Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Vocho, start a new thread on your issue.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Victor, I got new metal crush ones from Wolfgang International. They were perfect. No vacuum issues. These were for the manifold, as well as the heat risers. I believe the manifold ones are 14 ft. lbs., but I may be wrong.

Have fun replacing with the engine in. Yikes!

The inner scraper appears to be a little wonky. Did you trim the front end to relax it? Or is the glass just rubbing on the new rubber.

Lastly, that weird about the vent wing rubber. Maybe you can tap the rubber with a rounded block of wood and hammer—carefully, so as not to bung up the new scraper trim.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

74Vocho, you need to start a separate thread about your own topic. Welcome to the samba.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Back to the topic at hand, I'm going to clean out the pilot jet before tackling replacing the intake gaskets. Maybe the pilot jet just got bummer up while the car sat.... Pray

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Ok - new intake manifold gaskets in. And yes, Tim - i did it w/the engine IN the car, ww/out removing the shroud OR the deck-lid!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Took it for the 1st drive after all this work - master cylinder, clutch disk, spring plate, TO, intake boots and gaskets, rear tranny/engine mounts. Felt very good. Clunk is gone (new rhino engine mounts), and I can feel the difference between the old clutch and this one. We'll be putting it to the test tomorrow on the 130 mile each way drive to the Bug Out in Petersburg, VA. I'll be driving the '72 Super, wife following me in this one. Got my fingers crossed.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Ok - new intake manifold gaskets in. And yes, Tim - i did it w/the engine IN the car, ww/out removing the shroud OR the deck-lid!

So, just another day's work to "Save the Supers" right?

Well done Vamram. I'm immensely impressed you did that without dropping the engine. Inspirational, you are Very Happy
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Thanks, every dog has his day as they say! Very Happy

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Good luck on the trip. Good luck with selling something, too.

Tomorrow, I’m headed down to Sacramento for Bugorama. Lots of acvw’s, VW drag racing, and a swap meet with so many vendors, I don’t even check them all out. The temperature won’t be over 90 F, so it looks like both of us will have a nice day.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Let me know what's on the market out there!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I never thought of that. They do have a “car for sale” area. I’ll check it out. Who knows, maybe The Chico Bug will be there Rolling Eyes .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Ok, well, put it to the test today and it rocked. 285+ mile round trip to the Bug Out south of Petersburg VA and drove like a champ. I can really tell the difference w/the new clutch. The old one must've been slipping like crazy and i just didn't know enough to tell. Here's my wife Anita driving it along w/our doggie Ginger.

Thanks all for you input in this thread. I think it's no longer an "i just bought a '74 super thread." Especially since i just sold the '72!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Ok, well, put it to the test today and it rocked. 285+ mile round trip to the Bug Out south of Petersburg VA and drove like a champ. I can really tell the difference w/the new clutch. The old one must've been slipping like crazy and i just didn't know enough to tell.

Good to hear V! Glad you got it all sorted!

vamram wrote:

Is that the "Cone of Shame"?
Poor Ginger...

vamram wrote:

Thanks all for you input in this thread. I think it's no longer an "i just bought a '74 super thread." Especially since i just sold the '72!

As always, I look forward to reading the next chapter in....
"Vamram Saves the Supers!"
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

Good to hear V! Glad you got it all sorted!

Thanks! Hopefully going forward is just scheduled maintenance....some cosmetics...and maybe I'll rebuild the engine one of these days...

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

vamram wrote:

Is that the "Cone of Shame"?
Poor Ginger...

Yes it is! She just got spayed.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
As always, I look forward to reading the next chapter in....
"Vamram Saves the Supers!"

Crack me up! Very Happy Whatever I pick up to replace the '72 will get it's own write up. And it WILL DEFINITELY be a Super!

Blue Bug Blue Bug Blue Bug

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Every time I see those sport wheels I remember how annoying it can be to remove the rear hub nuts with them. I suppose a stock spare wheel can be put on when needed for that job.
How long does she have to wear the itchycone?

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Another 2-3 days with the cone. I always take the wheels off to remove the hub, and use the torque meister for that.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Sorry for the doublepost. My idle has suddenly dropped to 800 or less. I checked the point gap, perfect, but timing was down to 7.0 BTDC at idle. I adjusted it up, checked for vacuum leaks, cleaned the idle port and re-adjusted the carb from scratch and rechecked the timing. Timing seems to be shifting w/the idle adjustment, I ended up leaving it a 8.0 BTDC.

These points had about 5,200 miles on them. Gap was good but they're looking worn/pitted. I used a penny to clean off some of the roughness, but this didn't really improve the idle today. So on DurocShark's recommendation I went ahead and replaced the points. But more than the points - i found that the 034 had a LOT of vertical play in the shaft, almost 1/4" so I swapped in a 205 AN I rebuilt a while back and have points in it. Running great - 29* advance at 3300rpm, vacuum port plugged; 42* full advance w/the advance connected. I added my spare 205C (rebuilt by fellow Samba-ite Bill) w/a brand new Hot Spark module as my backup for when these points crap out.

Looking forward to driving it to work tomorrow.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Welp, decided to park this car in March/April after driving it for 3.5 years and started to drive my "newly-built" '73 Super. I put over 30k miles on the '74 driving it year-round and the engine had started to burn oil a few months ago, the clutch was slipping badly (the flywheel o-ring was damaged and hard), and either the rear end is sagging now or the shocks have worn out, and I have to address some rust bubbles on the front quarter panels.

So I parked it, dropped and disassembled the engine and it and its components are in various states of getting cleaned for paint, rebuild etc.

I took the case to have it align bored at evwparts up in Severna Park, MD. Case was previously bored and was at 40 so this round went to 60. He also measured the crank journals and found them to be about 10 under, so got appropriate new crank and rod bearings, and cam bearings. Oh, the case also needed to be thrust cut.

I want to make this an inexpensive build. I'll just be building it stock 1600dp, nothing fancy, not opening up the heads for thick-walled 88s or anything. I think the heads may be reusable as they are, the valves seat nicely in the seats (i filled the chambers w/gas and let them sit like that for 10 minutes, no leak.), I have to remove the springs to check the valve guides. Tops of the stems are even across both heads too, no stretched valve I think...

What do you guys think about the lobes on the original VW cam? I'd like to reuse it if it's still good. Haven't measured the lobes yet, I'll do that tomorrow.

I also bought new lifters, ditched the old ones shown here.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

A set of stock valves and springs is so relatively inexpensive, I'd consider throwing them in as long as it's already apart for this rebuild. It will be fun to follow along. I hope to build an engine this winter so this was a well timed motivation.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Cheap is the key here Buggee. If the cam and heads are good, I won't have to drop more than another $250 on the build....

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I'd had an issue w/the car back in January or so where the flange seal/cap of the left transmission drive flange had gone bad and CV grease and transmission fluid mixed, causing a noisy cv joint or R&P. I fixed that but still had noise from the trans or CV following the repair. I thought the CV looked good and just cleaned and repacked it and replaced the transmission fluid. Anyway, I checked the transmission fluid today and was about to drain it to remove and replace this trans, but it looked clean, not contaminated. So I left it. Hopefully the noise *was* the CV joint and I'll know after I get the car back on the road in several months, as I'm not really sure how to test it w/the engine out and the car on jack stands.

All that to say that I power washed the rear underside of the car - trans, wheel wells, underside of the package tray.

Also, i'm going to replace the fiberglass repair I did of the driver-side rear pan edge w/real metal, now that I am able to do that bit of rudimentary welding.

Next on the list however is going to be removing the rear shocks to see if they're any good since the rear end was bottoming out on bumps in the weeks before I parked it, then perhaps re-index the rear torsion bars to bring the tail up a bit. Early on in this build I replaced the rear spring plate bushings w/rubber ones from Wolfsburg West or Westcoast Metric. I think they're the same. Anyway they have 30k on them, and I'm curious to see how they've held up after 3+ years.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 49

Jump to: