Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show me your USB chargers
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

I have space that the PO had an AC outlet behind the drivers seat. I want to use this spot for a USB/12v charging station that runs off of my AUX battery.

I saw some one on Amazon but I wondered what you guys might have and like.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Show me hour USB chargers Reply with quote

Without seeing on what you want to do is kinda shooting into the sky and hoping you hit something. Use anything from Blue Sea. I am farting around with interior lights and charging now. Me I stay away from cheapo stuff that needs some planning. Permanent mounting I only want to do it one time. And are you talking about USB 2.0 or the new one?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Show me hour USB chargers Reply with quote

You could cut the plug off any of these and wire directly to your battery.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=sear...ng+station

Last edited by PDXWesty on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me hour USB chargers Reply with quote

the world is about to switch to USB-C so an easily upgradable solution will be a good idea
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me hour USB chargers Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
the world is about to switch to USB-C so an easily upgradable solution will be a good idea

This is exactly why I most often put in a conventional cigarette lighter socket.... Plug and play, easily updating as needed.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

The power source USB sockets will remain USB A for the foreseeable future. Just as you now have USB A to mini-USB and micro-USB charging cables, there are USB A to USB C cables. This is unlikely to change anytime soon.

So I've got 4 dual USB A outlets, and 4 12V ciggie outlets all switchable between aux or main battery, plus 2 more 12V ones that are only on when the engine's running. The latter used for either heating pads for the seats, or for fan-cooled seat covers.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Thanks you guys. Food for thought. I don’t really follow this stuff so USB-C is new to me.

I have a watch, bike computer, heart rate monitor, phone, flashlight etc etc that need USB so a USB A will be useful. However as Dave said I may do one 12v socket or two. I could just plug in a USB to that.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

The 12V connections are very useful for battery chargers, tire inflators, portable solar panels, vacuum cleaners etc.
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

This charger is a great option. It can output 2.4A per port for charging high current devices such as ipads etc.

http://amzn.to/2d4By14

It is also available in a switch panel version which will fit into any contura mounting plate such as the one below. These can be installed in any flat surface, and just snap into place in a correctly sized hole.

http://amzn.to/2dANDtD
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Stephenmarklay wrote:
I have space that the PO had an AC outlet behind the drivers seat. I want to use this spot for a USB/12v charging station that runs off of my AUX battery.

I saw some one on Amazon but I wondered what you guys might have and like.

What is your interior layout going to be? Westy cabinets or seating?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

When camped we have cell phones to charge, cameras, ipads, and use these for plugging in electric fans, computers, etc. They are each fused separately and connected to the house bank batteries.

It works for us...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

While not a great picture but you can see my USB charging ports sticking out of the heater allows charging of 2 devices and is powered from the switched power in the fuse box.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

These are dual USB outlets. It's actually a cig-lighter socket with a USB insert but it's sold as a USB outlet. They cost about $4 each.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

I find this works for me. But I recently saw another that had the USB ports on the top which makes more sense with the table in place. I didn't see that when I was making it as we don't use the table much and often leave it at home. But I'll make a new one with USB up top.

The USB voltmeter combo is a cheap one from banggood. What I also need to do with it is add a switch so it's not always on. The voltmeter illumination is quite bright at night.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

USB-c is the new high bandwidth standard for phones. The small end is different but he big size is unchanged (or backward compatible)
I would have no worries about hard wiring what we all know as a full size USB.
Its been here for 20yrs now, and I suspect it will stick around for another 20 if for nothing more than a small 12v plug.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
When camped we have cell phones to charge, cameras, ipads, and use these for plugging in electric fans, computers, etc. They are each fused separately and connected to the house bank batteries.

It works for us...

Thanks you guys. I am going to do this. It seems like the most versatile. I am going to put in another AC box like to had and then get a blank cover plate. Then I will drill out two holes and put in a couple of these.
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
I find this works for me. But I recently saw another that had the USB ports on the top which makes more sense with the table in place. I didn't see that when I was making it as we don't use the table much and often leave it at home. But I'll make a new one with USB up top.

Couldn't you just flip it upside down?
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

I like this by CVC by I haven't bought it yet. I may make my own with a voltmeter.
http://campervanculture.com/shop/westfalia-fridge-vent-plate-with-high-quality-power-points-grey/

From their site:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
mugford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Just remember to test the no-load current consumption of whatever solution you chose. Even without an obvious LED on it, the internal electronics will draw power converting 12 to 5V and presents a parasitic load that will drain you battery over the long term.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

I realise I didn't 'show' my outlets:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: