I'm at high revs in any gear and let off the gas. Just one big backfire. Not sure if that means it's lean, rich, or has an exhaust leak.

Link

There was one problem that developed during the trip as night fell. Fortunately I made it home before it became critical. The lights started to get dim, the turn signals became slow to come on when I used them, eventually the generator light would dim on in unison w/the flashing, and would come on dimly when I put on the brakes. So I drove it to Advanced Auto today for the alternator test, and both it and the battery checked out completely good even under load. 14.57 volts no-load, 13.8v w/the bright lights on. Any advice on how to properly troubleshoot this will be greatly appreciated!

Lot's to do on the car and I'm going to try and space it out - shocks/strut inserts all-around, repack/replace bearings, R&R brakes if necessary, fuel hoses, new CV boots, I think in need a new front tranny mount, and definitely have to replace the spring plate and torsion arm bushings. Oh, and the ignition is push-button: insert key, turn it to the On position, push the button. Works well, but I don't like that, will probably look at reverting to factory.

Here are a few other pics for the record. I'll need to trace all of the wires going from the hot terminal on the battery. My '72 only has the one going to the starter solenoid, if I recall.

Stay tuned for more. This will be a slow upgrade process of the many parts that have been poorly maintained.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I think you did fine. Those issues are all fixable.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Yep, that's why I took the leap. Nothing I haven't done before.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Oh my. You're killing me, vam. Gentian and Marina blue in one shot!! Drool

oemwolf
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Damn dude loving that blue! Wink
Looks like a solid bug!

It bothers me how close that bare braided wire from the starter solenoid to the starter motors metal grounded body is.

Maybe its just the camera angle?

Also, I cant recommend more than enough the oil filled Sachs brand strut inserts and shocks I put on my 71' super for a nice smooth super beetle ride.

Links to 74' year parts:

Front:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3519138&cc=1285758&jsn=365

Rear:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3520542&cc=1285758&jsn=356

5% off coupon code: 4968993037543882

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Congratulations, Victor! It looks really good. I have always loved that light blue. You got a nice bug.

You never replied to my reply about the last one you were interested, but I see you must have passed on. Good move.

You might clean all your grounds--battery and transmission, as well as lights and turn signal.

I'm very happy with my Volkzbitz-restored 34pict3 (German Solex) and Bosch SVDA 034 combination. They are the original pairing, so maybe that's why they work so well together.

Once you get the front end dialed in, you'll love the ride.

I can help you with many 1974 issues, I've had to deal with, so don't hesitate to ask. The front end is a bit different. Some parts are easier to deal with, others, like removing the ball joints, require a few tricks to press out. If you have to redo brakes, go ahead and get front discs. I did a panic stop this Saturday, and I locked those tires up quite nicely Rolling Eyes .

So ... show some pictures of the dash and interior, trunk, etc.

By the way, the engine looks nice. Did it run nice and strong? I hope so. Transmission shift well?

Do you really have to change bearings, cv boots? or are these just maintenance issues you want to deal with?

Anyway, I think you picked a nice one.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I just looked at it again. The battery looks new. Do you have the positive-clamp plastic protector that came with it? If not, try to find an aftermarket rubber boot. You don't want a horsehair fire.

Also, check the air filter element when doing your maintenance stuff.

And does it have a sunroof? I couldn't tell. Hopefully not. Mine was a bitch to get working properly.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Thanks all for the complements. Yeah I love the marina blue as well. Sad part about all of this is that, once it's all sorted out, one of the 2 will end up in the classifieds...

Duncan, thanks for the links and the code. I'm definitely going oil inserts and moving the strut bar from the '72 to this one. I have sport springs on the 72 so the strut bar is really overkill. Btw, why r u worried about the braided wire? Don't you see the inspection sticker on the solenoid...? Wink

Tim, I REALLY wanted a sun roof bug. They're just almost extinct out here. The passenger side outer cv boot is torn and the others are dried out and cracked. The passenger side axle has a lot of left to right play in it too. My guess is they haven't been touched in a decade at least. Brake fluid is brown too, like it's old and contaminated. Front bearings sounded a bit noisy to me at highway speeds ...if that's what I was hearing. But I have to say there is absolutely no shimmy at all in front, just worn shocks and spongy brakes. The passenger side ball joint boot is dried and torn so I'm sure I'll be replacing those as well, so any tips for pressing them out and new ones in at home are appreciated.

I'll post more pictures over the next few days.

Victor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I didn't press out my ball joints. I had a pro do it (I don't own a press). He took a grinder wheel and he carefully removed some of the lower edges of the ball joints, because the edges are so close to the control-arm edge ends that you can't get a bite, otherwise. He did this with the control arms completely removed, by the way.

I got all my front-end stuff from Topline, and have been very pleased with everything.

And I've only opened my sunroof a few times since fixing it twice to open and close properly. I guess I don't really like the sun on my head Cool .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

This is definitely wrong - 16 amp fuses across the board, where only 8 amps should live? Could this have any thing to do w/the generator light coming on dimly after a few minutes of driving w/the headlights on?

Any idea what the wire I have traced in red is? There's no tack on the car, so i'm not sure what else uses the - side of the coil other than the condenser wire.

Since i'm on electrical, this is externally regulated, right? Any compelling reason to go to an internally regulated alternator?

The original owner's manual, w/the original owner's name and address still on the opening pages. Looks like it's been an NC car all its life, until this past Sunday that is. I love shit like this.

Looks like an after market dash cover to me. Can any of you w/more knowledge of these tell?

And are these original seat covers? I think the door cards are but i'm not sure about these.

Victor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

You should only have two 16 amp fuses--9 and 10. These are your interior light for 9, and your wipers, fresh air fan, and rear window defogger for 10.

The dash cover is an aftermarket cover. Unless someone parked the car in a garage for 42 years, all of us have a cover. It's no biggie, but I haven't seen one with a screw at the bottom. Some PO thing, I guess.

The seats appear to be too cushy for original horsehair. They look pretty nice, though. How do they move on the tracks? When I first got my car, if you went to adjust them, the seats slid all the way off the tacks. And they rocked like a mother. Fortunately, the PO had the spring brackets to attach under the cent front of the seats to keep them from sliding off. And Wolfgang International has the best seat sliders, so I installed them and no more rocking.

That wire might be something for your old diagnostic system. It could only be that or a tach wire that's not hooked up.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

If the regulator under your back seat is okay, no big reason to go with an internally regulated. It's not difficult to install the internally regulated ones when the time comes, though.

Where's your ashtray?

And what radio cd do you have? I want to install one, and I want one that will fit in the space without any cutting or fit meant issues.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Looks really solid, that is the color my 73 originally was and after seeing yours my mind is pretty made up to go back to marina blue!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Tim, the ashtray was sitting on the floor in that picture. The radio's a Sony that has USB and XM options. I'm not sure if the dash was cut to fit it however, and the speakers the PO put in suck. Also, I don't think he wired it to keep the memory so it loses the stations every time I turn off the car.

I'm concerned that the fuses were all but one swapped out to 16 amp ones. One of the various things I missed in my examination pre-purchase. Would that have anything to do w/the lights dimming as I drive? The alternator and battery tested good, if I'm to trust AdvancedAuto's test equipment...

Hatracks, thanks. I do really like the color. As for solid...generally. The rear suspension is pretty worn from neglect, I doubt the bushings have ever been replaced. Brakes are rough, needs shocks all around.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Btw, I meant to ask anyone who knows - how do I replace the small map reading light in the dash?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Victor, you made me laugh when I read the part about the small map light. Mine still works, but the light it throws is pitiful.

I don't see how any good, well-contacted 16 amp fuses would cause your lights to dim. They just allow electricity to pass through them. However, when you replace them all with good brass ones, clean the contact prongs well. I can see that some of the 16 amp ones are thick aluminum. I get brass. Also, that one 8 amp one you have looks very old.

Hopefully, Ashman will chime in on your electrical issues. My electrical experience is limited to simple wiring. My layman's guess--if all grounds are clean--is the alternator.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Yeah, but I like it and want it to work! Smile [/b]

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Victor, the light bulb is a N177512. It's a 1.2 watt wheat-grass bulb--the same one that goes into your hazard and defroster switches, and brake warning display on the dash. Switching out the brake warning bulb is easy. You just pop off the red facing plate and carefully grab the tiny bulb with needle-nose pliers. Installation is just a matter of pushing the new bulb in the hole. However, the defroster and hazard switches require you to remove the wood-grain (or black) dash piece that's above the column (5 screws), then remove the switches. Fairly easy.

But the map light (actually a light that was supposed to illuminate your heater/defrost handles) is another matter. It's in the dash, itself--not the easily removable dash plate. I tried to see how the little bugger is attached to the dash, from the inside, but there was a wad of wiring in my way. And I was afraid to pull on the collar from the outside to see if would simply pop out; so no help there.

Why not, first, using a mirror and light, see if you can get a clear view from under the dash. The wiring male ends may simply have come loose. Although, sticking the female ends back on would be a day's endeavor, no doubt.

This is one to put off until after the last dog dies, I think Shocked .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I forgot to ask, how are your windshield wipers and fuel gauge? When I first got my bug, the wipers were slow and extra slow. My fuel gauge system needed a new sender, vibrator, and gauge.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Fuel gauge is actually very good, better than on my '72. Wipers are slow and I have them on my list as a rebuild/refresh item.

Btw - i bought one of those replacement fuel gauge "vibrators" from WW about a year ago...DOA. Used it to replace the one on my '72 and fresh out of the box no go. Had to put the original back on to at least get some reading.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 48

Jump to: