Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
The idle dropped when you covered the intake boot? Or did it speed up? ...

... Looks like the engine is coming out again for this job. ..

Too bad you’re not in California. Warmer weather here, although it’s a bit windy today.

Tim

Hmmph, rub it in willya. I *think* i can do this w/out dropping the engine...just wont' be much fun.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Victor, I did it with the engine out. It wasn’t much fun. Moving the manifold out of and back into position was the real bitch. Also, managing the two manifold end pieces—getting to the nuts at the head, and tightening them back again—not easy, even with the engine out.

But, give it a shot with the engine in. You might have a lesser tolerance for being pissed off than I do Cool .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Yep, I'm going to give it a shot, engine in car. In the meantime, while i wait for the new boots to arrive, a friend recommended a temp fix brake cleaner to clean the bad boot followed by a silicone sealer. All i want to do for now is test the brakes so just need it to hold for a short time.

Anyone ever try the (gasp) split boots that can be installed without taking apart the manifold...?
Anxious

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Anyone ever try the (gasp) split boots that can be installed without taking apart the manifold...?
Anxious

I've never tried those split boots, but I might be tempted if the need arose.

When I rebuilt my original 1971 engine last year, I bought new boots "just because" the factory ones were so old. But they still looked good, so I slipped those up the manifold as "spares" so I could slide them down into position and use those if necessary.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Victor, I’d try the split boots for now. If it works, it works. In the Spring, after the weather is reasonable, you can install the proper boots.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

For a TEMPORARY fix, i cleaned the "holy boot" with brake clean, then used ultra-copper RTV to seal the side w/the torn half section (RTV'd all the way around the boot), and let it cure for 24 hours.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I yanked on it a few times by hand to validate that it was holding to the boot, and Yes, it's ugly as shit but guess what - it worked!! Cranked right up, all 4 cylinders happily chugging away like before. I let it idle for 20 minuites. Revved it up a few times to 3-4k, no leak, no stumble at idle.

Tomorrow I'll drive it to see how the brakes feel w/the new MC...and if the RTV survives 30 minutes around the neighborhood, I may drive to Buggy Man 20 miles south to get replacement boots! Pray Smile

Hands-down, this is the biggest hack i've ever done on a Bug.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Just like filling a cavity ... without Novocain.

If it works, it works.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Worked. Holds w/out a problem. I'll replace w/new intake boots when the weather warms up.

Now I gotta figure out why the fuel gauge stopped working. Rolling Eyes Registers to the left of empty, the needle doesn't even move. I pulled the speedo thinking I may have disconnected something when I replaced the speedometer cable a month ago, but everything is connected as it was. Sigh.... Sad

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Ground the power wire at the sender to see if the gauge moves. If not, the vibrator and/or gauge is probably shot.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Problem solved. Very Happy When I removed the trunk liner, both wires were disconnected from the sender. I had placed a rather heavy box on tip of this area of the trunk when i parked the car over a month ago. It included 2 rear drums. Its weight was probably enough to push the connectors out of the slots. Glad i didn't strip them out! Rolling Eyes

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Problem solved. Very Happy When I removed the trunk liner, both wires were disconnected from the sender. I had placed a rather heavy box on tip of this area of the trunk when i parked the car over a month ago. It included 2 rear drums. Its weight was probably enough to push the connectors out of the slots. Glad i didn't strip them out! Rolling Eyes

Lol Very Happy. Wish my gas gauge misbehavior was as simple as that!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Finally broke down and filled the hole in my dash w/a $40 Pyle radio, just like in the '72 Super. Has bluetooth, aux, SD cards slot and USB. Can't beat it, for what I need.

I really wanted to install oil temp and pressure and voltage gauges in the radio slot, but have to make $$ choices at the moment. I'll have to replace both sets of window scrapers over the next couple of months, so gauges will wait for another day.

Oh...i'm still running w/the intake manifold seal repaired w/ultra copper silicone....I'll change that in April....maybe.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

It looks good, Victor. I got the trim piece in mine after showing off the stereo in one of my posts awhile back. It makes for a clean look, but I had to file off some inner flanges to make it fit.

Installing the scrapers isn’t too hard, but take care. The new inner scrapers are a bit more tricky than the outer ones. You need to line them up very well, or else you’ll bend the crap out of those flanges. And since they’re only four of those bendy pieces, you don’t want one getting screwed up.

I got my scrapers from Wolfsburg West. They’re pretty good, but not as perfectly fitting as the originals. Still, they’re the best out there.

Use mnusbau’s Regulator How-To for reference. That thread helped a lot.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Thanks Tim. I normally buy scrapers from Westcoast Metric and will probably do so again this time around. They are a pain, I did them on the '72 and the '62 too a few years back. But I generally learn from the experiences and have an easier time each time (except for the damn headliner). The radio only took me about an hour and half! Took me much longer on the '72. I think the wires are easier to access on the '74.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Had developed a clunk when letting of the gas suddenly, over the last couple of weeks. If you've followed this, you'll remember that I replaced the tranny and engine mounts early on. I raised the rear and and checked everything, everything's bolted down solid, no loose cv joints or other things.

Moved to the front and started shaking things around. I hadn't looked at the front because this car has not shimmy. There's a tiny amount of play in the idler arm bushing, but minor. Turns out this guy was bad -

The driver-side centerlink tie-rod end was shot. Pictured is the "new" one. On the bad one, I could push up and down on the bar and it went in and out at the fat boot end, as if whatever holds it hard in place had broken inside the fat part of the end. I think this was a factory centerlink too, based on comparing memory to cheap after-market ones I've seen.

I replaced it w/another orginal VW one that I know is good and had pulled from my other Super. We'll see tomorrow on the work commute if the bad end was indeed the source of the clunk.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Supers have the wider track in front which always feels like it would rather turn around and go backward under power. Stresses the joints.
But that early '71 I had was the smoothest ride I've owned.

People tend to over-tighten the intake boot clamps while stretching the boots. Holding the clamp opposite the screw side while tightening helps too.

The main appeal for me with a Ghia is room on both sides to work on the motor!

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Use mnusbau’s Regulator How-To for reference. That thread helped a lot.

Tim

Thanks for that tip Tim-
I have needed to install new window scrapers for years-- they are still the original ones and are basically shredded. Also recently my driver's window has become quite stiff to try to roll up/ down so that whole thread will prove very beneficial.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:

People tend to over-tighten the intake boot clamps while stretching the boots. Holding the clamp opposite the screw side while tightening helps too.

Are you referring to the after-market split boots?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Volswagon wrote:

Are you referring to the after-market split boots?

Referring to the one in the pic above. I've seen as many problems with the orange ones as the black ones, usually a heavier aftermarket manifold that's only supported by the boots. Add the pull of the throttle cable against a heavy return spring and split boots you will have.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Back to the clunk...got rid of the front clunk, still having a loud clunk when I let off the gas if I was accelerating. Managed to get this video:

Link

Broken left rear engine mount...?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 49

Jump to: