Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Got the 3-4 side of the block assembled. Lower cylinder tin in place, heads torqued to 23lbs per Bentley. Wondering about this however. There's a gap of sorts where the base of the head meets the outer-most fin of the cylinder, about .046" of the cylinder sleeve is visible. This is uniform across both cylinders, it's fully inserted and torqued. Is this a problem??

That's normal, its fine.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
vamram wrote:
Got the 3-4 side of the block assembled. Lower cylinder tin in place, heads torqued to 23lbs per Bentley. Wondering about this however. There's a gap of sorts where the base of the head meets the outer-most fin of the cylinder, about .046" of the cylinder sleeve is visible. This is uniform across both cylinders, it's fully inserted and torqued. Is this a problem??

That's normal, its fine.

Thanks Thomas!

And of course, the replacement AA piston arrived in today's mail....It will go on the shelf. Or does anyone need a spare 88mm tw AA piston....?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Well I got the long block assembled. Including the "stock" repro AA rods, used the Bentley torque specs for everything. Then I read in a different thread that AA rods should be torqued to 29-31 lbs...mine are at 24. Sad

I checked w/that vendor. He replied that these AA rods are torqued to 35!!! UGH. I HAVE TO SPLIT THE F*ING CASE AGAIN?!!??!! d'oh! d'oh! WTF??? 29-35?? Split the difference?? Maybe I can just take the heads and cylinders off and torque them thru the holes w/out splitting the case...or dropping a socket in it....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Oh man I remember splitting the case so many times! Hang in there brother. Wink
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

What kills me about this is I've put 8.5k miles on my '73 Super's engine since last April, with the same rods, at the Bentley spec torque. I've had zero engine issues, even after a couple of long road trips up and down the East coast. Pray I'm half tempted to run w/this one as-is too. And an engineer friend of mine whom I respect very much as a VW engine builder has said to just run w/it as is....but I don't think I can handle the anxiety now of having this information... Confused

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I have new connecting rods from CB in my latest engine, and I checked and used the torque values recommended by CB.

I can't say if in your shoes I would take stuff apart either.

"If" you did want to re-torque without splitting the engine case, and are concerned about a socket dropping off the extension into the case, you can buy locking extensions; I have some, and like them. Called 3/8 in. Drive Quick-Release Extension Bar Set

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-quick-re...ouEALw_wcB
[/img]
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Cusser. I'm going to pick up a set of those up and torque them down further w/out splitting the case. Just so frustrating - having to re-extend push rod tubes, remove heads and jugs after the copper RTV is set, cleaning the set copper RTV from the case and cylinders and then re-applying it, reassembling, etc...real freaking PITA. Better than a thrown rod on a run up Bear Mountain though... Evil or Very Mad

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Did you use Loctite?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Did you use Loctite?
No. Is that a must...? [EDIT] I ask because most of the threads that pop up when I search for "loctite" in the performance forum seem to fall on the side of no loctite on the rod bolt threads because it affects the accuracy of the torque settings for the bolts.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Back in VA and started working and driving again. Remeved heads and P&Cs and retorqued the the rod bolts to a higher value than the 24lbs original torque stated in Bentley for factory rods. I got an answer from AA that they needed to be 35ft lbs. Another member in the forum got a reply for 38ft lbs. Mar tucker posted in a performance forum thread to go 29ft lbs. My mechanical engineer friend and highly respected engine builder - this guy measures EVRYTHING,cuts his own push rods and so on and so forth - thinks 35 is too high. The numbers are all over the place. Sooooo.....i split the difference and went 32. Rolling Eyes

I am concerned about the motor I rebuilt last year and am running in my '73 because I used the same AA rods torqued to the Bentley specs. Motor runs great after 8.5k miles but now I'm paranoid that I'm going to end up destroying it one day because the rod bolts are going to come loose. Anxious Crying or Very sad

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Hi Vamram - As a mech engineer, I’ve sent a large number of bolted assemblies through shock, vibration, temperature cycling, and service load life cycling until failure. I can say that torquing fasteners to spec (and no higher) is extremely important for success. And over torquing fasteners is high risk. Over torquing is most likely to cause high torque loss and clamp force reduction because the combination of high torque stress and service load stress exceeds the elastic limit of the assembly. In other words- the nuts and bolts permanently deform and stretch. I hope this helps.

On a related note, I think Loctite Corp has spread a lot of questionable information in their zeal to market their products for all-metal assemblies.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Thanks Lost69....so you're saying to take it to 35...?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I'm reluctant to recommend a specific torque because I don't have experience with your exact parts.

But the difference between VW's use of 24 lb-ft with original parts and 38 ib-ft recommended for aftermarket parts is concerning to me. That's more than a 50% increase.

If I was in your situation, I'd tend towards using a lower torque value, closer to the VW specification.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:
I'm reluctant to recommend a specific torque because I don't have experience with your exact parts.

But the difference between VW's use of 24 lb-ft with original parts and 38 ib-ft recommended for aftermarket parts is concerning to me. That's more than a 50% increase.

If I was in your situation, I'd tend towards using a lower torque value, closer to the VW specification.

Why would you go against the manufacturer's torque advice? Trying to compare the properties of a VW conrod and bolts versus an aftermarket set without knowing the metallurgy and properties of either and then recommending using a lower torque only because VW said so, is not good advice.

VW engineers knew what the correct torque was to prevent plastic deformation of their bolts given the metallurgical composition. I would assume that if AA or any other aftermarket producer said to torque to a certain value that they would have studies to back this up. Otherwise they could find themselves with a lot of unhappy customers or law suits.

VAMRAM. You also need to find out whether the torque values are dry or oiled with the new conrod bolts. It does makes a difference.

Regarding most threadlockers. They are essentially a cyanoacrylate type glue in a lot of cases (read super-glue). They would make virtually no difference to the torque value unless a dry torque value is quoted. Like all these products you should be looking at the Technical Data Sheet (TDS) for specifics.

Finally regardless of which torque value you go with you MUST measure the bearing crush to ensure you maintain the appropriate bearing to crankshaft clearance. The use of plasti-gauge is the normal way to do this.

My recommendation is to go with the manufacturer's advice. If you use an arbitary number like Lost69Convertible is quoting then you will have the same doubt that you have today i.e. did I under-torque my conrods.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Took a break for long-block re-assembly to begin addressing other issues on ol' '74.

First the brakes. Rears were almost down to barely over 1mm at the top half of the rear passenger-side shoe. I managed to put close to 20k miles on these. This is before disassembly, when I cleaned, primered and painted the backing plate and drum w/VHT caliper paint. New wheel cylinders, shoes and spring kit ready for installation, after cleaning and treating the new wheel cylinders w/the ATE brake paste.

On the front, going w/a Topline disc conversion. Kit is a breeze to install.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Quote:
This is before disassembly, when I cleaned, primered and painted the backing plate and drum w/VHT caliper paint
Will you treat us with an "after" photo? Are you using conventional rear shoes, or upgraded such as aircooled.net's "Super Stoppers"? You probably made sure that all 4 of the shoe adjusting star wheels rotate freely, and lubed them...
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Lol, yes I'll post pics when the rear brakes are put together with shiny new parts and the painted back plate, adjusting stars all nice. Just shoes from rockauto, nothing fancy.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Victor, the front disc is beautiful! You’ll love them!

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Yeah, Tim I hadn't seriously considered them until I got my '73 Super on the road last year. The previous owner had installed them but never driven it.
The difference is mind-boggling, so I figured it's time to show ol' '74 a little love.

Here you go Rome. First, a sample of the corroded pistons from one of the old wheel cylinders. They were pretty much all four the same.

And the finished product, all nice and clean. The paint is just to provide some protection to the metal of course since no one will ever see it outside of this picutre.

Next on the agenda for ol' '74 is some electrical rewiring. I had a parasitic drain somewhere before parking it that I never successfully traced. I suspect the way I wired my USB/12v-socket add-on connector may be partly to blame so I'll be re-doing it's wiring to match how I did it on the '73. Also want to wire the unused #7 fuse spot for power as I did on my '73.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

'Atta way with the brake reconditioning, vamram!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 49

Jump to: