Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show me your USB chargers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
I realise I didn't 'show' my outlets:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dang your covered. I did the same with my fresh water outlet.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

figborg wrote:
I like this by CVC by I haven't bought it yet. I may make my own with a voltmeter.
http://campervanculture.com/shop/westfalia-fridge-vent-plate-with-high-quality-power-points-grey/

From their site:

I am glad you posted this. I am ordering it today. I will run the wires today also while my fridge is still out.
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Stephenmarklay wrote:

I am glad you posted this. I am ordering it today. I will run the wires today also while my fridge is still out.

I see you have an 85 van. It comes in brown as well:
http://campervanculture.com/shop/westfalia-fridge-vent-plate-with-high-quality-power-points-brown/
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Altoona wrote:
ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
I find this works for me. But I recently saw another that had the USB ports on the top which makes more sense with the table in place. I didn't see that when I was making it as we don't use the table much and often leave it at home. But I'll make a new one with USB up top.

Couldn't you just flip it upside down?

Yeah well, looks like you could. But I think I have an offset in the vertical location of screw holes , I don the think it's symmetrical about the horizontal axis.

I think...Smile

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Maybe I have Vanagon overkill disease. All 3 of these systems run off of auxiliary power.

I don’t think of it as USB but rather 5-volt power, as none of these systems I saw so far actually connect USB. I do have the USB hub that looks like this:

This Plugable USB hub is solid and charges an iPad quick. It supports any USB device and also connects to my MacBook. The really great thing about this one is that it powers external hard disks and supports the fast USB3 data transfer.

I also have this convenience unit in the dashboard:

http://powerwerx.com/panel-mount-dual-usb-device-charger
PowerWerx products are high quality and I strongly recommend them.

Thirdly, I have a dedicated 5-volt system for other devices that run on 5 volts, such as dashcams and Raspberry Pi:

This is a cheap 5 volt converter I bought off of eBay, but it has worked flawlessly for about 4 years. The voltage display was too bright blue so I stuck window tint on it. The back of the board is magnetized so it sticks to the sheet metal:

Outlets for this system are standard DC barrel jacks on all 4 sides for cameras, and a few others for other devices:

The size in case anyone wants to know is barrel connectors 1.35mm x 3.5mm. Ironically this size is standard on 5volt chargers and yet there is no such thing as a USB cable adapter. Thus I have to custom make a wire to powwr the dashcams from these outlets. But its worth it because I can turn on and off the cameras from a central location.
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Used a dremel to cut out the stock fridge vent and installed two Blue Sea lighter sockets. Works great, easy, and I can install any type of charger needed. I usually use an Anker 2 port USB quick charger plus our laptop charger (12v plug, less juice than an inverter).
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

I just bought a 2 port USB cigarette sized plug and it has a blue LED on it. So that is drawing constant power now (although I didn't check how much).
I thought it would light up when something was plugged in, not on all the time. It seems to be a pretty standard style USB port.

What are you guys doing? Leaving the led on all the time, adding a switch? Or did you find one that doesn't have a light?

Dave
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

I added a couple of ON-OFF-ON (double throw with centre off) switches. They switch between main and aux battery, plus off when not required. These also switch the extra 12V outlets.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Has anyone had any problems with of the placement of these outlets? Interfere with the function of your Westy. Having to unplug a cord so you can open a cabinet door? Or kicking outlets plugs mounted on front face of the rear bench? Or if you have done the mod of your rear table can go straight up and you mount your USB's on the reefer vent?

Making sure things are idiot( or drunk) proof so nothing gets broken. Shocked Very Happy Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Voltmeter on the left, Blue Seas double USB on the right, centrally-located so my kids can charge their devices. I have them wired into my house battery under the bench.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

for the installs in the side of the stove, what are you guys using for a ground?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Here's an older very similar thread with lots of creative ideas:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=20

I really like McVanagon's USB installation from that thread:

Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Stephenmarklay wrote:
figborg wrote:
I like this by CVC by I haven't bought it yet. I may make my own with a voltmeter.
http://campervanculture.com/shop/westfalia-fridge-vent-plate-with-high-quality-power-points-grey/

From their site:
[pic]

I just ordered this today. The pound is really down this weekend so it was like $57 shipped. Since it includes the plugs its actually a pretty darn good deal.
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Nice! Post a pic when you install it. They also have it brown but they only had one in stock last I ckecked.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

figborg wrote:
Nice! Post a pic when you install it. They also have it brown but they only had one in stock last I ckecked.

I did not even notice the brown. Really since is a grate the gray will look fine. If I don’t think so when I install it I will rattle can it. Gowesty has matching brown cans.
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
for the installs in the side of the stove, what are you guys using for a ground?

I grounded to the ground screw on the top of the stock Dometic fridge.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

WestleyTheWesty wrote:
Merian wrote:

I grounded to the ground screw on the top of the stock Dometic fridge.

I am running everything back to a fuse block with a ground pole. I have been using west marine 2 pair wiring so its neat and tidy.
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Stephenmarklay wrote:
figborg wrote:

I did not even notice the brown. Really since is a grate the gray will look fine. If I don’t think so when I install it I will rattle can it. Gowesty has matching brown cans.

Contact them, you may still have time:
http://campervanculture.com/shop/westfalia-fridge-vent-plate-with-high-quality-power-points-brown/

Update: I see they have run out of this color now.[/b]
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

figborg wrote:
Stephenmarklay wrote:
figborg wrote:

Contact them, you may still have time:

Update: I see they have run out of this color now.[/b]

Thank you. I did email anyway. It says it will be back in stock soon and my van is not moving until spring. Either way is fine really but if they get brown in I would take it.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your USB chargers Reply with quote

Blue sea recently released some new fast charge USB adapters. Instead if the old 2.4a plug which makes each port 1.2a the new one is a 4.8a plug that gives 2.4a per port. Plus! They ditched the annoying LED light.

Blue Sea 4.8a Charger
http://amzn.to/2bjSBbP

I'll be ditching all of my old Blue Sea USB sockets for these new ones...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: